|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marco Polo, in the central part of Armenia lies an exceedingly large and high mountain. What can be found on this mountain?
(a) The Fountain of Oil.
(b) The Ark of Noah.
(c) The Golden Tablets.
(d) The Gate of Iron.
2. Marco Polo stayed at the Great Khan's court for _____ years to do many missions.
3. Who is being addressed in the Prologue?
(a) Kings and other dignitaries of the world.
(b) Emperors, kings, dukes, marquises, earls, and knights.
(c) Readers of the world.
(d) The learned.
4. What was manufactured in Arzingan?
(a) Silk clothes.
(b) Fine cotton.
(c) Silver mirrors.
(d) Iron masks.
5. How far was Kotan from Karkan?
(a) Three days journey.
(b) Twelve days journey.
(c) Eight days journey.
(d) Six days journey.
6. What allowed the inhabitants of Baldach or Bagadet to transport their goods to and from the sea of India?
(a) Strong and willing men carrying goods.
(b) A great river flowing in the midst of the city.
(c) A hard, dirt-paved road.
(d) Camel caravans.
7. A thief could pay ______ the value of the property stolen in order to escape all further punishment.
(a) Six times.
(b) Nine times.
(c) Twelve times.
(d) Twenty times.
8. In Zorzania, the king was usually called _______ .
(a) David Zorzania.
(b) David Abaku.
(c) David Tartar.
(d) David Melik.
9. The Polos survived ______________ for three years until Pope Clement died.
(a) Lack of money and falling snow.
(b) Lack of food and shelter.
(c) Snow and swollen rivers.
(d) Heat and blowing winds.
10. Where were the three magi buried?
(a) Arbor Secco.
11. How many sons did the grand khan have by his legitimate wives?
12. How many men did the grand khan appoint to oversee his officers and the men of his army?
13. Marco Polo's father and uncle were _________________.
(a) Merchants in Constantinople.
(b) Traders from Genoa.
(c) Traders from Constantinople.
(d) Merchants in Genoa.
14. People of Vokhan were of which religious persuasion?
15. What three regions were assigned to lesser family khans to rule over?
(a) Northern Russia, Levant from eastern Persia to the Mediterranean and Eastern Asia's Turkestan.
(b) Western Russia, Levant from eastern Persia to the Mediterranean and Central Asia's Turkestan.
(c) European Russia, Levant from southern Persia to the Mediterranean and Central Asia's Turkestan.
(d) European Russia, Levant from eastern Persia to the Mediterranean and Central Asia's Turkestan.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Great Khan succeeded _______ to rule the eastern part of the Mongol empire.
2. Barka Khan was the lord of ______________.
3. What did the infant, Christ, give the wise men as they were leaving?
4. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
5. According to the introduction, what made "The Travels of Marco Polo" a best seller?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)