|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one possible outcome of Socrates' upcoming trial?
2. Who is Euthyphro afraid to confront?
3. Which of the following is not on the list of things lusted for by man?
4. Socrates believes that humanity is defined by which of the following?
5. Socrates claims to lack which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Socrates' advice to allies and supporters? How does Socrates view the trial's outcome?
2. Did Socrates only speak to the youth of Athens? If not, who else attended him?
3. What types of things might irony lead to in this case?
4. What is Socrates' opinion on the fear of death in the eyes of a philosopher?
5. How does Socrates react when confronted by Meletus?
6. What topic does Socrates want to explore with Euthyphro? To what end?
7. Why did Socrates stand before the court alone?
8. What is Socrates final request to Crito?
9. What is Socrates' reaction to the concept that he could live if only he would stop practicing his philosophy?
10. How does Socrates view his own brand of wisdom? What is it worth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates denies that he is an atheist. In fact, Socrates claims that he does believe in some divine things. What does Socrates believe? Do you think Socrates is an atheist? How do Socrates' beliefs mirror those as presented in the Bible and other religious texts? Could Socrates' religious beliefs or lack thereof affect the trial and its outcome? What exactly does Socrates believe in reference to a supreme being or other divine source?
Essay Topic 2
Give your overall view of the dialogues. Do you find it to be a valuable source of Socrates' work? How does it compare to similar works by Plato, Nietzsche, and other noted philosophers? What might have been added to or subtracted from the Dialogues to better inform the reader? Which part was the most enlightening to you? Which of Socrates' theories was most interesting to you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities, education and philosophies of Socrates and Plato.
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)