|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delaney do to the incriminating pictures of the people who spray-painted the gate?
2. What does América think causes Socorro to be blind?
3. What does Delaney overhear Jack, Jr., saying about Mexican girls?
4. Which of the following characters has a darkroom?
5. Why is América angry with Candidó after he decides to return from Canoga Park to their old campsite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Candidó experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with marriage and living in the United States. What do these flashbacks teach us about Candidó? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Boyle's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)