|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far was Kotan from Karkan?
(a) Eight days journey.
(b) Three days journey.
(c) Twelve days journey.
(d) Six days journey.
2. According to Marco Polo, in the central part of Armenia lies an exceedingly large and high mountain. What can be found on this mountain?
(a) The Gate of Iron.
(b) The Fountain of Oil.
(c) The Ark of Noah.
(d) The Golden Tablets.
3. What did the workers at Saint Barsamo make?
(a) Silk hats.
(b) Woolen girdles.
(c) Cotton girdles.
(d) Woolen hats.
4. Why did the people of Karkan suffer from swollen legs and goiters?
(a) Bad drinking water.
(c) Tainted food.
5. What could be found in the castle of Paipurth, which was located between Trebizond and Tauris?
(a) Gold mine.
(b) Silver mine.
(c) Fountain of youth.
(d) Fountain of oil.
6. What were the names of the three magi?
(a) Balksar, Palasta, Gaspar.
(b) Belchior, Dyava, Haldasar.
(c) Demogar, Haldasar, Gaspar.
(d) Baldasar, Gaspar, Belchior.
7. Why was an umbrella carried overhead of the grand khan?
(a) It denoted rank and authority.
(b) To keep him cool in the heat.
(c) It was a sign of good will.
(d) To keep the sun from burning his skin.
8. Where was the mint of the grand khan located?
9. The Tartars had the best _________ in the world.
10. Experiences between leaving in 1271 and returning in 1292 are described by Marco Polo through his chroniclers_________ and __________.
(a) Ramusio and Kustichello.
(b) Rustichello and Saint Barsamo.
(c) Ramusio and Rustigielo.
(d) Latham and Ramusio.
11. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
12. What year did Kubilai Khan begin his reign?
13. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
(a) He thought they would be better able to defend themselves.
(b) He wanted to start new provinces with multiple groups of Tartars.
(c) He was worried they were becoming too lazy.
(d) He was apprehensive of their strength.
14. Marco Polo's descriptions of human history are ______________.
(b) Limited and inaccurate.
(c) Extensive but inaccurate.
(d) Limited but accurate.
15. What months did the grand khan reside in Kanbalu?
(a) December, January, February.
(b) September, October, November.
(c) October, November, December.
(d) March, April, May.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the ruler of Kierman?
2. In 1292, Marco Polo safely delivered a bride for _____.
3. According to the Prologue, what things does Marco Polo describe in the book?
4. What could be found in Kierman?
5. Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo started a venture sailing to Sudak to __________.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)