|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marco Polo, in ancient times, kings of Zorzania were born with the mark of _____________ on the ___________ shoulder.
(a) A Lion, right.
(b) A Lion, left.
(c) An Eagle, left.
(d) An Eagle, right.
2. Marco Polo was curious and adept in seeing and describing the natural history of __________________.
(a) Birds, plants, beasts and spices.
(b) Birds, plants, beasts and herbs.
(c) Birds, beasts, people and spices.
(d) Birds, plants, people and herbs.
3. What could be found in the castle of Paipurth, which was located between Trebizond and Tauris?
(a) Gold mine.
(b) Fountain of oil.
(c) Fountain of youth.
(d) Silver mine.
4. Where was Chingis-khan buried?
5. People of Vokhan were of which religious persuasion?
6. What direction was Peyn from Kotan?
(d) North-east and east.
7. Experiences between leaving in 1271 and returning in 1292 are described by Marco Polo through his chroniclers_________ and __________.
(a) Latham and Ramusio.
(b) Ramusio and Rustigielo.
(c) Ramusio and Kustichello.
(d) Rustichello and Saint Barsamo.
8. Which characteristic does not fit Marco Polo's description of Turkomans?
(a) Dull of intellect.
(b) Followers of Mahomet.
(c) Rude people.
(d) Accepting of others.
9. From the East in 1206, whom did the Mongol tribes elect to rule northern China?
10. Survival required a practical traveler and merchant to take advantage of ___________along the route with natural and man-made obstacles.
(a) People, places and food.
(b) Shelter, routes and people.
(c) Food, water and transport.
(d) Water, shelter and food.
11. What gift was sent from one of the Tartar princes to the Roman Pontiff from the city of Chinchitalas?
(a) A coral salamander.
(b) A brilliant ruby.
(c) A woven napkin.
(d) A bronze statue.
12. How far was Kotan from Karkan?
(a) Three days journey.
(b) Six days journey.
(c) Eight days journey.
(d) Twelve days journey.
13. Why did the people of Karkan suffer from swollen legs and goiters?
(a) Bad drinking water.
(d) Tainted food.
14. Marco Polo's father and uncle were _________________.
(a) Traders from Genoa.
(b) Merchants in Genoa.
(c) Merchants in Constantinople.
(d) Traders from Constantinople.
15. What did the workers at Saint Barsamo make?
(a) Woolen girdles.
(b) Woolen hats.
(c) Silk hats.
(d) Cotton girdles.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was first introduced to the reading public in the thirteenth century as what?
2. Barka Khan was the lord of ______________.
3. What did the infant, Christ, give the wise men as they were leaving?
4. What year did Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo sail to Sudak?
5. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)