|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many governments was Karaian divided into?
2. What was the distance between Kangigu and Amu?
3. What did the men of Lambri have?
4. Which sea was the island of Zipangu situated on?
5. Who was Mangalu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the practice of tattooing in the province of Kangigu. Who had this done, and how?
2. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
3. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
4. How could one enter the town of Pau-ghin, and why?
5. Describe the physical attributes of the men and women of Zenzibar.
6. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
7. Explain why King Dor was captured by Prester John's men. How was he captured? What became of him?
8. What were the inhabitants of Kael addicted to and why? Also describe the battle that ensued when one person was insulted by another.
9. Describe the marks of the Jews, Christians, and Saracens who lived in Abascia.
10. Where was the province of Karaian located and who governed it? Describe the ruler.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Formulate reasons why Marco Polo's book was then and is still today, an important historical book. Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
The grand khan was not persuaded by any one religion, thus, he honored Christians, Jews, Mahometans, and idolaters at their respective festivals. Discuss his motives for honoring each. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis. Use Book 2, Chapters 1-2 as a reference.
Essay Topic 3
Tauris was a large and noble city belonging to the province of Irak (Iraq), which contained many other cities and fortified places, but this was the largest and most important city. Tell how the inhabitants supported themselves, where they traded, what types of items might be found there, what type of people lived there, the type of gardens found there, and the religions. How does Iraq compare today? Use Book 1, Chapters 9-10 as a reference.
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)