|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Priest descends from the pulpit in ““In the Cathedral,” he tells K., “had to speak to you from a distance at first, otherwise I let myself be too easily influenced and forget” what?
(a) My inheritance
(b) Your guilt
(c) My official duty
(d) Your innocence
2. When K. enters the hallway to see what the crashing sound was at Herr Huld’s home, Huld’s maid tells K. that the noise was caused by what, in “His Uncle – Leni”?
(a) A dog crashing into the kitchen
(b) Her throwing a plate against the wall
(c) An intruder trying to break into the house
(d) Her dropping the tea set
3. It’s after what time when K. rings on Herr Huld’s door in the beginning of “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
4. How long does Herr Block say his trial has been going on in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
(a) Over a year
(b) Over 2 years
(c) Over six months
(d) Over 5 years
5. What part of Italy does the narrator say the Italian Businessman is from in “In the Cathedral”?
(a) Eastern Italy
(b) Northern Italy
(c) Western Italy
(d) Southern Italy
Short Answer Questions
1. Herr Block tells K. after the maid’s disappearance that she’s probably in the kitchen making what for Herr Huld in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
2. Herr Block says in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer,” “I will remind you of the old axiom: ‘For a suspect, movement is better than staying still, for someone who is still can always, without realizing it, be in the scales and be weighed with’” what?
3. Titorelli tells K. in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” that the painting in his apartment is of Justice combined with whom?
4. In the letter from Erna to Uncle Karl, she writes that she visited K. at the bank but wasn’t allowed to see him because he was busy. How long does Erna say she waited?
5. The Trial was written between 1914 and 1915 but was not published until what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Block described in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”? What was his position prior to his trial?
2. How is the character of Leni described in “His Uncle – Leni”?
3. How is the setting described in the opening of “The End”? Where is K. taken?
4. How is K. first introduced to Herr Block in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
5. How does the ambiguous court system in The Trial relate to the historical context of anti-Semitism?
6. What does the character of Titorelli represent symbolically in The Trial?
7. How has K.’s plight as an individual against society turned out in “The End”?
8. What is K. supposed to do with the butcher knife in “The End”? What does he do instead?
9. How does the author employ the use of shadows and ambiguity in the novel? What does this represent?
10. How is the lighting inside the cathedral described in “In the Cathedral”? What does this represent?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)