|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lay five hundred miles south of Kesmacoran?
2. What did the inhabitants of Chan-glu do with dead bodies?
3. What did choiach mean?
4. A particular vegetable in Kon-cha was very similar in color and smell to _____.
5. What could be found in the waters around Malabar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
2. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
3. Why was Marco Polo detained in the kingdom of Samara for five months?
4. Where was the province of Karaian located and who governed it? Describe the ruler.
5. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
6. What happened during the rainy season in the kingdom of Murphilior Monsul?
7. Describe the practice of tattooing in the province of Kangigu. Who had this done, and how?
8. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
9. What was produced in great quantities in the kingdom of Kon-cha? What expensive vegetable was also found?
10. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 1, Chapter 37 details a particular custom that was followed in regards to burial for persons of rank in the city of Sachion. Who was called upon to help, and why? How was the funeral day decided? Why would the funeral day be prolonged? How was a body preserved if the funeral was prolonged? How were meals served during the wait for a funeral? What if the main door could not be used to remove the body? What was placed with the dead body at burial and why? Are there any customs similar to this today? If yes, describe them.
Essay Topic 2
Incredible as the tales in the Travels of Marco Polo seem, they did inspire numerous people to travel East to find out about this exotic land for themselves. In this respect, Marco Polo launched a whole new age of exploration. Describe the effect the book had on Europeans and others, including the effect it specifically had on future explorers.
Essay Topic 3
The grand khan was not persuaded by any one religion, thus, he honored Christians, Jews, Mahometans, and idolaters at their respective festivals. Discuss his motives for honoring each. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis. Use Book 2, Chapters 1-2 as a reference.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)