|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All the poets that Hugo knows have an unusually strong _____.
(b) Moral sense.
(c) Taste for danger.
(d) Need for approval.
2. Hugo says that once a language exists only to convey information, it is _____.
3. One of Hugo's assumptions states that the name of the triggering town must appear _____.
(a) At the very end.
(b) In the title.
(c) In the first paragraph.
(d) At the beginning of the denouement.
4. What is Buzz Green's previous profession?
(a) Train conductor.
(b) Oil rig worker.
(c) Symphony conductor.
(d) Jazz musician.
5. Why does Hugo think his idea of the triggering town causes ideas for poems to come out more easily?
(a) Because it works for him.
(b) Because it opens up psychic channels.
(c) Because it is free of personal association.
(d) Because one has intense attachment to it.
6. Hugo states that some traditionalists seem to think that _____ exist to be solved for their own sake, as if the poet is an engineer.
7. What is poorly maintained in one assumption, causing only a few people to attend events there?
(a) The performing arts center.
(b) The ballpark.
(c) The high school gymnasium.
(d) The college.
8. In one of Hugo's assumptions, _____ at the farmer's market is punishable by death.
(a) Eating mushrooms.
(c) Selling corn.
9. The purpose of the triggering town is to serve as a _____ for the poem.
(a) Base of operations.
(b) Place to leave bad ideas.
(c) Literal setting.
(d) Common ground.
10. Hugo offers one way of getting off the triggering subject by suggesting that one use words for the sake of their _____.
11. Hugo suggests the poet finish the poem first, then worry about being _____.
(c) Judged by his peers.
(d) Right or sane.
12. Hugo teaches that one way of getting into the world of the imagination is to focus on the play rather than the _____ of words.
13. Hugo advises that the hard work put in on the first poem is responsible for the _____ of the second.
(a) Sudden ease.
(c) Longer length.
(d) Lack of inspiration.
14. Which Shakespeare play has Regan and Cornwall blinding Gloucester?
(a) King Lear.
(b) Twelfth Night.
15. Where do people sit a lot in one assumption?
(a) On swings in the park.
(b) On their porches.
(c) On their sofas.
(d) In their cars at stoplights that don't work.
Short Answer Questions
1. When writing a poem, what does Hugo suggest leaves a person more options?
2. Which clever, witty writer is described by Hugo as being able to conform the music of poetry to truth effectively?
3. Roethke is fond of quoting whose idea of "systematic derangement of the senses"?
4. What does Hugo say endures most in a poet's work?
5. Hugo believes that a public poet must be more intelligent than the reader so his _____ doesn't get in the way.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)