|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes América so happy that she does not notice the fire?
2. What does América think causes Socorro to be blind?
3. Why does Kyra begin to resent the Da Ros mansion?
4. What does Delaney do when he sees Candidó walking on the side of the road?
5. Which of the following homes is burned in the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The coyote reappears numerous times throughout this work. What does the coyote symbolize according to the narrator and to Delaney? How does Delaney's understanding of coyotes also relate to his understanding of Mexican immigrants?
Essay Topic 2
América eventually finds work at the labor exchange. What sort of work does she find? Do you think this particular form of work is ironic for América? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Boyle uses a great deal of imagery in his book, particularly in the final chapters. What specific examples of imagery does Boyle include? How does this imagery add to the readers' experience of the story?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)