|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandfather teaches Brown and Rick how to build a warm place to sleep out of what?
2. In "The Ultimate Track", what does Brown say the best mysteries are?
3. What happens during the first week Brown and Rick wait at the Dog Tree in "Omen"?
4. What does Brown throw at the dogs when they wait for him at the river's bank in "The Dog Tree"?
5. What do Brown and Rick name the area of Pine Barrens known for the Jersey Devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of "Night Crawl", what is Brown's final opinion of his camping trip?
2. Why is Brown unable to see anything in "Night Crawl"?
3. How does Brown know the way to rescue Rick from the quick mud?
4. In "The Ultimate Track", how does Brown describe tracking?
5. What do Brown's parents think of his time in the woods?
6. In "Chickadee Survival", why doesn't the storm threaten Brown?
7. Why does Stalking Wolf call the dogs "guardians" in "Omen"?
8. Describe the rite of passage in "Cold Training"?
9. Which two houses are Brown and Rick afraid of on the path to their cabin?
10. How does Brown react to being blinded in "Night Crawl"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do dogs play in this novel? Consider the wild dogs, police dogs and other dogs. How are they symbolic? How are they characters?
Essay Topic 2
Brown's childhood is spent primarily roaming Pine Barrens instead of at home with his parents. How does this impact his growth? Why do his parents allow him such freedom? In what ways do the Pine Barrens become Brown's symbolic parents?
Essay Topic 3
Stalking Wolf has an interesting teaching method. Describe the way Stalking Wolf teaches, how his students learn and how this style of teaching is different from traditional school.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)