|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after Rick gets stuck in quick mud, what do Brown and Rick do?
2. In "Night Crawl", what happens after Brown and Rick find the rabbit prints?
3. What does Brown tell the rescuers that come in "Chickadee Survival"?
4. In "Omen", what do the boys look for in the pit?
5. In "Jersey Devil", what does Brown see when he thinks he sees the Jersey Devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brown's first impression of Rick?
2. What story does Stalking Wolf tell about "smacking the bear"?
3. What does Brown learn about night tracking in "Night Crawl"?
4. What happens once Brown is chased up the tree in "The Dog Tree"?
5. What happens in "Omen" when Brown and Rick go into the pit?
6. How does Brown react to being blinded in "Night Crawl"?
7. What two human rescues do Brown and Rick take part in in "Chickadee Survival"?
8. What happened when Brown was attacked by a wild dog when he was 10?
9. Which two houses are Brown and Rick afraid of on the path to their cabin?
10. How does Brown end up getting out of the tree and escaping the dogs in "The Dog Tree"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brown's childhood is spent primarily roaming Pine Barrens instead of at home with his parents. How does this impact his growth? Why do his parents allow him such freedom? In what ways do the Pine Barrens become Brown's symbolic parents?
Essay Topic 2
How does Brown's recognition of his calling in life build throughout the novel? Consider examples of foreshadowing along with the growth of Brown's skills. How does the author fulfill the need to give Brown a "happy ending"? How does he not?
Essay Topic 3
What role do dogs play in this novel? Consider the wild dogs, police dogs and other dogs. How are they symbolic? How are they characters?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)