|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Polos were not able to return to Constantinople for fear of what?
2. Marco Polo was curious and adept in seeing and describing the natural history of __________________.
(a) Birds, beasts, people and spices.
(b) Birds, plants, beasts and herbs.
(c) Birds, plants, beasts and spices.
(d) Birds, plants, people and herbs.
3. In Zorzania, the king was usually called _______ .
(a) David Tartar.
(b) David Zorzania.
(c) David Melik.
(d) David Abaku.
4. Why did the Great Khan send the Polos and a baron to the Pope requesting a hundred men?
(a) To Teach Christianity and to get holy water at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
(b) To show his people how to become Catholic and to obtain holy water at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
(c) To decorate a room for him to worship in and to get oil from a lamp at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
(d) To teach Christianity and get oil from a lamp at the sepulcher in Jerusalem.
5. The Polos survived ______________ for three years until Pope Clement died.
(a) Snow and swollen rivers.
(b) Lack of money and falling snow.
(c) Lack of food and shelter.
(d) Heat and blowing winds.
6. According to the introduction, what made "The Travels of Marco Polo" a best seller?
(a) The wild and exciting tales.
(b) The mystery of Kubilai Khan's thirteenth century empire.
(c) The ease in obtaining a copy of the book.
(d) Rustichello's writing.
7. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was penned in ________ by the writer Marco Polo commissioned.
8. How many sons did the grand khan have by his legitimate wives?
9. In ____, a battle began with the sultan of Egypt.
10. The city of Arzingan was located in ___.
(a) Armenia Major.
(b) Armenia Minor.
11. The Great Khan succeeded _______ to rule the eastern part of the Mongol empire.
(d) Mangku Kaan.
12. Who is being addressed in the Prologue?
(a) Readers of the world.
(b) The learned.
(c) Kings and other dignitaries of the world.
(d) Emperors, kings, dukes, marquises, earls, and knights.
13. _________ were not inhabitants of Tauris.
14. From the East in 1206, whom did the Mongol tribes elect to rule northern China?
15. How long did it take to cross the desert called Lop?
(a) Three months.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men did the grand khan appoint to oversee his officers and the men of his army?
2. The grand khan's military men carried a golden tablet with what type of picture engraved upon it?
3. Marco Polo's father and uncle were _________________.
4. What miraculous event was said to have occurred at Samarcan?
5. How far was Kotan from Karkan?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)