|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the mint of the grand khan located?
2. Why was the city of Tai-du built?
3. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
4. ______________ was an unknown term in medieval language.
5. Why did the Great Khan send the Polos and a baron to the Pope requesting a hundred men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lesser Armenia as Marco Polo did in Chapter 2.
2. Why did the grand khan have a new city built at Tai-du?
3. Using Chapter 4 as a reference, describe three attributes of Armenia Major.
4. After describing Kesmur, Marco Polo said he reserved the description of India for a third book. Why is this so?
5. Describe the wives of the grand khan.
6. Describe the city of Karakoran.
7. According to Chapter 3, what three classes of inhabitants resided in Turkomania?
8. Why did the Polos return to Arghun, kahn of the Levant, with a bride?
9. Describe the various manufactures in the kingdom of Kierman.
10. What happened to the Polos while they were traveling to see the Pope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Book 2, Chapter 8 as a reference, explain the treasonable practices used in the city of Kanbalu which caused it to rebel. Also, describe the apprehension and punishment of those involved. Use examples for the text in your response and thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Book 3, Chapter 47-48 details Great Turkey and its king, Kaidu. King Kaidu was the nephew of the grand khan and was shown special favor by the grand khan even though Kaidu was not obedient to him. Evaluate the leadership styles of Kaidu and the grand khan. Explain the differences in the way they each rule their subjects. Use examples from the text in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Book I, Chapter 50 details an imaginary marriage between two deceased children of different families. Analyze the way this unusual custom impacts the living family members. Use examples from the book to support your response and thesis statement.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)