Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death does the accident victim hallucinate about?
2. Where does Delaney go after he hits the person with his car?
3. According to one resident, three Mexicans disguised themselves as what to get past the gate of Arroyo Blanco Estates?
4. What does the man in the parking lot do to Candidó?
5. What sort of work is América hoping for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Delaney dislike Kenny Grissom?
2. What is Delaney's encounter with the light-skinned Mexican and his friend like?
3. What do Delaney and Jack Jardine argue about at the supermarket?
4. How does Candidó collect materials to build a shelter for himself and his family?
5. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
6. What is the topic of conversation at the first gathering at Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
7. What does Delaney discover when he develops the film in the Cherrystones' home? How does he recognize this person?
8. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
9. What are the interactions between América and Candidó like after he returns from being beaten?
10. What does Candidó do after he decides that the current campsite is not safe enough for him and América?
Essay Topic 1
Dominick Flood appears in Boyle's story only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Flood's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Boyle uses in writing about Flood.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the experience of Candidó and América in the first part of the book from the point at which Candidó is hit by a car to the point at which he is recovered from his injuries. What is it like for them to be living in the United States? What are the advantages and disadvantages of their current living and employment situations?
Essay Topic 3
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)