|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Delaney commit to openly opposing the wall?
2. What animal does Candidó tell América they are eating?
3. What is the topic of Delaney's column, "Pilgrim at Topanga Creek"?
4. Why does Delaney let a Mexican work crew into his yard?
5. Who calls 911 when he sees Candidó?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Delaney and Candidó. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 2
The coyote reappears numerous times throughout this work. What does the coyote symbolize according to the narrator and to Delaney? How does Delaney's understanding of coyotes also relate to his understanding of Mexican immigrants?
Essay Topic 3
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)