|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stray Thoughts on Roethke and Teaching.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugo believes that a public poet must be more intelligent than the reader so his _____ doesn't get in the way.
(a) Common sense.
(d) Lack of common sense.
2. Hugo states that people take their identities from their _____.
(d) Art work.
3. Hugo states that the earth takes its configurations from the _____.
(a) Time of day.
(b) Topography of the landscape.
(c) Type of weather occurrances
(d) The laws of nature.
4. According to Hugo, Valery says that when words are used to convey information, they _____.
(d) Become true.
5. Which poet tells Hugo that he has a hard time breaking Roethke's hold on him?
(a) David Wagoner.
(b) Richard Wagner.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) Ezra Pound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Lou McGarrity play?
2. The hermit in one of Hugo's assumptions eats mostly _____.
3. What do the people in one assumption do to ward off boredom?
4. In the case of the snake poem, Hugo thinks that the author got off the initiating subject _____.
5. One of Hugo's assumptions states that the name of the triggering town must appear _____.
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)