|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trade-routes were costly to follow, so high value commodities like ________________ were needed to make a profit on the way.
(a) Precious gems, fabrics, spices and gold.
(b) Precious gems, furs, spices and gold.
(c) Precious gems, minerals, furs and gold.
(d) Precious gems, silk, spices, and gold.
2. How long did it take to cross the desert called Lop?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Fifteen days.
3. What year did Kubilai Khan begin his reign?
4. According to Chapter 21, what type of tree grew in the province of Timochain?
(a) Tree of the water.
(b) Tree of the salt.
(c) Tree of the people.
(d) Tree of the sun.
5. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was first introduced to the reading public in the thirteenth century as what?
(a) "A Description of the Empires."
(b) "A Description of the Provinces."
(c) "A Description of the World."
(d) "A Description of the Kingdoms."
6. What was the doctrine of faith held by the Tartars, according to Chapter 48?
(a) They believed in a deity whose nature was sublime and heavenly.
(b) They believed in a deity whose nature was full of intellect.
(c) They believed in a deity whose nature was to subdue the world.
(d) They believed in a deity whose nature was of wrath.
7. What three regions were assigned to lesser family khans to rule over?
(a) Western Russia, Levant from eastern Persia to the Mediterranean and Central Asia's Turkestan.
(b) Northern Russia, Levant from eastern Persia to the Mediterranean and Eastern Asia's Turkestan.
(c) European Russia, Levant from eastern Persia to the Mediterranean and Central Asia's Turkestan.
(d) European Russia, Levant from southern Persia to the Mediterranean and Central Asia's Turkestan.
8. The Polos were not able to return to Constantinople for fear of what?
9. How is Marco Polo described in the Prologue?
(a) As a wise and learned citizen of Venice.
(b) As a loyal follower of God.
(c) As a learned and honest citizen of Genoa.
(d) As an honest and trustworthy citizen of Venice.
10. According to the introduction, what made "The Travels of Marco Polo" a best seller?
(a) The mystery of Kubilai Khan's thirteenth century empire.
(b) The ease in obtaining a copy of the book.
(c) The wild and exciting tales.
(d) Rustichello's writing.
11. The grand khan's military men carried a golden tablet with what type of picture engraved upon it?
(a) A falcon.
(b) The feet of an elephant.
(c) A lion.
(d) The face of the grand khan.
12. What is stated in the Prologue as one of the reasons someone would read this book?
(a) Those desirous of knowing the diversities of the races of mankind.
(b) Those desirous of knowing the diversities of Asia.
(c) Those desirous of knowing the truth about The Great Khan.
(d) Those desirous of knowing the mysterious secrets of the world.
13. What festival was celebrated September 28th?
(a) The birth of the grand khan.
(b) Tribunal day.
(c) White feast.
(d) The festival of the golden tablets.
14. _______________ was chosen to replace Queen Bulagan after her death.
(a) Napir Asu.
(b) Khanum Organa Hatum.
15. According to Marco Polo, in ancient times, kings of Zorzania were born with the mark of _____________ on the ___________ shoulder.
(a) An Eagle, left.
(b) An Eagle, right.
(c) A Lion, left.
(d) A Lion, right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the workers at Saint Barsamo make?
2. What did the grand khan require be planted on the sides of roads?
3. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
4. _________ were not inhabitants of Tauris.
5. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)