|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In ____, a battle began with the sultan of Egypt.
2. ______________ was an unknown term in medieval language.
3. Barka Khan was the lord of ______________.
4. According to Marco Polo, in ancient times, kings of Zorzania were born with the mark of _____________ on the ___________ shoulder.
(a) A Lion, left.
(b) A Lion, right.
(c) An Eagle, left.
(d) An Eagle, right.
5. "The Travels of Marco Polo" was first introduced to the reading public in the thirteenth century as what?
(a) "A Description of the Kingdoms."
(b) "A Description of the World."
(c) "A Description of the Provinces."
(d) "A Description of the Empires."
6. Marco Polo was an emissary of whom?
(a) King Arghun.
(c) Chief Alau.
(d) Kubilai Kahn.
7. The Great Khan succeeded _______ to rule the eastern part of the Mongol empire.
(d) Mangku Kaan.
8. What was proved by the shoemaker removing his right eye?
(a) He will enter Paradise.
(b) He was a sinner doomed to hell.
(c) He was subject to the khalif's beliefs.
(d) His excellent faith.
9. What type of chair did the grand khan sit on when he was riding?
(a) A gold chair.
(b) A bamboo chair.
(c) A pearl chair.
(d) A silver chair.
10. Why did Prester John try to separate the Tartars?
(a) He thought they would be better able to defend themselves.
(b) He wanted to start new provinces with multiple groups of Tartars.
(c) He was apprehensive of their strength.
(d) He was worried they were becoming too lazy.
11. The city of Arzingan was located in ___.
(b) Armenia Minor.
(c) Armenia Major.
12. Niccolo Polo and Maffeo Polo started a venture sailing to Sudak to __________.
(a) Sell jewels.
(b) Sell silk.
(c) Sell spices.
(d) Sell minerals.
13. Where were the three magi buried?
(b) Arbor Secco.
14. The grand khan's military men carried a golden tablet with what type of picture engraved upon it?
(a) A falcon.
(b) The face of the grand khan.
(c) The feet of an elephant.
(d) A lion.
15. Survival required a practical traveler and merchant to take advantage of ___________along the route with natural and man-made obstacles.
(a) People, places and food.
(b) Food, water and transport.
(c) Shelter, routes and people.
(d) Water, shelter and food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift was sent from one of the Tartar princes to the Roman Pontiff from the city of Chinchitalas?
2. "Idolaters" include________.
3. What three regions were assigned to lesser family khans to rule over?
4. Kashcar was known for its production of what?
5. Why did the people of Karkan suffer from swollen legs and goiters?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)