|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many flats does the Usher say the student has been kicked out of in this building for sneaking into them to chase women in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
2. Where does K. see Kaminer on his way to the courtroom in “The First Hearing”?
(a) On a train
(b) At the library
(c) At a café
(d) On a bus
3. What is the name of the strange guard that opens K.’s door when he rings for his breakfast in the beginning of “The Arrest”?
4. Which of the guards being thrashed says he has a family to feed in “The Thrasher”?
5. What subordinate bank employee is described in “The Arrest” as having an “intolerable smile caused by a chronic muscular spasm”?
6. What does K. say repeatedly to the woman and man who help him out of the Court Offices in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
(a) Thank you very much
(b) Call the Examining Magistrate
(c) Don’t touch me
(d) I need to see the Usher
7. What countries comprised the Allied Powers in the beginning of World War I?
(a) Germany and Austria-Hungary
(b) France, Spain, and Germany
(c) The United Kingdom, France and the Russian Empire
(d) Japan, Israel, and the Russian Empire
8. Which of the guards does the Thrasher say got fat from eating breakfasts at all his arrests in “The Thrasher”?
9. The second book that K. examines in the courtroom in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” is a novel titled what?
(a) The Torrential Downpour upon the Ungrateful and Unworthy
(b) The Trial
(c) The Torments Grete Had to Suffer from her Husband Hans
(d) Little Women
10. When does the Examining Magistrate in the courtroom say K. should have been there when K. arrives in “The First Hearing”?
(a) Thirty minutes ago
(b) Two hours and ten minutes ago
(c) Two and a half hours ago
(d) An hour and five minutes ago
11. What does K. tell the messengers the sound is from when the guards scream as they’re beaten in “The Thrasher”?
(a) An owl passing the window
(b) A howling dog
(c) Him sneezing
(d) A woman in the alley
12. Of the proceedings against him, K. tells the Examining Magistrate, “[L]et us say I do recognize them, out of” what?
13. Speaking to the Usher’s Wife, K. tells her, “You could tell the examining magistrate, or anyone else who likes spreading important news, that none of the many tricks these gentlemen presumably have up their sleeves will ever persuade me to” what?
(b) Run from the law
(c) Plead Innocent
(d) Offer a bribe
14. The guards at K.’s house tell him that his jacket for the meeting with the supervisor must be what color in the beginning of “The Arrest”?
15. What is the name of the man from the state prosecution office that K. tells the supervisor is his friend in “The Arrest”?
Short Answer Questions
1. The next room to K.’s in “The Arrest” has been taken by “a typist, who went off to work very early and came back late.” What is this character’s name?
2. One of the guards being thrashed in “The Thrasher” tells K. that “it’s a tradition that” what “goes to the guards”?
3. What word from “The First Hearing” refers to a vicious or depraved person?
4. The supervisor who enters K.’s home after the guards in “The Arrest” tells him, “Think less about us and what is going to happen to you, think more about” what?
5. What is the name of the student that the Usher’s Wife says has been pursuing her for some time in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)