|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allowed the inhabitants of Baldach or Bagadet to transport their goods to and from the sea of India?
(a) A great river flowing in the midst of the city.
(b) Strong and willing men carrying goods.
(c) Camel caravans.
(d) A hard, dirt-paved road.
2. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
(a) He thought they would be better able to defend themselves.
(b) He was worried they were becoming too lazy.
(c) He was apprehensive of their strength.
(d) He wanted to start new provinces with multiple groups of Tartars.
3. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was penned in ________ by the writer Marco Polo commissioned.
4. What could be found in the castle of Paipurth, which was located between Trebizond and Tauris?
(a) Fountain of oil.
(b) Silver mine.
(c) Gold mine.
(d) Fountain of youth.
5. What could be found in Kierman?
(b) Fountains of oil.
6. Why was an umbrella carried overhead of the grand khan?
(a) To keep the sun from burning his skin.
(b) To keep him cool in the heat.
(c) It was a sign of good will.
(d) It denoted rank and authority.
7. What was manufactured in Arzingan?
(a) Silver mirrors.
(b) Silk clothes.
(c) Iron masks.
(d) Fine cotton.
8. In ____, a battle began with the sultan of Egypt.
9. Survival required a practical traveler and merchant to take advantage of ___________along the route with natural and man-made obstacles.
(a) Food, water and transport.
(b) People, places and food.
(c) Shelter, routes and people.
(d) Water, shelter and food.
10. What gift was sent from one of the Tartar princes to the Roman Pontiff from the city of Chinchitalas?
(a) A brilliant ruby.
(b) A coral salamander.
(c) A bronze statue.
(d) A woven napkin.
11. What festival was celebrated September 28th?
(a) White feast.
(b) Tribunal day.
(c) The birth of the grand khan.
(d) The festival of the golden tablets.
12. The Great Khan succeeded _______ to rule the eastern part of the Mongol empire.
(d) Mangku Kaan.
13. Who was the ruler of Kierman?
(a) Rukmedin Achomak.
(b) Mazier Ozier.
(c) Reobarle Ormus.
(d) Corobar Achomak.
14. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
15. How many sons did the grand khan have by his legitimate wives?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stated in the Prologue as one of the reasons someone would read this book?
2. The custom, during the process of removing the bodies of princes, was for those who formed the escort to ______________ persons they met on the road.
3. Tartars mostly survived on ____________ while on an expedition.
4. What did the infant, Christ, give the wise men as they were leaving?
5. What did the grand khan require be planted on the sides of roads?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)