|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. K. understands that it is his duty to do what with the knife in “The End”?
(a) Take it and stab the guards
(b) Take it and throw it into the fire
(c) Take it and run
(d) Take it and stab himself
2. What object does Herr Huld’s maid give to K. so that he can return and visit her in “His Uncle – Leni”?
(a) Her telephone number
(b) A map to her room
(c) Her private address
(d) A door key
3. At what time does the Italian Businessman suggest meeting K. at the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
4. What part of Italy does the narrator say the Italian Businessman is from in “In the Cathedral”?
(a) Southern Italy
(b) Northern Italy
(c) Western Italy
(d) Eastern Italy
5. How is the weather described on the day that K. goes to meet the Italian Businessman at the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
Short Answer Questions
1. It’s after what time when K. rings on Herr Huld’s door in the beginning of “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
2. What word from “In the Cathedral” refers to an official of a church charged with tending to the care of the edifice and its contents, ringing the bell, and sometimes with burying the dead?
3. At what time does the priest begin ascending the pulpit presumably to give a sermon in “In the Cathedral”?
4. Herr Block tells K. in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer” that the defendants tend toward superstition. “One of these superstitions, for example, is that many claim they can see the outcome of the trial in the defendant’s face, especially in the marking of” what?
5. What does the Priest call out as K. attempts to slip out of the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the women in the novel similar to Gatekeepers?
2. What is Uncle Karl’s attitude when he arrives at the bank in “His Uncle – Leni”?
3. How is the setting described in the opening of “The End”? Where is K. taken?
4. What does Titorelli explain to K. about the nature of the system in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
5. How is K. first introduced to Herr Block in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
6. How has K.’s plight as an individual against society turned out in “The End”?
7. How is the character of Dr. Huld described in “His Uncle – Leni”?
8. How does the ambiguous court system in The Trial relate to the historical context of anti-Semitism?
9. How is the character of Titorelli described in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
10. How is the character of Block described in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”? What was his position prior to his trial?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)