|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which topic is not among Socrates' dialogues?
2. What item is Socrates accused of "inventing"?
3. Where was the killer left?
4. Who makes the statement?
5. What is another word for "ideal"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the verdict in the case? What is Socrates' response?
2. What topic does Socrates want to explore with Euthyphro? To what end?
3. How does Socrates view his own brand of wisdom? What is it worth?
4. Who is the young man referenced? Why does he take a journey? Who/What does he see? Why?
5. Why is Socrates distressed when Euthyphro excuses himself?
6. What is Euthyphro's reaction upon hearing the charges against Socrates? How does Euthyphro attempt to reassures him?
7. What did the young man learn on the trip? Why would people believe the information?
8. To whom does Socrates compare himself? What is the contrast?
9. Why did Socrates stand before the court alone?
10. Why does Socrates believe he was found guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the general consensus was Socrates was arrested? Who was present during the announcement? Where did it take place? Why was the place significant? What was the reaction of the people present? Who was present? How did Socrates friends and followers deal with Socrates' impending trial, and ultimately, death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities, education and philosophies of Socrates and Plato.
Essay Topic 3
Chaerephon attempts to discredit Socrates in the Second Dialogue. What is the purpose of the act? How does Chaerephon attempt to portray Socrates as a fraud? To whom does Chaerephon turn? What is the outcome? Is it possible that the information received by Chaerephon is wrong? Explain. What other sources of information might be used by Chaerephon and others opposed to Socrates' work? How would any of the information affect the outcome of the trial?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)