|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
(a) He thought they would be better able to defend themselves.
(b) He wanted to start new provinces with multiple groups of Tartars.
(c) He was apprehensive of their strength.
(d) He was worried they were becoming too lazy.
2. "Idolaters" include________.
(a) Hindus and Buddhists.
(b) Buddhists and Jews.
(c) Hindus and Mahomets.
(d) Saracens and Cathayans.
3. Tartars were experts in _______________.
(b) Iron maces.
4. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was first introduced to the reading public in the thirteenth century as what?
(a) "A Description of the Kingdoms."
(b) "A Description of the Empires."
(c) "A Description of the World."
(d) "A Description of the Provinces."
5. According to the Prologue, what things does Marco Polo describe in the book?
(a) The mysteries of the world.
(b) Things he stumbles upon.
(c) Things he sees and things he hears from others.
(d) Only the truth of what he sees.
6. _______________ was chosen to replace Queen Bulagan after her death.
(a) Napir Asu.
(b) Khanum Organa Hatum.
7. Who was the ruler of Kierman?
(a) Mazier Ozier.
(b) Rukmedin Achomak.
(c) Reobarle Ormus.
(d) Corobar Achomak.
8. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
9. Experiences between leaving in 1271 and returning in 1292 are described by Marco Polo through his chroniclers_________ and __________.
(a) Latham and Ramusio.
(b) Ramusio and Kustichello.
(c) Rustichello and Saint Barsamo.
(d) Ramusio and Rustigielo.
10. Why did the people of Karkan suffer from swollen legs and goiters?
(a) Tainted food.
(c) Bad drinking water.
11. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
12. Merchants in the city of Yasdi manufactured what?
(b) Woven baskets.
(c) Golden cups.
(d) Silk cloth.
13. What was the name of the eldest legitimate son of the grand khan?
14. What type of water could be found in Kobiam?
(a) Salt water.
(b) Bitter water.
(c) Citrus flavored water.
(d) Sulfur water.
15. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was penned in ________ by the writer Marco Polo commissioned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What miraculous event was said to have occurred at Samarcan?
2. Where was the mint of the grand khan located?
3. In ____, a battle began with the sultan of Egypt.
4. How long did it take to cross the desert called Lop?
5. What gift was sent from one of the Tartar princes to the Roman Pontiff from the city of Chinchitalas?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)