|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Thaw", where do Rick and Brown camp?
2. Where does the bear chase Brown in "Bear Smacking"?
3. In "Guardian", why can't Brown enjoy the wonders of spring?
4. How many soldiers help to look for the handicapped man in "Search"?
5. In "Search", what does Brown discover the handicapped man to be eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps look for the lost handicapped man in "Search"?
2. What do Brown and Rick do when the hand emerges from the ground in "Thaw"?
3. What does Brown realize about the man by the Jeep in "The Journeyman"?
4. How does Brown describe following a trail in the beginning of "Search"?
5. What makes Brown question his education and path in life in "Search"?
6. Why do people give up on the search for the handicapped man in "Search"?
7. What happens when Brown encounters the drunks in "Thoreau Summer"?
8. In "True Lostness", why do Rick and Brown argue?
9. What does Brown say to himself after killing the deer in "Predator"?
10. Why does Brown agree to kill the wild dogs in "Outlaw Dogs"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brown's education in nature spans this entire novel. Trace Brown's education from beginning to end, selecting two or three turning points. What makes these moments most valuable in Brown's education?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in this novel have both physical and spiritual strength. Define both strengths and how they can be used together. Use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Brown feels most at ease in nature. Examine the scenes where Brown is at one with his surroundings and describe how the language and other literary devices in these scenes help to develop this idea.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)