|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inspires the state?
2. Which of the following was the charge against Socrates?
3. What item is Socrates accused of "inventing"?
4. Death is a cause for _____________.
5. It would be wrong to seek what from the judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates believe he was found guilty?
2. What topic does Socrates want to explore with Euthyphro? To what end?
3. In Socrates' mind, the concept of holiness is much like the chicken and the egg. Explain.
4. What types of things might irony lead to in this case?
5. What is Socrates' advice to allies and supporters? How does Socrates view the trial's outcome?
6. Who is the young man referenced? Why does he take a journey? Who/What does he see? Why?
7. What is Socrates' opinion on defending himself with anything but his own merits?
8. How does Socrates view his own brand of wisdom? What is it worth?
9. How does Socrates argue against Meletus' claims that he is an atheist?
10. Explain the collection of the Four Dialogues and which character they focus on the most.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Socrates broaches the question regarding being dear and being loved. Explain Socrates' reason for the question. Who participates in the conversation? What is the distinction between the two terms? How is it explained by Socrates? Is the use of the Socratic method effective in this conversation or does it merely cause more confusion for those in attendance as well as the reader? What was the final conclusion? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 2
One of the last things Socrates asks of Crito and the others is to ensure that his sons are raised in Athens. Why? How is it possible that Socrates does not fear for the life of his family and his sons considering the outcome of the trial? What is promised to Socrates by those present? What is expected of Socrates' sons? What is expected of Socrates' friends and students? Do you think Socrates' last request will be granted? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 1000 word essay on the subject or reincarnation. Include its most popular definition and which culture most subscribes to the idea. How does reincarnation fit into the traditional modern church? Is it possible to prove or disprove that some one or thing has been reincarnated? Which culture originated the concept? How does it occur? How might one be able to tell if some one or thing has been reincarnated?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)