|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second book that K. examines in the courtroom in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” is a novel titled what?
2. What is the name of the strange guard that opens K.’s door when he rings for his breakfast in the beginning of “The Arrest”?
3. What word from “The Thrasher” means to secure or bring about by force?
4. What word from “The First Hearing” refers to a vicious or depraved person?
5. It is K.’s birthday in the opening of “The Arrest.” How old is K. turning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the weather described on the day K. goes to find the courthouse in “The First Hearing”? How is K.’s demeanor?
2. What is Josef K.’s central plight in “The Arrest”? How does he go about achieving his goal?
3. What excuse does Willem give K. for his previous behavior in “The Thrasher”?
4. Who does K. find at the courtroom on the week after his first hearing in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
5. Where does the Usher lead K. in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”? How is this setting described?
6. Describe the setting of The Trial. How does the author establish the setting in “The Arrest”?
7. What does Franz say when he grovels to K. for help in “The Thrasher”?
8. What response does K. receive when he asks the three men in the lumber-room, “What are you doing here” in “The Thrasher”?
9. Why does the Thrasher tell K. he shouldn’t believe everything the guards say in “The Thrasher”?
10. How is the atmosphere of the setting described in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Leni in the novel. What draws K. to this character? What promises does Leni make to K. in “His Uncle – Leni”? How does K. respond when he sees Leni’s “physical defect”? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Elsa in the novel. What are K.’s feelings about Elsa? Do you think his feelings are purely physical? Does K. show any jealousy for the other men that frequent Elsa’s room?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characters of Bertold and the Usher’s Wife in the novel. What is Bertold a student of? How do the Usher and the Usher’s Wife describe his character? What power does Bertold hold within the courts?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)