|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo sail to Sudak?
2. What were the names of the three magi?
(a) Belchior, Dyava, Haldasar.
(b) Balksar, Palasta, Gaspar.
(c) Demogar, Haldasar, Gaspar.
(d) Baldasar, Gaspar, Belchior.
3. What was manufactured in Arzingan?
(a) Fine cotton.
(b) Silver mirrors.
(c) Iron masks.
(d) Silk clothes.
4. What months did the grand khan reside in Kanbalu?
(a) December, January, February.
(b) March, April, May.
(c) October, November, December.
(d) September, October, November.
5. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
6. A thief could pay ______ the value of the property stolen in order to escape all further punishment.
(a) Twenty times.
(b) Twelve times.
(c) Six times.
(d) Nine times.
7. How is Marco Polo described in the Prologue?
(a) As a loyal follower of God.
(b) As an honest and trustworthy citizen of Venice.
(c) As a learned and honest citizen of Genoa.
(d) As a wise and learned citizen of Venice.
8. Marco Polo was _________ years old when Pope Clement died.
9. Tartars were experts in _______________.
(c) Iron maces.
10. _________ were not inhabitants of Tauris.
11. Marco Polo was curious and adept in seeing and describing the natural history of __________________.
(a) Birds, plants, beasts and spices.
(b) Birds, plants, beasts and herbs.
(c) Birds, plants, people and herbs.
(d) Birds, beasts, people and spices.
12. What allowed the inhabitants of Baldach or Bagadet to transport their goods to and from the sea of India?
(a) A hard, dirt-paved road.
(b) Strong and willing men carrying goods.
(c) A great river flowing in the midst of the city.
(d) Camel caravans.
13. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
(a) A bamboo chair.
(b) A pearl chair.
(c) A silver chair.
(d) A gold chair.
14. Trade-routes were costly to follow, so high value commodities like ________________ were needed to make a profit on the way.
(a) Precious gems, fabrics, spices and gold.
(b) Precious gems, silk, spices, and gold.
(c) Precious gems, furs, spices and gold.
(d) Precious gems, minerals, furs and gold.
15. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was penned in ________ by the writer Marco Polo commissioned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kubilai Khan fought a great battle with whom?
2. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was first introduced to the reading public in the thirteenth century as what?
3. What type of water could be found in Kobiam?
4. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
5. The Great Khan succeeded _______ to rule the eastern part of the Mongol empire.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)