|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Candidó not take from homes in Arroyo Blanco Estates?
2. Who extends his hand to lift Delaney to safety from the flood?
3. What is Kyra's relationship to Darlene?
4. What has happened to Candidó to delay his arrival at Canoga Park?
5. Which of the following characters says the fence surrounding Arroyo Blanco Estates makes her feel safer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The wall is a significant part of Boyle's story. What does the wall symbolize? What similarities can you give between the wall and Candidó's qualities?
Essay Topic 3
In the initial part of the book, Delaney is firmly against the construction of a security fence around his neighborhood. How does his opinion change over time and why? What influences does he encounter that result in these fluctuations?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)