|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hugo, poets can go into the world of the imagination, and not feel so threatened that they _____.
(a) Become impotent.
(b) Burn their rough drafts.
(c) Use profanity.
(d) Become arrogant.
2. Which artist does Hugo think is interpreted as a weirdo when one first sees his paintings?
(a) Salvador Dali.
(b) Hieronymus Bosch.
(c) Vincent Van Gogh.
(d) Claude Monet.
3. Hugo hopes that the student reading his book learns to write like _____.
(c) The author.
4. Hugo states that the earth takes its configurations from the _____.
(a) The laws of nature.
(b) Topography of the landscape.
(c) Time of day.
(d) Type of weather occurrances
5. When writing a poem, what does Hugo suggest leaves a person more options?
6. Which poet does Hugo believes appears to be usual when he is, in fact, a near-perfect example of the unusual in that he is one of the best poets out there?
(a) Wallace Stevens.
(c) William Stafford.
(d) Mark Strand.
7. The town doctor in one of the assumptions is _____.
(a) Also the town drunk.
(b) A gifted healer.
(c) Corrupt and incompetent.
(d) Dying of cancer.
8. The two prostitutes in an assumption are nice to everyone but _____.
(a) Each other.
(b) The author.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Their mothers.
9. The grain elevator in one assumption is _____.
(a) Rusted through.
(d) Completely full.
10. Hugo states that people take their identities from their _____.
(d) Art work.
11. Who says that poets don't take things as seriously as other people?
12. Which poet tells Hugo that he has a hard time breaking Roethke's hold on him?
(a) David Wagoner.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Richard Wagner.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
13. Hugo says that for Roehtke, the rules are simply one way to help a poet get to _____.
(b) A master's degree.
(c) The gold.
14. People who hated the town left long ago and are wealthy in ____ in one assumption.
(c) South Africa.
15. Which colleague of Hugo's points out that "if you are not risking sentimentality, you are not close to your inner self"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The hermit in one of Hugo's assumptions eats mostly _____.
2. According to Hugo, Valery says that when words are used to convey information, they _____.
3. How much snow hits the town every year in one assumption?
4. How does Hugo describe Roethke's clothes?
5. Who says "...the more I practice, the luckier I get."?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)