|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the king of Ziamba have?
2. How large was the circumference of Sin-din-fu?
3. How many towns were under the jurisdiction of Yan-gui?
4. What were sold in Basman as pygmies?
5. What did the men of Lambri have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the physical attributes of the men and women of Zenzibar.
2. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
3. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
4. Explain why King Dor was captured by Prester John's men. How was he captured? What became of him?
5. Describe what took place at the city of Tin-gui-gui.
6. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
7. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
8. How could one enter the town of Pau-ghin, and why?
9. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
10. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 1, Chapter 37 details a particular custom that was followed in regards to burial for persons of rank in the city of Sachion. Who was called upon to help, and why? How was the funeral day decided? Why would the funeral day be prolonged? How was a body preserved if the funeral was prolonged? How were meals served during the wait for a funeral? What if the main door could not be used to remove the body? What was placed with the dead body at burial and why? Are there any customs similar to this today? If yes, describe them.
Essay Topic 2
Some time after the migration of the Tartars to the northern countries of Jorza and Bargu, in the year 1162, Chingis-khan was elected the first emperor of the Tartars. His subjects revered him as deity rather than as their sovereign. Why did the Tartars perceive him in this manner? Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
The Desert of Lop was vast and hard to cross. Compare and contrast the way Marco Polo crossed the Desert of Lop to the way you would have crossed the Desert of Lop during the Middle Ages.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)