|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could be found in the castle of Paipurth, which was located between Trebizond and Tauris?
2. How is Marco Polo described in the Prologue?
3. Why did the people of Karkan suffer from swollen legs and goiters?
4. What months did the grand khan reside in Kanbalu?
5. What direction was Peyn from Kotan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Great Khan send the Polos, with a baron, to the Pope?
2. Why was Marco Polo sent as an emissary of the Great Kahn throughout the empire?
3. According to Chapter 3, what three classes of inhabitants resided in Turkomania?
4. What needs did a practical traveler and merchant have in order to survive along the route?
5. Tell about the custom of showing respect to strangers from the district of Kamul.
6. Why were the Polos worried about the death of the grand khan in relation to returning home?
7. Tell about the custom in Peyn that pertained to married men and women.
8. Describe the wives of the grand khan.
9. Describe the birthday of the grand khan.
10. Describe how paper money issued by the grand khan was made.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Book 2, Chapter 68 describes the noble and magnificent city of Kin-sai. Why did Marco Polo consider Kin-sai noble and magnificent? Based on the details in the book, do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Use examples from the book in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Book 3, Chapter 1 describes in great detail the kind of ships used for navigation in India prior to Marco Polo being there and ships used while Marco Polo was there. Analyze the construction of the ships as detailed in the text, and compare that construction to ship construction of today. Use examples from the book when referencing ships from Middle Ages.
Essay Topic 3
Using Book 2, Chapter 8 as a reference, explain the treasonable practices used in the city of Kanbalu which caused it to rebel. Also, describe the apprehension and punishment of those involved. Use examples for the text in your response and thesis.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)