|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men and women of Vochang cover their teeth with?
2. What was used as an antidote for poison?
3. What type of animal did the inhabitants of Karazan hunt?
4. How large was the circumference of Sin-din-fu?
5. The Tingui were devoted to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could one enter the town of Pau-ghin, and why?
2. Describe the teachers and instruction in Bangala.
3. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
4. Chapter 43 talks about the mountainous people outside of the province of Kardandan. Why did these people exchange gold for silver with merchants?
5. Tell about the extraordinary bird called rukh.
6. Describe the physical attributes of the men and women of Zenzibar.
7. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
8. Describe the practice of tattooing in the province of Kangigu. Who had this done, and how?
9. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
10. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The province of Balashan was made up of Mahometans. It was an extensive kingdom that was governed by princes in hereditary succession. Discuss how rule under one family, for generations, impacts a kingdom for benefit or detriment.
Essay Topic 2
The grand khan was not persuaded by any one religion, thus, he honored Christians, Jews, Mahometans, and idolaters at their respective festivals. Discuss his motives for honoring each. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis. Use Book 2, Chapters 1-2 as a reference.
Essay Topic 3
Some time after the migration of the Tartars to the northern countries of Jorza and Bargu, in the year 1162, Chingis-khan was elected the first emperor of the Tartars. His subjects revered him as deity rather than as their sovereign. Why did the Tartars perceive him in this manner? Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)