|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poem does Hugo describe as being "not good Hopkins"?
(a) "The Golden Echo".
(b) "The Silver Jubilee".
(c) "The Handsome Heart".
(d) "The Sea Took Pity".
2. One of Hugo's assumptions states that the name of the triggering town must appear _____.
(a) In the title.
(b) At the beginning of the denouement.
(c) In the first paragraph.
(d) At the very end.
3. One assumption has the _____ being run by a kind man who lets kids in for free when nobody is looking.
(a) Penny arcade.
(b) Swimming pool.
(d) Movie house.
4. What do the people in one assumption do to ward off boredom?
(a) Drink constantly.
(b) Build houses for the poor.
(c) Commit adultery.
(d) Eat constantly.
5. Hugo says that Roethke only wanted _____ in his class because you can teach them.
(a) Brave young men.
(b) Innocent young chicks.
(c) Graduate students.
(d) Senior citizens.
6. What is poorly maintained in one assumption, causing only a few people to attend events there?
(a) The performing arts center.
(b) The high school gymnasium.
(c) The ballpark.
(d) The college.
7. The two prostitutes in an assumption are nice to everyone but _____.
(a) The mayor.
(b) Their mothers.
(c) Each other.
(d) The author.
8. Which poet does Hugo believes appears to be usual when he is, in fact, a near-perfect example of the unusual in that he is one of the best poets out there?
(a) Mark Strand.
(b) William Stafford.
(d) Wallace Stevens.
9. In one assumption, Hugo is an _____ who returns to the town.
(a) Army deserter.
(b) Action star.
(c) Old farmhand.
10. Hugo teaches that one way of getting into the world of the imagination is to focus on the play rather than the _____ of words.
11. Hugo says that once a language exists only to convey information, it is _____.
12. The town doctor in one of the assumptions is _____.
(a) Dying of cancer.
(b) A gifted healer.
(c) Corrupt and incompetent.
(d) Also the town drunk.
13. Which poet tells Hugo that he has a hard time breaking Roethke's hold on him?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Richard Wagner.
(d) David Wagoner.
14. Which Shakespeare play has Regan and Cornwall blinding Gloucester?
(a) King Lear.
(b) Twelfth Night.
15. Who remarks that American poetry could not help but get better and better?
(c) David Wagoner.
(d) Mark Strand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo suggests the poet finish the poem first, then worry about being _____.
2. The town druggist on an assumption is _____.
3. According to Hugo, poets can go into the world of the imagination, and not feel so threatened that they _____.
4. Who says "...the more I practice, the luckier I get."?
5. Hugo offers one way of getting off the triggering subject by suggesting that one use words for the sake of their _____.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)