|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit could weigh over two pounds troy-weight in Chan-glu?
2. Who dove with the oyster divers?
3. Which sea was the island of Zipangu situated on?
4. Who governed Kael?
5. Inhabitants of Dulfar collected and sold ______ to India.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
2. Describe the practice of tattooing in the province of Kangigu. Who had this done, and how?
3. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
4. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
5. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
6. What was produced on the island of Java Minor, and why were they only exported to Manji and Cathay?
7. Where was the province of Karaian located and who governed it? Describe the ruler.
8. Describe the teachers and instruction in Bangala.
9. Tell about the extraordinary bird called rukh.
10. Chapter 43 talks about the mountainous people outside of the province of Kardandan. Why did these people exchange gold for silver with merchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 1, Chapter 49 describes in detail the particular organization of Tartar armies. Discuss how this arrangement could help and/or hinder the Tartar's battle strategy. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Book 2, Chapter 68 describes the noble and magnificent city of Kin-sai. Why did Marco Polo consider Kin-sai noble and magnificent? Based on the details in the book, do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Use examples from the book in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the islands of Java and Java Minor, Maabar, and Madagascar. Which island do you think was the most valuable? Why? Which island was the least valuable? Why? Back up your answers with reasons from the book. Use Book 3, Chapters 7, 10, 20, and 36 as references.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)