|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many towns were under the jurisdiction of Yan-gui?
2. Why did the grand khan, Kublai, want to annex the island of Zipangu?
3. Gold and Silver were traded in Kardandan. How much gold saggio could be traded for five of sliver?
4. ______ were the most prevalent in Kain.
5. What was the name of the general who invaded Ziamba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
2. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
3. What did the inhabitants of Fanfur procure from a certain tree? How did they obtain it and what did they do with it? What did it look like and taste like once it was prepared?
4. Why was Marco Polo detained in the kingdom of Samara for five months?
5. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
6. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
7. What happened during the rainy season in the kingdom of Murphilior Monsul?
8. Describe ambergris. What was it, and where was it found? How was it used?
9. Tell about the extraordinary bird called rukh.
10. Chapter 43 talks about the mountainous people outside of the province of Kardandan. Why did these people exchange gold for silver with merchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 1, Chapter 37 details a particular custom that was followed in regards to burial for persons of rank in the city of Sachion. Who was called upon to help, and why? How was the funeral day decided? Why would the funeral day be prolonged? How was a body preserved if the funeral was prolonged? How were meals served during the wait for a funeral? What if the main door could not be used to remove the body? What was placed with the dead body at burial and why? Are there any customs similar to this today? If yes, describe them.
Essay Topic 2
Book 1, Chapter 49 describes in detail the particular organization of Tartar armies. Discuss how this arrangement could help and/or hinder the Tartar's battle strategy. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The grand khan usually stayed in the city of Kanbalu during December, January and February. Kanbalu was located toward the north-eastern part of the province of Cathay. The great palace was on the southern side of the new city. Explore possible reasons why the grand khan felt he needed to go to the city of Kanbalu for these particular months, and what possible benefit was there in staying at the great palace rather staying put where he was? Use Book 2, Chapter 6 as a reference.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)