|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does K. say repeatedly to the woman and man who help him out of the Court Offices in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
2. What is the name of the strange guard that opens K.’s door when he rings for his breakfast in the beginning of “The Arrest”?
3. What word refers to a fictional society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening?
4. The narrator describes K. as generally staying at the office until what time in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
5. What word from “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” means to break away from constituted authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the weather described on the day K. goes to find the courthouse in “The First Hearing”? How is K.’s demeanor?
2. Describe the setting of The Trial. How does the author establish the setting in “The Arrest”?
3. What information has K. learned about his coming hearing in the opening of “The First Hearing”? How did he gain this information?
4. Why is K. incapable of handling his trial in the same ways that he handles his work at the bank?
5. How is the atmosphere of the setting described in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
6. How is K.’s behavior toward Fraülein Bürstner in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach” relative to his actions as a whole in the novel?
7. Who is Fraülein Bürstner? How is her character described in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
8. What does Willem say of his and Franz’s careers prior to K.’s accusations in “The Thrasher”?
9. How are the Examining Magistrate’s books described in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”? What happens to the Usher’s Wife in the chapter?
10. How is the character of Frau Grubach introduced in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of the courtroom. Where in town is the court held? How does the narrator describe this area? What is the building of the courtroom like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Titorelli in the novel. How does Titorelli regard K. when he arrives? What questions does he ask? What are K.’s impressions of the painter? What does Titorelli represent symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting established in “The Arrest.” How large is the boarding house where K. lives with Frau Grubach and others? What part of town is the boarding house located in? How far away is the bank where K. works?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)