|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who extends his hand to lift Delaney to safety from the flood?
2. Who does Kyra complain to about the squatters?
3. Which of the following does Candidó not take from homes in Arroyo Blanco Estates?
4. Who does Delaney ultimately discover has been spray-painting the gate?
5. Why is América angry with Candidó after he decides to return from Canoga Park to their old campsite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Boyle's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)