|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago does Candidó remember being in Arroyo Blanco Estates?
2. With what does Candidó build their new shelter?
3. How does Candidó know his wife has been attacked?
4. Where does Candidó look for América after her first day of work?
5. What jerks Delaney out of his flashback?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the topic of conversation at the first gathering at Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
2. What does Delaney overhear at the Arroyo Blanco Estates community center?
3. Describe Delaney's encounter at Arroyo Blanco Estates with the Mexican who wears his hat backward.
4. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
5. What does Candidó do after he is replaced by a legal immigrant on Lopez's crew?
6. What occurs after Delaney enters América's and Candidó's shack with his gun?
7. Describe the physical appearance of the homes and grounds at Arroyo Blanco Estates.
8. Describe how the two Mexicans come to be arrested by the police.
9. What does Delaney think happened to his car while he is hiking?
10. Describe the scene at Dominick Flood's home on Thanksgiving.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
Essay Topic 2
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How do the characters respond to the climax? What does Boyle include in his story to insure that the climax will be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)