|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______ could be found in Bangala.
2. ______ were the most prevalent in Kain.
3. What type of people were the inhabitants of Ka-chan-fu?
4. What practice ceased to exist in Karazan by rule of his majesty?
5. Ships in India were built from ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
2. What were the inhabitants of Kael addicted to and why? Also describe the battle that ensued when one person was insulted by another.
3. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
4. What did the inhabitants of Fanfur procure from a certain tree? How did they obtain it and what did they do with it? What did it look like and taste like once it was prepared?
5. Describe the fishery near the city of Kain-du. What was found there, and who could use it?
6. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
7. Tell about the extraordinary bird called rukh.
8. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
9. What was produced on the island of Java Minor, and why were they only exported to Manji and Cathay?
10. What was produced in great quantities in the kingdom of Kon-cha? What expensive vegetable was also found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Desert of Lop was vast and hard to cross. Compare and contrast the way Marco Polo crossed the Desert of Lop to the way you would have crossed the Desert of Lop during the Middle Ages.
Essay Topic 2
Book 1, Chapter 37 details a particular custom that was followed in regards to burial for persons of rank in the city of Sachion. Who was called upon to help, and why? How was the funeral day decided? Why would the funeral day be prolonged? How was a body preserved if the funeral was prolonged? How were meals served during the wait for a funeral? What if the main door could not be used to remove the body? What was placed with the dead body at burial and why? Are there any customs similar to this today? If yes, describe them.
Essay Topic 3
Book 3, Chapter 1 describes in great detail the kind of ships used for navigation in India prior to Marco Polo being there and ships used while Marco Polo was there. Analyze the construction of the ships as detailed in the text, and compare that construction to ship construction of today. Use examples from the book when referencing ships from Middle Ages.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)