|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Frau Grubach’s nephew?
2. Where does Frau Grubach say Fraülein Bürstner has gone in the evening when K. returns home in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
3. K. hears groans coming from behind a door in his office building that “he had always assumed, without having actually seen it himself, that there was nothing but” what, in “The Thrasher”?
4. When K. is met by scowling children on his way up the stairs to the courtroom in “The First Hearing,” he thinks to himself, “If I have to come here again, I’ll either have to bring some sweets, to win them over, or” what?
5. Which of the subordinate bank employees in “The Arrest” is described as “stiff, swinging his arms” and apathetic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franz say when he grovels to K. for help in “The Thrasher”?
2. How is K.’s behavior toward Fraülein Bürstner in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach” relative to his actions as a whole in the novel?
3. How is the character of Willem described n “The Arrest”? How does he compare to Franz?
4. What does K. find at the address for the courtroom in “The First Hearing”?
5. How is the character of Franz introduced in “The Arrest”? What is Franz’s assessment of K.?
6. How are the people in the courtroom situated in “The First Hearing”? How is this arrangement symbolic?
7. What is K. doing in the opening of “The Arrest”? How does the narrator describe the reason for his arrest in this chapter?
8. How is the character of Frau Grubach introduced in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
9. How are the Examining Magistrate’s books described in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”? What happens to the Usher’s Wife in the chapter?
10. Why is K. incapable of handling his trial in the same ways that he handles his work at the bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of the Examining Magistrate in “The First Hearing.” What is this character’s power within the courtroom? How does the Examining Magistrate greet K.? What does this character represent symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Titorelli in the novel. How does Titorelli regard K. when he arrives? What questions does he ask? What are K.’s impressions of the painter? What does Titorelli represent symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Josef K. as the protagonist of The Trial. What was K.’s life like prior to the arrival of the guards that appear in “The Arrest”? What is K.’s position within his society? What do you find to be K.’s “fatal flaw” in the story?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)