|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brown get his definition of a "holy source?"
2. In "Night Crawl", even though Brown can't see, what does he do?
3. What does Brown throw at the dogs when they wait for him at the river's bank in "The Dog Tree"?
4. What does Brown do in "The Dog Tree" when he is chased by dogs?
5. How do Brown and Rick trap the dogs in "Omen"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two human rescues do Brown and Rick take part in in "Chickadee Survival"?
2. In "The Ultimate Track", how do Brown and Rick prepare themselves to be trackers?
3. How do the Boy Scout leaders try to prepare for the storm in "Chickadee Survival"?
4. What happens when the wild dogs sneak up on Brown and Rick as they are celebrating finishing building their cabin?
5. What happens when the dogs get out of the pit in "Omen"?
6. What happens in "Omen" when Brown and Rick go into the pit?
7. How is Brown able to stand the cold during his rite of passage in "Cold Training"?
8. What test does Stalking Wolf give Brown in "Jersey Devil"?
9. How does Brown choose where to build the Good Medicine Cabin?
10. Why is Brown out alone in "The Dog Tree"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brown's childhood is spent primarily roaming Pine Barrens instead of at home with his parents. How does this impact his growth? Why do his parents allow him such freedom? In what ways do the Pine Barrens become Brown's symbolic parents?
Essay Topic 2
What is bear smacking? Why does Brown try smacking a bear? What is symbolic about the results of this attempt?
Essay Topic 3
Define what the art of tracking is. What makes a successful tracker? How does one become a tracker? What is the value of trackers in society?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)