|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was not bred in Maabar?
2. How far was Zipangu in India, from Manji in China?
3. What was produced in Dulfar?
4. What was the meaning of rukh?
5. What lay five hundred miles south of Kesmacoran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
2. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
3. Where was the province of Karaian located and who governed it? Describe the ruler.
4. What happened during the rainy season in the kingdom of Murphilior Monsul?
5. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
6. How could one enter the town of Pau-ghin, and why?
7. Explain why King Dor was captured by Prester John's men. How was he captured? What became of him?
8. Describe the teachers and instruction in Bangala.
9. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
10. Chapter 43 talks about the mountainous people outside of the province of Kardandan. Why did these people exchange gold for silver with merchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 2, Chapter 16 details the grand khan's adventures with his falconers. Discuss reasons why the grand khan participated. Was this a useful sport or pure enjoyment? Cite examples from the text in your response and thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Book 1, Chapter 37 details a particular custom that was followed in regards to burial for persons of rank in the city of Sachion. Who was called upon to help, and why? How was the funeral day decided? Why would the funeral day be prolonged? How was a body preserved if the funeral was prolonged? How were meals served during the wait for a funeral? What if the main door could not be used to remove the body? What was placed with the dead body at burial and why? Are there any customs similar to this today? If yes, describe them.
Essay Topic 3
Book I, Chapter 50 details an imaginary marriage between two deceased children of different families. Analyze the way this unusual custom impacts the living family members. Use examples from the book to support your response and thesis statement.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)