|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Candidó make the first day of working for Al Lopez?
2. What does Delaney do after lunch with Kyra?
3. What do América and Candidó fight about before she goes to the labor exchange?
4. Why is Kyra dissatisfied with her appearance?
5. Osbert is what type of animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationships between Delaney, Kyra, and Jordan.
2. What is the general message of Delaney's column, "Pilgrim at Topanga Creek"?
3. What does Delaney discover when he develops the film in the Cherrystones' home? How does he recognize this person?
4. Describe the typical weekday morning routine for Kyra, Delaney, and Jordan.
5. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
6. How does Delaney discover that Candidó is not guilty of spray painting the gate?
7. How does Kyra come to decide that the 'real' money is in developing rather than in real estate?
8. What impact does the attack by the light-skinned Mexican and his friend have on América?
9. What is Candidó's reaction to the onset of América's contractions?
10. What sorts of injuries does Candidó suffer after being hit by a car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
América eventually finds work at the labor exchange. What sort of work does she find? Do you think this particular form of work is ironic for América? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
Essay Topic 3
The wall is a significant part of Boyle's story. What does the wall symbolize? What similarities can you give between the wall and Candidó's qualities?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)