|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1272, who was appointed governor of Tudin-fu?
2. Who or what was Kara-moran?
3. Who governed Kael?
4. What was used as an antidote for poison?
5. Where did the Bramins derive their origin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
2. Tell about the extraordinary bird called rukh.
3. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
4. What was produced in great quantities in the kingdom of Kon-cha? What expensive vegetable was also found?
5. Where was the province of Karaian located and who governed it? Describe the ruler.
6. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
7. Chapter 43 talks about the mountainous people outside of the province of Kardandan. Why did these people exchange gold for silver with merchants?
8. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
9. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
10. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Incredible as the tales in the Travels of Marco Polo seem, they did inspire numerous people to travel East to find out about this exotic land for themselves. In this respect, Marco Polo launched a whole new age of exploration. Describe the effect the book had on Europeans and others, including the effect it specifically had on future explorers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the islands of Java and Java Minor, Maabar, and Madagascar. Which island do you think was the most valuable? Why? Which island was the least valuable? Why? Back up your answers with reasons from the book. Use Book 3, Chapters 7, 10, 20, and 36 as references.
Essay Topic 3
The Desert of Lop was vast and hard to cross. Compare and contrast the way Marco Polo crossed the Desert of Lop to the way you would have crossed the Desert of Lop during the Middle Ages.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)