|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was manufactured in Arzingan?
(a) Fine cotton.
(b) Silver mirrors.
(c) Silk clothes.
(d) Iron masks.
2. An envoy of Hulaga invited the Polos to join his trip to the Great Khan of the Tartars, __________.
3. What gift was sent from one of the Tartar princes to the Roman Pontiff from the city of Chinchitalas?
(a) A coral salamander.
(b) A woven napkin.
(c) A bronze statue.
(d) A brilliant ruby.
4. Marco Polo was _________ years old when Pope Clement died.
5. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was penned in ________ by the writer Marco Polo commissioned.
6. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
(a) A bamboo chair.
(b) A pearl chair.
(c) A gold chair.
(d) A silver chair.
7. What was the name of the eldest legitimate son of the grand khan?
8. According to the introduction, what made "The Travels of Marco Polo" a best seller?
(a) Rustichello's writing.
(b) The wild and exciting tales.
(c) The ease in obtaining a copy of the book.
(d) The mystery of Kubilai Khan's thirteenth century empire.
9. According to Marco Polo, in the central part of Armenia lies an exceedingly large and high mountain. What can be found on this mountain?
(a) The Fountain of Oil.
(b) The Gate of Iron.
(c) The Golden Tablets.
(d) The Ark of Noah.
10. Barka Khan was the lord of ______________.
11. The Polos survived ______________ for three years until Pope Clement died.
(a) Heat and blowing winds.
(b) Lack of money and falling snow.
(c) Snow and swollen rivers.
(d) Lack of food and shelter.
12. The city of Arzingan was located in ___.
(b) Armenia Major.
(c) Armenia Minor.
13. How many sons did the grand khan have by his legitimate wives?
14. What allowed the inhabitants of Baldach or Bagadet to transport their goods to and from the sea of India?
(a) A hard, dirt-paved road.
(b) Camel caravans.
(c) A great river flowing in the midst of the city.
(d) Strong and willing men carrying goods.
15. The Great Khan issued ___________ to assure lodging and needs when the Polos went to the Pope.
(a) A tablet of gold.
(b) A sack full of spices.
(c) Precious gems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
2. People of Vokhan were of which religious persuasion?
3. How is Marco Polo described in the Prologue?
4. "Idolaters" include________.
5. What direction was Peyn from Kotan?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)