|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday do Kyra, Delaney, Jordan, and other residents of Arroyo Blanco Estates celebrate together?
2. Why does Kyra pull off the side of the road?
3. What is Kyra's relationship to Darlene?
4. Which of the following homes is burned in the fire?
5. Which part of the Da Ros home remains intact after the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boyle's story presents two marriages that appear to be very different from one another. How are the relationships different? How are they the same? Be sure to use specific examples from your reading.
Essay Topic 2
Candidó experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with marriage and living in the United States. What do these flashbacks teach us about Candidó? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)