|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the place located?
2. Socrates believes that corruption leads to what?
3. What, in Socrates' eyes, is a pointless solution to his crimes?
4. Where did the young man go?
5. What is Socrates' proposed punishment.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Euthyphro reply to Socrates' question regarding the definition of piety?
2. Why did Euthyphro visit Socrates? What crime has taken place?
3. Who is the young man referenced? Why does he take a journey? Who/What does he see? Why?
4. For what does Socrates apologize in the beginning of the dialogue?
5. What is Socrates' reaction to the concept that he could live if only he would stop practicing his philosophy?
6. Did Socrates only speak to the youth of Athens? If not, who else attended him?
7. What did the young man learn on the trip? Why would people believe the information?
8. Who often approached Socrates to gain valuable information and insight? What did they want to learn?
9. What topic does Socrates want to explore with Euthyphro? To what end?
10. What is the verdict in the case? What is Socrates' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people believe that Plato was the actual author of the Four Dialogues, not Socrates. Discuss this possibility. Also discuss the tradition of a student writing and publicizing the work of a revered teacher. How is that not dishonest or even considered to be plagiarism? In what areas was this common practice? Does it still happen today?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 1000 word essay on the subject or reincarnation. Include its most popular definition and which culture most subscribes to the idea. How does reincarnation fit into the traditional modern church? Is it possible to prove or disprove that some one or thing has been reincarnated? Which culture originated the concept? How does it occur? How might one be able to tell if some one or thing has been reincarnated?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of discussion about the soul. What is the main theme regarding the soul as it relates to morality? What proof is there that the soul exists? How does Socrates explain the soul? How is it possible that the soul can be incorruptible if the body is not beyond being corrupted? How can one stay pure while the other does not? What might cause the separation of the soul from the physical body? Can a soul be destroyed?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)