|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could be found in Kierman?
2. Tartars were experts in _______________.
3. Marco Polo's father and uncle were _________________.
4. Trade-routes were costly to follow, so high value commodities like ________________ were needed to make a profit on the way.
5. Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo started a venture sailing to Sudak to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell about the ceremony that took place when emperors or princes (grand khan's) were carried for interment to the mountain of Altai.
2. In Chapter 5, what miraculous circumstances are said to have taken place at Saint Lunardo?
3. After describing Kesmur, Marco Polo said he reserved the description of India for a third book. Why is this so?
4. Why were the Polos worried about the death of the grand khan in relation to returning home?
5. What happened between King Arghun and Lady Kogatin?
6. Describe the city of Karakoran.
7. Discuss the custom observed upon the birth of a son in the city of Sachion. Use Chapter 37 as a reference.
8. Why did the grand khan have a new city built at Tai-du?
9. Why was Marco Polo sent as an emissary of the Great Kahn throughout the empire?
10. What does the narrator of Marco Polo's travels proclaim this book does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The grand khan usually stayed in the city of Kanbalu during December, January and February. Kanbalu was located toward the north-eastern part of the province of Cathay. The great palace was on the southern side of the new city. Explore possible reasons why the grand khan felt he needed to go to the city of Kanbalu for these particular months, and what possible benefit was there in staying at the great palace rather staying put where he was? Use Book 2, Chapter 6 as a reference.
Essay Topic 2
Formulate reasons why Marco Polo's book was then and is still today, an important historical book. Use examples from the text in your response and thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Book 1, Chapter 49 describes in detail the particular organization of Tartar armies. Discuss how this arrangement could help and/or hinder the Tartar's battle strategy. Use examples from the book in your response and thesis.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)