|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is being addressed in the Prologue?
(a) Kings and other dignitaries of the world.
(b) Emperors, kings, dukes, marquises, earls, and knights.
(c) The learned.
(d) Readers of the world.
2. Experiences between leaving in 1271 and returning in 1292 are described by Marco Polo through his chroniclers_________ and __________.
(a) Rustichello and Saint Barsamo.
(b) Ramusio and Rustigielo.
(c) Latham and Ramusio.
(d) Ramusio and Kustichello.
3. According to the Prologue, what things does Marco Polo describe in the book?
(a) Things he stumbles upon.
(b) Things he sees and things he hears from others.
(c) Only the truth of what he sees.
(d) The mysteries of the world.
4. Who was the ruler of Kierman?
(a) Reobarle Ormus.
(b) Mazier Ozier.
(c) Rukmedin Achomak.
(d) Corobar Achomak.
5. The custom, during the process of removing the bodies of princes, was for those who formed the escort to ______________ persons they met on the road.
6. Why did the Great Khan send the Polos and a baron to the Pope requesting a hundred men?
(a) To teach Christianity and get oil from a lamp at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
(b) To Teach Christianity and to get holy water at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
(c) To decorate a room for him to worship in and to get oil from a lamp at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
(d) To show his people how to become Catholic and to obtain holy water at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
7. Chingis-khan was revered as a ______.
8. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
(a) He was worried they were becoming too lazy.
(b) He wanted to start new provinces with multiple groups of Tartars.
(c) He thought they would be better able to defend themselves.
(d) He was apprehensive of their strength.
9. _________ were not inhabitants of Tauris.
10. Barka Khan was the lord of ______________.
11. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
12. Marco Polo was an emissary of whom?
(a) Kubilai Kahn.
(c) King Arghun.
(d) Chief Alau.
13. The Great Khan succeeded _______ to rule the eastern part of the Mongol empire.
(b) Mangku Kaan.
14. According to the introduction, what made "The Travels of Marco Polo" a best seller?
(a) The ease in obtaining a copy of the book.
(b) The wild and exciting tales.
(c) Rustichello's writing.
(d) The mystery of Kubilai Khan's thirteenth century empire.
15. Where was Chingis-khan buried?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far was Kotan from Karkan?
2. Kubilai Khan fought a great battle with whom?
3. Arghun was the king of _____________.
4. ______________ was an unknown term in medieval language.
5. What could be found in Kierman?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)