Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death does the accident victim hallucinate about?
2. Where does Delaney go after he hits the person with his car?
3. According to one resident, three Mexicans disguised themselves as what to get past the gate of Arroyo Blanco Estates?
4. What does the man in the parking lot do to Candidó?
5. What sort of work is América hoping for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Delaney dislike Kenny Grissom?
2. What is Delaney's encounter with the light-skinned Mexican and his friend like?
3. What do Delaney and Jack Jardine argue about at the supermarket?
4. How does Candidó collect materials to build a shelter for himself and his family?
5. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
6. What is the topic of conversation at the first gathering at Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
7. What does Delaney discover when he develops the film in the Cherrystones' home? How does he recognize this person?
8. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
9. What are the interactions between América and Candidó like after he returns from being beaten?
10. What does Candidó do after he decides that the current campsite is not safe enough for him and América?
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How do the characters respond to the climax? What does Boyle include in his story to insure that the climax will be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
How is the sexual assault on América foreshadowed in the earlier part of the book? Do you expect her to be assaulted? Why or why not?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)