|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the name Kanbalu mean?
(a) City of the sovereign.
(b) City of the great khan.
(c) City of mass wealth.
(d) City of the beautiful.
2. Survival required a practical traveler and merchant to take advantage of ___________along the route with natural and man-made obstacles.
(a) Food, water and transport.
(b) Shelter, routes and people.
(c) People, places and food.
(d) Water, shelter and food.
3. Why did the people of Karkan suffer from swollen legs and goiters?
(a) Tainted food.
(b) Bad drinking water.
4. What could be found in the castle of Paipurth, which was located between Trebizond and Tauris?
(a) Gold mine.
(b) Fountain of oil.
(c) Silver mine.
(d) Fountain of youth.
5. How is Marco Polo described in the Prologue?
(a) As a loyal follower of God.
(b) As an honest and trustworthy citizen of Venice.
(c) As a wise and learned citizen of Venice.
(d) As a learned and honest citizen of Genoa.
6. Why was an umbrella carried overhead of the grand khan?
(a) It was a sign of good will.
(b) To keep the sun from burning his skin.
(c) It denoted rank and authority.
(d) To keep him cool in the heat.
7. In 1292, Marco Polo safely delivered a bride for _____.
(c) Theophylactus Simocatta.
8. From the East in 1206, whom did the Mongol tribes elect to rule northern China?
9. The custom, during the process of removing the bodies of princes, was for those who formed the escort to ______________ persons they met on the road.
10. _______________ was chosen to replace Queen Bulagan after her death.
(b) Khanum Organa Hatum.
(c) Napir Asu.
11. How many sons did the grand khan have by his legitimate wives?
12. In Zorzania, the king was usually called _______ .
(a) David Tartar.
(b) David Zorzania.
(c) David Melik.
(d) David Abaku.
13. Which characteristic does not fit Marco Polo's description of Turkomans?
(a) Followers of Mahomet.
(b) Accepting of others.
(c) Rude people.
(d) Dull of intellect.
14. ______________ was an unknown term in medieval language.
15. Marco Polo was an emissary of whom?
(b) Kubilai Kahn.
(c) Chief Alau.
(d) King Arghun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being addressed in the Prologue?
2. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
3. What direction was Peyn from Kotan?
4. Marco Polo stayed at the Great Khan's court for _____ years to do many missions.
5. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)