|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of social creature is mentioned?
2. Socrates intends to uphold _______________.
3. Life is considered to be a(n) __________________.
4. In this section the philosophers study Socrates' theory of ____________.
5. Where does Socrates want his children to be raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates not fear death? What is the philosopher's view on the subject?
2. Socrates discusses absolutes and makes a comparison to another important topic. What is the topic and what point does Socrates make?
3. At this point, Socrates develops and expounds on a new theory. What is the theory and how is it explained?
4. What extensive discussion takes place between Socrates and Cebes?
5. What is Socrates final request to Crito?
6. What plea does Crito make to Socrates? What is the reasoning behind the plea?
7. What is Socrates' theory on the return of the soul to the known world?
8. Embracing the theory of opposites, how might an incorruptible soul return to the known world?
9. What detailed question is asked of Socrates by Cebes regarding the soul?
10. To what does Socrates compare life and death? How does the philosopher explain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates denies that he is an atheist. In fact, Socrates claims that he does believe in some divine things. What does Socrates believe? Do you think Socrates is an atheist? How do Socrates' beliefs mirror those as presented in the Bible and other religious texts? Could Socrates' religious beliefs or lack thereof affect the trial and its outcome? What exactly does Socrates believe in reference to a supreme being or other divine source?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the reaction of Socrates when he was informed that he would be arrested and tried by the Athenian Council. What were the official charges? Who instigated the case? Why? Who investigated the claims made against Socrates? What did Socrates do to prepare for the trial? How did Socrates defend himself?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities, education and philosophies of Socrates and Plato.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)