|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does América's new job consist of?
2. What language does Delaney hear further down the trail?
3. What does Candidó swear he will do to the two men who attacked his wife?
4. What time of day does the labor exchange close?
5. In what situation does Kyra first see Candidó?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Delaney discover when he develops the film in the Cherrystones' home? How does he recognize this person?
2. How does Delaney perceive fall weather in Los Angeles?
3. What does Kyra give Delaney when he helps her close the Da Ros place? What does Delaney tell her when she describes to him why she likes the mansion?
4. Describe Candidó's and América's experiences at Canoga Park.
5. Describe Candidó's flashback about Resurrección.
6. How does Kyra come to decide that the 'real' money is in developing rather than in real estate?
7. Why does Kyra begin sleeping in Jordan's bedroom?
8. What impact does the attack by the light-skinned Mexican and his friend have on América?
9. Is the security fence effective in keeping out coyotes from residents' yards? How do you know?
10. Where does this story take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Delaney and Candidó. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the experience of Candidó and América in the first part of the book from the point at which Candidó is hit by a car to the point at which he is recovered from his injuries. What is it like for them to be living in the United States? What are the advantages and disadvantages of their current living and employment situations?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How do the characters respond to the climax? What does Boyle include in his story to insure that the climax will be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)