|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the proceedings against him, K. tells the Examining Magistrate, “[L]et us say I do recognize them, out of” what?
2. The Usher tells K. as they pass through the waiting room of the Court Offices in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices,” “Most of the defendants are very” what?
3. Whose cook is said to bring K. his breakfast around eight every morning in “The Arrest”?
4. What word from “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” means to break away from constituted authority?
5. At what time does K. plan to arrive at the courtroom on the day of his first hearing in “The First Hearing”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Examining Magistrate described in “The First Hearing”? What does he ask K.?
2. Who does K. find at the courtroom on the week after his first hearing in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
3. How are the Examining Magistrate’s books described in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”? What happens to the Usher’s Wife in the chapter?
4. What response does K. receive when he asks the three men in the lumber-room, “What are you doing here” in “The Thrasher”?
5. What does Franz say when he grovels to K. for help in “The Thrasher”?
6. What is K. doing in the opening of “The Arrest”? How does the narrator describe the reason for his arrest in this chapter?
7. Who is Fraülein Bürstner? How is her character described in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
8. How is K.’s resistance to the system perceived in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
9. Where does the Usher lead K. in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”? How is this setting described?
10. What is K.’s reaction to the invitation given him by the Deputy Manager in “The First Hearing”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Frau Grubach in the novel. How old is Frau Grubach? Why does she “depend on” K.? How much money do you think she’s borrowed from him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting established in “The Arrest.” How large is the boarding house where K. lives with Frau Grubach and others? What part of town is the boarding house located in? How far away is the bank where K. works?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Franz and Willem in the novel. Why does K. attempt to save Franz and Willem from the Thrasher? How have the demeanors of these characters changed since their initial introduction in “The Arrest”? Why?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)