|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character sets up cameras along the fence?
2. What happens as Candidó is walking toward the Italian market?
3. What makes América so happy that she does not notice the fire?
4. What does Jordan search for in his home?
5. What happens to the bills Candidó is saving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dominick Flood appears in Boyle's story only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Flood's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Boyle uses in writing about Flood.
Essay Topic 2
América eventually finds work at the labor exchange. What sort of work does she find? Do you think this particular form of work is ironic for América? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Boyle uses a great deal of imagery in his book, particularly in the final chapters. What specific examples of imagery does Boyle include? How does this imagery add to the readers' experience of the story?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)