|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dove with the oyster divers?
2. What fruit could weigh over two pounds troy-weight in Chan-glu?
3. What type of clothing was worn in Chintigui?
4. What did the very devoted servants of the king of Maabar do when the king died?
5. What big animal was found in Bangala?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the people on the island of Zipangu do with their dead? What did they place in the mouth of the dead?
2. What was significant about the city of Yan-gui?
3. Describe the fishery business in the province of Maabar.
4. Describe the physical attributes of the men and women of Zenzibar.
5. Why was Marco Polo detained in the kingdom of Samara for five months?
6. Describe what took place at the city of Tin-gui-gui.
7. Describe the marks of the Jews, Christians, and Saracens who lived in Abascia.
8. How could one enter the town of Pau-ghin, and why?
9. Describe how money was made in the province of Kain-du.
10. What was produced on the island of Java Minor, and why were they only exported to Manji and Cathay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Formulate reasons why Marco Polo's book was then and is still today, an important historical book. Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
The Desert of Lop was vast and hard to cross. Compare and contrast the way Marco Polo crossed the Desert of Lop to the way you would have crossed the Desert of Lop during the Middle Ages.
Essay Topic 3
Book I, Chapter 50 details an imaginary marriage between two deceased children of different families. Analyze the way this unusual custom impacts the living family members. Use examples from the book to support your response and thesis statement.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)