|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Candidó look for América after her first day of work?
2. What does Candidó buy for his wife with his earnings?
3. To whom does Kyra show the Da Ros mansion?
4. Osbert is what type of animal?
5. In what situation does Kyra first see Candidó?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Candidó do after he realizes that the labor exchange has been torn down?
2. Why does Candidó think América needs more protein? How does he make sure she gets enough protein?
3. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
4. What does Delaney overhear at the Arroyo Blanco Estates community center?
5. What sorts of injuries does Candidó suffer after being hit by a car?
6. Describe how the two Mexicans come to be arrested by the police.
7. Where does this story take place?
8. Describe the relationships between Delaney, Kyra, and Jordan.
9. Describe how Candidó acquires a frozen turkey.
10. Why does Delaney drive down to the trails for a hike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the sexual assault on América foreshadowed in the earlier part of the book? Do you expect her to be assaulted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick Flood appears in Boyle's story only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Flood's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Boyle uses in writing about Flood.
Essay Topic 3
Kyra and América are two women in the same town, yet are very different in numerous ways. Compare and contrast the two female characters by using specific examples from Boyle's book.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)