|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brown follow the poachers in "Guardian"?
2. Why does it take the deer a long time to die in "Predator"?
3. How does Stalking Wolf prepare the deer meat to bring home in "Predator"?
4. What does Brown do when he finds the hand sticking out of the ground during a camping trip?
5. Why does Brown leave town in "Outlaw Dogs"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Brown question his education and path in life in "Search"?
2. In "True Lostness", why are the beavers dead?
3. What makes the handicapped man's trail in "Search" the most difficult tracking Brown has ever done?
4. In "Thaw", what does Brown find funny about the police dogs?
5. In "True Lostness", why do Rick and Brown argue?
6. In "Guardian", what does Brown do when he finds the poachers?
7. How does Brown describe his two near-death experiences in "Bear Smacking"?
8. What happens when Brown tries to smack a bear in "Bear Smacking"?
9. What makes Brown and Rick's goodbye so difficult in "The End of the World"?
10. How does the spiritual pattern of the woods affect Brown in "Predator"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the folktale behind the Jersey Devil? How does Brown conquer his fear of the Jersey Devil? What is important about this act? What does the Jersey Devil ultimately represent?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the group of drunks with the group of poachers. What were their goals? What were their actions? What happened to each group?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in this novel have both physical and spiritual strength. Define both strengths and how they can be used together. Use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)