|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Prologue, what things does Marco Polo describe in the book?
2. What year did Kubilai Khan begin his reign?
3. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
4. According to Chapter 21, what type of tree grew in the province of Timochain?
5. Marco Polo was an emissary of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what miraculous circumstances are said to have taken place at Saint Lunardo?
2. In Chapter 30, discuss the importance of the miracle that took place at the church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Who did the miracle favor? Why was it important to the followers? How did the miracle affect the Mussulmans?
3. Describe the personal guards for the grand khan.
4. What happened between King Arghun and Lady Kogatin?
5. Tell about the ceremony that took place when emperors or princes (grand khan's) were carried for interment to the mountain of Altai.
6. Tell about the custom in Peyn that pertained to married men and women.
7. What needs did a practical traveler and merchant have in order to survive along the route?
8. Why did Marco Polo write this book?
9. Describe Lesser Armenia as Marco Polo did in Chapter 2.
10. Why couldn't the Polos return to Constantinople? What did they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 1, Chapter 49 describes in detail the particular organization of Tartar armies. Discuss how this arrangement could help and/or hinder the Tartar's battle strategy. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Book 1, Chapter 35 tells about Tartar armies passing through the province of Charchan. This was very dangerous for families living there. The families took action to protect themselves from the army. Compare and contrast the action of the families to the actions you would take to protect your family and yourself in the same situation.
Essay Topic 3
Incredible as the tales in the Travels of Marco Polo seem, they did inspire numerous people to travel East to find out about this exotic land for themselves. In this respect, Marco Polo launched a whole new age of exploration. Describe the effect the book had on Europeans and others, including the effect it specifically had on future explorers.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)