|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gold and Silver were traded in Kardandan. How much gold saggio could be traded for five of sliver?
2. How many children did the king of Ziamba have?
3. What did the inhabitants of Kangigu make wine from?
4. What was primarily and preferably eaten in Madagascar?
5. In 1272, who was appointed governor of Tudin-fu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the idols worshiped in Zipangu.
2. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
3. Describe what took place at the city of Tin-gui-gui.
4. Describe the fishery near the city of Kain-du. What was found there, and who could use it?
5. What could be found at the top of a mountain in Zeilan?
6. What happened during the rainy season in the kingdom of Murphilior Monsul?
7. Describe the grand sepulcher of the king in the city of Mien.
8. Describe ambergris. What was it, and where was it found? How was it used?
9. Describe the physical attributes of the men and women of Zenzibar.
10. What was produced on the island of Java Minor, and why were they only exported to Manji and Cathay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Desert of Lop was vast and hard to cross. Compare and contrast the way Marco Polo crossed the Desert of Lop to the way you would have crossed the Desert of Lop during the Middle Ages.
Essay Topic 2
Book 3, Chapter 47-48 details Great Turkey and its king, Kaidu. King Kaidu was the nephew of the grand khan and was shown special favor by the grand khan even though Kaidu was not obedient to him. Evaluate the leadership styles of Kaidu and the grand khan. Explain the differences in the way they each rule their subjects. Use examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 3
The grand khan was not persuaded by any one religion, thus, he honored Christians, Jews, Mahometans, and idolaters at their respective festivals. Discuss his motives for honoring each. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis. Use Book 2, Chapters 1-2 as a reference.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)