|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization had K. been a member of relating to art history, as described in “In the Cathedral”?
(a) The Society of Artists, Authors, and Actors
(b) The Society for the Betterment of Arts and Literature
(c) The Association for the Preservation of the City Monuments
(d) The Association for the Museum of Modern Art
2. As K. resists against the two strangers who take him away from his apartment in “The End,” he envisions what creatures tearing their own legs off?
3. K. thinks to himself as he is escorted from his apartment by the strangers in “The End,” “The only thing I can do now is to retain a calm clarity of mind right to the end. I was always trying to interfere in the world with” what?
(a) Ten hands
(b) Six hands
(c) Two hands
(d) Five hands
4. At what time does the priest begin ascending the pulpit presumably to give a sermon in “In the Cathedral”?
5. What is K.’s response when Titorelli asks him in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter,” “Are you innocent?”
(b) That depends
(d) I don't know
Short Answer Questions
1. In Erna’s letter to Uncle Karl, she writes that when she was unable to see K. at the bank, she had to return home because she had what appointment in “His Uncle – Leni”?
2. How long does Herr Block say his trial has been going on in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
3. What word from “In the Cathedral” refers to an ornamental rail with supports?
4. What word, used by Herr Huld’s maid in “His Uncle – Leni,” means refusing to agree or compromise; inflexible?
5. Herr Block tells K. in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer” that waiting is not pointless. “The only thing that is pointless is” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is K. contemplating in the opening of “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
2. How is the character of Titorelli described in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
3. How would you characterize the relationship between Block and Dr. Huld in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
4. How does the ambiguous court system in The Trial relate to the historical context of anti-Semitism?
5. What does Uncle Karl relate to K. about his actions and their reflection on the family in “His Uncle – Leni”?
6. How are the women in the novel similar to Gatekeepers?
7. How does Block explain the predominance of superstition amongst the defendants in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
8. How is the character of Block described in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”? What was his position prior to his trial?
9. What does the character of Titorelli represent symbolically in The Trial?
10. What is represented metaphorically in the scene between K., the Bank President, and the Italian Businessman in “In the Cathedral”?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)