|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Brown travel in "The Journeyman"?
2. What makes tracking the handicapped man in "Search" the hardest tracking Brown has ever done?
3. What does Brown do to the poachers truck in "Guardian"?
4. Who does Brown help control the dogs in "Outlaw Dogs"?
5. In "Search", what does Brown discover the handicapped man to be eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brown say to himself after killing the deer in "Predator"?
2. What happens when Brown encounters the drunks in "Thoreau Summer"?
3. What makes Brown question his education and path in life in "Search"?
4. What must Brown and Rick do to become "invisible" in "Invisible Walking"?
5. In "Thaw", what does Brown find funny about the police dogs?
6. In "Bear Smacking", how does Brown feel about the desert?
7. How does Brown feel about being sued by the SPCA in "Outlaw Dogs"?
8. Why does Brown know that poachers were killing deer in "Guardian"?
9. What does Brown do during the summer of "Thoreau Summer"?
10. What does Brown realize about the man by the Jeep in "The Journeyman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the folktale behind the Jersey Devil? How does Brown conquer his fear of the Jersey Devil? What is important about this act? What does the Jersey Devil ultimately represent?
Essay Topic 2
How does Brown's recognition of his calling in life build throughout the novel? Consider examples of foreshadowing along with the growth of Brown's skills. How does the author fulfill the need to give Brown a "happy ending"? How does he not?
Essay Topic 3
Brown's childhood is spent primarily roaming Pine Barrens instead of at home with his parents. How does this impact his growth? Why do his parents allow him such freedom? In what ways do the Pine Barrens become Brown's symbolic parents?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)