|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't the grand khan bring Java under his control?
2. What was the distance between Kangigu and Amu?
3. What animal was not bred in Maabar?
4. Why did the grand khan, Kublai, want to annex the island of Zipangu?
5. Where did the Bramins derive their origin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
2. Describe the marks of the Jews, Christians, and Saracens who lived in Abascia.
3. What happened during the rainy season in the kingdom of Murphilior Monsul?
4. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
5. Describe the fishery near the city of Kain-du. What was found there, and who could use it?
6. What were the inhabitants of Kael addicted to and why? Also describe the battle that ensued when one person was insulted by another.
7. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
8. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
9. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
10. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 3, Chapter 47-48 details Great Turkey and its king, Kaidu. King Kaidu was the nephew of the grand khan and was shown special favor by the grand khan even though Kaidu was not obedient to him. Evaluate the leadership styles of Kaidu and the grand khan. Explain the differences in the way they each rule their subjects. Use examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Formulate reasons why Marco Polo's book was then and is still today, an important historical book. Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Nicolo and Maffeo Polo were respectable merchants of Venice. They set sail in the year 1250 for Constantinople and arrived there in safety. Discuss the underlying goals the brothers had in wanting to go to Constantinople. Use examples from the text to support your response and thesis. Use Book 1, Chapter 1 as a reference.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)