|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Candidó work for Al Lopez before he is replaced?
2. What is characteristic of the man Delaney sees in the parking lot?
3. Who flatters Delaney by praising his magazine column?
4. Which of the following describes the appearance of the homes in Arroyo Blanco Estates?
5. What does Candidó swear he will do to the two men who attacked his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kyra come to decide that the 'real' money is in developing rather than in real estate?
2. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
3. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
4. Describe the typical weekday morning routine for Kyra, Delaney, and Jordan.
5. Describe the physical appearance of the homes and grounds at Arroyo Blanco Estates.
6. What does Candidó do after he decides that the current campsite is not safe enough for him and América?
7. Why is Delaney's car hit by a pickup truck?
8. What happens to Candidó in the parking lot of the Chinese grocery?
9. Describe the first interaction between Delaney and Candidó.
10. What does Dominick Flood do when the fire breaks out? How do we know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
Essay Topic 3
Characters' names are symbolic in this story. Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Boyle choose these particular names for the characters?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)