|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A thief could pay ______ the value of the property stolen in order to escape all further punishment.
(a) Six times.
(b) Nine times.
(c) Twelve times.
(d) Twenty times.
2. Tartars mostly survived on ____________ while on an expedition.
3. How is Marco Polo described in the Prologue?
(a) As a loyal follower of God.
(b) As a wise and learned citizen of Venice.
(c) As a learned and honest citizen of Genoa.
(d) As an honest and trustworthy citizen of Venice.
4. Kubilai Khan fought a great battle with whom?
5. What direction was Peyn from Kotan?
(b) North-east and east.
6. Tartars were experts in _______________.
(b) Iron maces.
7. In Zorzania, the king was usually called _______ .
(a) David Tartar.
(b) David Zorzania.
(c) David Melik.
(d) David Abaku.
8. What year did Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo sail to Sudak?
9. According to Marco Polo, in ancient times, kings of Zorzania were born with the mark of _____________ on the ___________ shoulder.
(a) An Eagle, right.
(b) An Eagle, left.
(c) A Lion, right.
(d) A Lion, left.
10. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
11. What miraculous event was said to have occurred at Samarcan?
(a) The pillar of the church raised and Zagatai was healed.
(b) The pillar of the church raised to reveal the gold cup.
(c) The pillar of the church fell and crushed a man who was raised back to life.
(d) The pillar of the church raised to reveal the stone.
12. According to the introduction, what made "The Travels of Marco Polo" a best seller?
(a) The mystery of Kubilai Khan's thirteenth century empire.
(b) Rustichello's writing.
(c) The wild and exciting tales.
(d) The ease in obtaining a copy of the book.
13. What did the name Kanbalu mean?
(a) City of the great khan.
(b) City of the sovereign.
(c) City of the beautiful.
(d) City of mass wealth.
14. _______________ was chosen to replace Queen Bulagan after her death.
(b) Napir Asu.
(d) Khanum Organa Hatum.
15. What is stated in the Prologue as one of the reasons someone would read this book?
(a) Those desirous of knowing the diversities of Asia.
(b) Those desirous of knowing the diversities of the races of mankind.
(c) Those desirous of knowing the mysterious secrets of the world.
(d) Those desirous of knowing the truth about The Great Khan.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______________ was an unknown term in medieval language.
2. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
3. How long did it take to cross the desert called Lop?
4. Trade-routes were costly to follow, so high value commodities like ________________ were needed to make a profit on the way.
5. What was the name of the eldest legitimate son of the grand khan?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)