|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was the memorable battle of Vochang fought?
2. What did the inhabitants of Soccotera collect from whales?
3. What did most merchants bring to Madagascar to sell?
4. What could be said of the priests of Servenath?
5. What was the meaning of rukh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what took place at the city of Tin-gui-gui.
2. Describe the fishery near the city of Kain-du. What was found there, and who could use it?
3. Chapter 43 talks about the mountainous people outside of the province of Kardandan. Why did these people exchange gold for silver with merchants?
4. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
5. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
6. Describe the practice of tattooing in the province of Kangigu. Who had this done, and how?
7. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
8. What did the inhabitants of Fanfur procure from a certain tree? How did they obtain it and what did they do with it? What did it look like and taste like once it was prepared?
9. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
10. What were the inhabitants of Kael addicted to and why? Also describe the battle that ensued when one person was insulted by another.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The grand khan usually stayed in the city of Kanbalu during December, January and February. Kanbalu was located toward the north-eastern part of the province of Cathay. The great palace was on the southern side of the new city. Explore possible reasons why the grand khan felt he needed to go to the city of Kanbalu for these particular months, and what possible benefit was there in staying at the great palace rather staying put where he was? Use Book 2, Chapter 6 as a reference.
Essay Topic 2
Book 3, Chapter 47-48 details Great Turkey and its king, Kaidu. King Kaidu was the nephew of the grand khan and was shown special favor by the grand khan even though Kaidu was not obedient to him. Evaluate the leadership styles of Kaidu and the grand khan. Explain the differences in the way they each rule their subjects. Use examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 3
The Desert of Lop was vast and hard to cross. Compare and contrast the way Marco Polo crossed the Desert of Lop to the way you would have crossed the Desert of Lop during the Middle Ages.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)