|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kyra give as her main reason for supporting the construction of a stone wall?
2. Where does América tell Candidó she wants to move?
3. Who notes that Delaney's column has made several people angry?
4. Why does Delaney let a Mexican work crew into his yard?
5. What makes América so happy that she does not notice the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Candidó experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with marriage and living in the United States. What do these flashbacks teach us about Candidó? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How do the characters respond to the climax? What does Boyle include in his story to insure that the climax will be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)