|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What young man is introduced?
2. What nationality is the philosopher?
3. Socrates has no fear of which of the following?
4. Who is asked not to grieve for the outcome?
5. What happens to Euthyphro at the end of the first dialogue?
(a) He dies.
(b) He confronts his father.
(c) He goes to prison.
(d) He leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item is Socrates accused of "inventing"?
2. Why did the young man travel?
3. Where was the killer left?
4. Who is Euthyphro afraid to confront?
5. Socrates believed that individuals should strive to preserve and support what entity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic does Socrates want to explore with Euthyphro? To what end?
2. For what does Socrates apologize in the beginning of the dialogue?
3. Who often approached Socrates to gain valuable information and insight? What did they want to learn?
4. The two men discuss the similarities and differences of what two words? What is Socrates' question?
5. What is Socrates' advice to allies and supporters? How does Socrates view the trial's outcome?
6. How does Socrates react when confronted by Meletus?
7. What did the young man learn on the trip? Why would people believe the information?
8. What is the setting for the First Dialogue? Why is it important?
9. What is Socrates' opinion on defending himself with anything but his own merits?
10. To whom does Socrates compare himself? What is the contrast?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)