|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” means to clear of an accusation?
2. What does one of the guards do to K. after they’ve stopped and rested outside the city in “The End”?
3. How old is Erna said to be in “His Uncle – Leni”?
4. What word from “In the Cathedral” refers to an official of a church charged with tending to the care of the edifice and its contents, ringing the bell, and sometimes with burying the dead?
5. When the Priest descends from the pulpit in ““In the Cathedral,” he tells K., “had to speak to you from a distance at first, otherwise I let myself be too easily influenced and forget” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize the relationship between Block and Dr. Huld in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
2. Who does K. meet with in his office in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”? What does this character give to K.?
3. What does Block tell K. about his impressions on the defendants in the Court Offices in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
4. How does the ambiguous court system in The Trial relate to the historical context of anti-Semitism?
5. How are the women in the novel similar to Gatekeepers?
6. What is K.’s duty with the Italian Businessman in “In the Cathedral”? What does the Italian represent symbolically to K.?
7. What is K. supposed to do with the butcher knife in “The End”? What does he do instead?
8. What element of symbolism in The Trial connects K. to the theme of “Original Sin”?
9. How is the character of Block described in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”? What was his position prior to his trial?
10. How is the character of Titorelli described in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the characters of Bertold and the Usher’s Wife in the novel. What is Bertold a student of? How do the Usher and the Usher’s Wife describe his character? What power does Bertold hold within the courts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Franz and Willem in the novel. Why does K. attempt to save Franz and Willem from the Thrasher? How have the demeanors of these characters changed since their initial introduction in “The Arrest”? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Josef K. as the protagonist of The Trial. What was K.’s life like prior to the arrival of the guards that appear in “The Arrest”? What is K.’s position within his society? What do you find to be K.’s “fatal flaw” in the story?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)