|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who governed Kael?
2. What was the circumference of Java the Lesser?
3. What was produced in large quantities in Lochac?
4. The people of Basman paid tribute to whom?
5. Who or what was Kara-moran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the marks of the Jews, Christians, and Saracens who lived in Abascia.
2. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
3. Describe the teachers and instruction in Bangala.
4. Why was Marco Polo detained in the kingdom of Samara for five months?
5. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
6. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
7. Tell what types of things were produced on the island of Java.
8. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
9. Describe the fishery near the city of Kain-du. What was found there, and who could use it?
10. Describe the practice of tattooing in the province of Kangigu. Who had this done, and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 2, Chapter 68 describes the noble and magnificent city of Kin-sai. Why did Marco Polo consider Kin-sai noble and magnificent? Based on the details in the book, do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Use examples from the book in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Tauris was a large and noble city belonging to the province of Irak (Iraq), which contained many other cities and fortified places, but this was the largest and most important city. Tell how the inhabitants supported themselves, where they traded, what types of items might be found there, what type of people lived there, the type of gardens found there, and the religions. How does Iraq compare today? Use Book 1, Chapters 9-10 as a reference.
Essay Topic 3
The grand khan usually stayed in the city of Kanbalu during December, January and February. Kanbalu was located toward the north-eastern part of the province of Cathay. The great palace was on the southern side of the new city. Explore possible reasons why the grand khan felt he needed to go to the city of Kanbalu for these particular months, and what possible benefit was there in staying at the great palace rather staying put where he was? Use Book 2, Chapter 6 as a reference.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)