|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Search", what does the handicapped man do at a chicken coop?
2. How does Brown describe the handicapped man's trail in "Search"?
3. In "Invisible Walking", what animal in a stream of sunlight moves Brown to tears?
4. What does Brown tell his parents at the end of "Thaw"?
5. How long does Brown stay in Death Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must Brown and Rick do to become "invisible" in "Invisible Walking"?
2. What does Brown say to himself after killing the deer in "Predator"?
3. In "Predator", how does Brown describe the deer he kills?
4. In "True Lostness", why do Rick and Brown argue?
5. What makes the handicapped man's trail in "Search" the most difficult tracking Brown has ever done?
6. How do Brown and Rick create an eerie mood for themselves in "Thaw"?
7. In "Thaw", what does Brown find funny about the police dogs?
8. How does the spiritual pattern of the woods affect Brown in "Predator"?
9. What happens when Brown tries to smack a bear in "Bear Smacking"?
10. In "Invisible Walking", what perfect, life-altering scene does Brown see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is bear smacking? Why does Brown try smacking a bear? What is symbolic about the results of this attempt?
Essay Topic 2
What is good medicine to Brown? How does Brown use good medicine to better his life and the lives of others?
Essay Topic 3
Native American lifestyles and philosophies are referenced throughout this novel. Research some of the beliefs, legends and ways of life that are described in this novel and compare them to the representation of them in the text. Is this novel accurate? How or how is it not? What is important about this?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)