|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
2. What did the infant, Christ, give the wise men as they were leaving?
3. _______________ was chosen to replace Queen Bulagan after her death.
4. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
5. The Polos were not able to return to Constantinople for fear of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Marco Polo sent as an emissary of the Great Kahn throughout the empire?
2. Tell about the custom in Peyn that pertained to married men and women.
3. Tell about the ceremony that took place when emperors or princes (grand khan's) were carried for interment to the mountain of Altai.
4. Describe the birthday of the grand khan.
5. Describe the city of Karakoran.
6. In Chapter 30, discuss the importance of the miracle that took place at the church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Who did the miracle favor? Why was it important to the followers? How did the miracle affect the Mussulmans?
7. Describe the physical attributes of the grand khan.
8. Why was Marco Polo not adept in describing countries, towns and natural features?
9. Using Chapter 4 as a reference, describe three attributes of Armenia Major.
10. What needs did a practical traveler and merchant have in order to survive along the route?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the islands of Java and Java Minor, Maabar, and Madagascar. Which island do you think was the most valuable? Why? Which island was the least valuable? Why? Back up your answers with reasons from the book. Use Book 3, Chapters 7, 10, 20, and 36 as references.
Essay Topic 2
Using Book 2, Chapter 8 as a reference, explain the treasonable practices used in the city of Kanbalu which caused it to rebel. Also, describe the apprehension and punishment of those involved. Use examples for the text in your response and thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Nicolo and Maffeo Polo were respectable merchants of Venice. They set sail in the year 1250 for Constantinople and arrived there in safety. Discuss the underlying goals the brothers had in wanting to go to Constantinople. Use examples from the text to support your response and thesis. Use Book 1, Chapter 1 as a reference.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)