|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Erna said to be in “His Uncle – Leni”?
2. When the Priest descends from the pulpit in ““In the Cathedral,” he tells K., “had to speak to you from a distance at first, otherwise I let myself be too easily influenced and forget” what?
3. How old is K.’s trial said to be in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
4. Who is the man who is sitting in the corner of Herr Huld’s room in “His Uncle – Leni”?
5. K. understands that it is his duty to do what with the knife in “The End”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting described in the opening of “The End”? Where is K. taken?
2. How does Block explain the predominance of superstition amongst the defendants in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
3. How are the women in the novel similar to Gatekeepers?
4. What is K.’s duty with the Italian Businessman in “In the Cathedral”? What does the Italian represent symbolically to K.?
5. How is the lighting inside the cathedral described in “In the Cathedral”? What does this represent?
6. How can K.’s character be seen as a reflection of Adam from the Bible in The Trial?
7. What does Block tell K. about his impressions on the defendants in the Court Offices in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
8. What does Titorelli explain to K. about the nature of the system in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
9. How would you characterize the relationship between Block and Dr. Huld in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
10. How does the author employ the use of shadows and ambiguity in the novel? What does this represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Titorelli in the novel. How does Titorelli regard K. when he arrives? What questions does he ask? What are K.’s impressions of the painter? What does Titorelli represent symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Leni in the novel. What draws K. to this character? What promises does Leni make to K. in “His Uncle – Leni”? How does K. respond when he sees Leni’s “physical defect”? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze K.’s objectives and obstacles when he commits to the action of kissing Fraülein Bürstner in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach.” What does K. hope to achieve through this action? Is he successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)