|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is stated in the Prologue as one of the reasons someone would read this book?
(a) Those desirous of knowing the diversities of Asia.
(b) Those desirous of knowing the mysterious secrets of the world.
(c) Those desirous of knowing the truth about The Great Khan.
(d) Those desirous of knowing the diversities of the races of mankind.
2. Merchants in the city of Yasdi manufactured what?
(b) Woven baskets.
(c) Silk cloth.
(d) Golden cups.
3. What could be found in Kierman?
(d) Fountains of oil.
4. What year did Kubilai Khan begin his reign?
5. Who did Kubilai Khan revere the most?
(d) Jesus Christ.
6. Marco Polo was an emissary of whom?
(a) Chief Alau.
(b) Kubilai Kahn.
(c) King Arghun.
7. Which characteristic does not fit Marco Polo's description of Turkomans?
(a) Rude people.
(b) Dull of intellect.
(c) Followers of Mahomet.
(d) Accepting of others.
8. What was the doctrine of faith held by the Tartars, according to Chapter 48?
(a) They believed in a deity whose nature was to subdue the world.
(b) They believed in a deity whose nature was sublime and heavenly.
(c) They believed in a deity whose nature was full of intellect.
(d) They believed in a deity whose nature was of wrath.
9. Where was Chingis-khan buried?
10. The narrator who translated the stories in "The Travels of Marco Polo" was from where?
11. In 1292, Marco Polo safely delivered a bride for _____.
(a) Theophylactus Simocatta.
12. What did the grand khan require be planted on the sides of roads?
13. Marco Polo was curious and adept in seeing and describing the natural history of __________________.
(a) Birds, beasts, people and spices.
(b) Birds, plants, beasts and spices.
(c) Birds, plants, people and herbs.
(d) Birds, plants, beasts and herbs.
14. What did the workers at Saint Barsamo make?
(a) Woolen hats.
(b) Silk hats.
(c) Cotton girdles.
(d) Woolen girdles.
15. What months did the grand khan reside in Kanbalu?
(a) March, April, May.
(b) October, November, December.
(c) September, October, November.
(d) December, January, February.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was proved by the shoemaker removing his right eye?
2. Why did the Great Khan send the Polos and a baron to the Pope requesting a hundred men?
3. Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo started a venture sailing to Sudak to __________.
4. According to Chapter 21, what type of tree grew in the province of Timochain?
5. How far was Kotan from Karkan?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)