|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who flatters Delaney by praising his magazine column?
2. Of what does Delaney accuse Jack Jardine as they discuss the security gate?
3. Who or what does Candidó protect from being attacked by men in Topanga State Park?
4. Who gives América a cup of coffee?
5. Who is Dominick Flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Delaney's encounter at Arroyo Blanco Estates with the Mexican who wears his hat backward.
2. Describe América's interaction with the light-skinned Mexican at the labor exchange.
3. Describe the flashback Candidó has regarding his encounter with the INS.
4. What are two examples of crimes at Arroyo Blanco Estates that are discussed at Jack's party?
5. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
6. What are the interactions between América and Candidó like after he returns from being beaten?
7. What does Dominick Flood do when the fire breaks out? How do we know?
8. What does Candidó do after he is replaced by a legal immigrant on Lopez's crew?
9. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
10. What impact does the attack by the light-skinned Mexican and his friend have on América?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the experience of Candidó and América in the first part of the book from the point at which Candidó is hit by a car to the point at which he is recovered from his injuries. What is it like for them to be living in the United States? What are the advantages and disadvantages of their current living and employment situations?
Essay Topic 2
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
Essay Topic 3
Dominick Flood appears in Boyle's story only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Flood's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Boyle uses in writing about Flood.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)