|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Idolaters" include________.
(a) Hindus and Buddhists.
(b) Hindus and Mahomets.
(c) Buddhists and Jews.
(d) Saracens and Cathayans.
2. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
(a) A gold chair.
(b) A bamboo chair.
(c) A silver chair.
(d) A pearl chair.
3. What did the workers at Saint Barsamo make?
(a) Silk hats.
(b) Woolen hats.
(c) Woolen girdles.
(d) Cotton girdles.
4. What type of water could be found in Kobiam?
(a) Salt water.
(b) Bitter water.
(c) Sulfur water.
(d) Citrus flavored water.
5. Merchants in the city of Yasdi manufactured what?
(a) Golden cups.
(b) Woven baskets.
(c) Silk cloth.
6. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was penned in ________ by the writer Marco Polo commissioned.
7. The ________ stone was only available as a gift from the king, according to Chapter 26.
(a) Balshan tanzinite.
(c) Balass ruby.
8. The Great Khan issued ___________ to assure lodging and needs when the Polos went to the Pope.
(a) A tablet of gold.
(b) Precious gems.
(c) A sack full of spices.
9. Marco Polo was an emissary of whom?
(a) Kubilai Kahn.
(b) King Arghun.
(c) Chief Alau.
10. Where was the mint of the grand khan located?
11. What direction was Peyn from Kotan?
(c) North-east and east.
12. How many legitimate wives did the grand khan have?
13. ______________ was an unknown term in medieval language.
14. What miraculous event was said to have occurred at Samarcan?
(a) The pillar of the church raised to reveal the stone.
(b) The pillar of the church raised to reveal the gold cup.
(c) The pillar of the church fell and crushed a man who was raised back to life.
(d) The pillar of the church raised and Zagatai was healed.
15. Why was the city of Tai-du built?
(a) Kanbalu had become too run down and old.
(b) Kanbalu was built too close to a major body of water.
(c) Astrologers said Kanbalu was destined to become rebellious.
(d) Kanbalu was attacked and burned to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Kubilai Khan begin his reign?
2. According to Marco Polo, in the central part of Armenia lies an exceedingly large and high mountain. What can be found on this mountain?
3. Marco Polo was curious and adept in seeing and describing the natural history of __________________.
4. Experiences between leaving in 1271 and returning in 1292 are described by Marco Polo through his chroniclers_________ and __________.
5. Where did the Tartars first establish residence?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)