|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tartars were experts in _______________.
2. What three regions were assigned to lesser family khans to rule over?
3. What festival was celebrated September 28th?
4. People of Vokhan were of which religious persuasion?
5. Where were the three magi buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Marco Polo write this book?
2. Tell about the custom in Peyn that pertained to married men and women.
3. Why did the grand khan have a new city built at Tai-du?
4. Describe how paper money issued by the grand khan was made.
5. After describing Kesmur, Marco Polo said he reserved the description of India for a third book. Why is this so?
6. Why did the Polos return to Arghun, kahn of the Levant, with a bride?
7. Why were the Polos worried about the death of the grand khan in relation to returning home?
8. Why was Marco Polo not adept in describing countries, towns and natural features?
9. Describe the physical attributes of the grand khan.
10. Why couldn't the Polos return to Constantinople? What did they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The grand khan was not persuaded by any one religion, thus, he honored Christians, Jews, Mahometans, and idolaters at their respective festivals. Discuss his motives for honoring each. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis. Use Book 2, Chapters 1-2 as a reference.
Essay Topic 2
Some time after the migration of the Tartars to the northern countries of Jorza and Bargu, in the year 1162, Chingis-khan was elected the first emperor of the Tartars. His subjects revered him as deity rather than as their sovereign. Why did the Tartars perceive him in this manner? Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Zorzania was ruled in part by Tartars and in part by native princes. Why were native princes in control of part of the province, and why would rule by different rulers in the same area be a problem? Use examples from the text to support your response and thesis.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)