|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kit, Kyra, and Delaney go after they hear that a fire has broken out?
2. What does Candidó decide to do with the cat?
3. Who extends his hand to lift Delaney to safety from the flood?
4. What has happened to Candidó to delay his arrival at Canoga Park?
5. Which of the following characters says the fence surrounding Arroyo Blanco Estates makes her feel safer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters' names are symbolic in this story. Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Boyle choose these particular names for the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)