|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of clothing was worn in Chintigui?
2. What did most merchants bring to Madagascar to sell?
3. The inhabitants of Escier fed their animals what type of food?
4. Murphili was known for what?
5. Ships in India were built from ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the inhabitants of Fanfur procure from a certain tree? How did they obtain it and what did they do with it? What did it look like and taste like once it was prepared?
2. What was produced on the island of Java Minor, and why were they only exported to Manji and Cathay?
3. How could one enter the town of Pau-ghin, and why?
4. Describe the marks of the Jews, Christians, and Saracens who lived in Abascia.
5. Describe the teachers and instruction in Bangala.
6. Where was the province of Karaian located and who governed it? Describe the ruler.
7. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
8. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
9. Why was Marco Polo detained in the kingdom of Samara for five months?
10. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicolo and Maffeo Polo were respectable merchants of Venice. They set sail in the year 1250 for Constantinople and arrived there in safety. Discuss the underlying goals the brothers had in wanting to go to Constantinople. Use examples from the text to support your response and thesis. Use Book 1, Chapter 1 as a reference.
Essay Topic 2
The province of Balashan was made up of Mahometans. It was an extensive kingdom that was governed by princes in hereditary succession. Discuss how rule under one family, for generations, impacts a kingdom for benefit or detriment.
Essay Topic 3
Book 3, Chapter 1 describes in great detail the kind of ships used for navigation in India prior to Marco Polo being there and ships used while Marco Polo was there. Analyze the construction of the ships as detailed in the text, and compare that construction to ship construction of today. Use examples from the book when referencing ships from Middle Ages.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)