|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from “The Thrasher” means to secure or bring about by force?
2. Where does Fraülein Bürstner say Frau Grubach’s nephew is sleeping in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
(a) In the living room
(b) In the basement
(c) In the kitchen
(d) In the adjoining bedroom
3. When K. leaves Fräulein Bürstner’s room at the end of “A Conversation with Frau Grubach,” he thinks “for a while about the way he had behaved; he was” what?
(a) Worried sick about it
(b) Satisfied with it
(c) Deeply troubled by it
(d) Uncomfortable but serene
4. On what day of the week does K. return to the courtroom in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
5. The guards tell K. that they are hired to stand guard of him in his apartment how many hours a day in “The Arrest”?
6. What is the name of Frau Grubach’s nephew?
7. The Usher’s Wife tells K. that yesterday, the Examining Magistrate sent the student to her with a gift of what in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
(a) Silk stockings
(b) A necklace
(c) A box of chocolates
(d) A dozen roses
8. Where does Frau Grubach say Fraülein Bürstner has gone in the evening when K. returns home in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
(a) To a jazz bar
(b) To her lover’s house
(c) To the theatre
(d) To church
9. When did World War I begin?
(a) June 30, 1915
(b) September 2, 1911
(c) July 28, 1914
(d) January 16, 1912
10. What is K.’s position at the bank where he works in the novel?
(b) Chief Financial Officer
(d) Morning desk clerk
11. What is Frau Grubach’s relationship to K.?
(a) She is his niece
(b) She is his landlady
(c) She is his mother
(d) She is his aunt
12. Which of the guards being thrashed says he has a family to feed in “The Thrasher”?
13. What does K. find when he opens the door in his office the second time where he’d previously seen the thrasher and the guards in “The Thrasher”?
(a) There is no sign of the Thrasher or the guards
(b) There is a judge beating the Thrasher there
(c) The Thrasher and the guards are still there
(d) The courtroom has appeared in the room
14. What does K. drink shots of from his wall cabinet while the guards watch him in the beginning of “The Arrest”?
15. When does Fraülein Bürstner say she’s starting work as a secretary at a lawyer’s office when speaking with K. in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
(a) Next week
(b) Next year
(d) Next month
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” refers to a complete change of form, structure, or substance?
2. What woman is accosted in the courtroom in “The First Hearing”?
3. Which of the guards does the Thrasher say got fat from eating breakfasts at all his arrests in “The Thrasher”?
4. What is the name of the strange guard that opens K.’s door when he rings for his breakfast in the beginning of “The Arrest”?
5. K. decides when looking for the courtroom in “The First Hearing” to ask around for a carpenter named what?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)