|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer” means characterized by sickly sentimentality?
2. The narrator says in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” that “the hierarchy and upper echelons of the court were” what?
3. At what time does the Italian Businessman suggest meeting K. at the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
4. What is K.’s response when Titorelli asks him in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter,” “Are you innocent?”
5. When the Priest descends from the pulpit in ““In the Cathedral,” he tells K., “had to speak to you from a distance at first, otherwise I let myself be too easily influenced and forget” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is K. contemplating in the opening of “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
2. How is the character of Titorelli described in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
3. How does the parable from “In the Cathedral” relate to the story as a whole?
4. How can K.’s character be seen as a reflection of Adam from the Bible in The Trial?
5. What does Block tell K. about his impressions on the defendants in the Court Offices in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
6. How would you characterize the relationship between Block and Dr. Huld in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
7. What element of symbolism in The Trial connects K. to the theme of “Original Sin”?
8. How has K.’s plight as an individual against society turned out in “The End”?
9. In what ways does K. demonstrate the theme of the individual versus society in The Trial?
10. What is K.’s duty with the Italian Businessman in “In the Cathedral”? What does the Italian represent symbolically to K.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of the courtroom. Where in town is the court held? How does the narrator describe this area? What is the building of the courtroom like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the realistic elements of the court system depicted in The Trial. In what ways is Kafka’s depiction realistic in relating the intricacies of the legal system of his time? How did the buildup toward World War I influence the way courts were held during the period in which the novel was written?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of the Examining Magistrate in “The First Hearing.” What is this character’s power within the courtroom? How does the Examining Magistrate greet K.? What does this character represent symbolically in the story?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)