|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kyra have difficulty selling the Da Ros house?
2. How does Kyra recognize Candidó?
3. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
4. According to one resident, three Mexicans disguised themselves as what to get past the gate of Arroyo Blanco Estates?
5. What does Delaney run out of while cooking dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe América's interaction with the light-skinned Mexican at the labor exchange.
2. Why does Candidó think América needs more protein? How does he make sure she gets enough protein?
3. Describe Candidó's and América's experiences at Canoga Park.
4. What does Delaney overhear at the Arroyo Blanco Estates community center?
5. What does Candidó do after he is replaced by a legal immigrant on Lopez's crew?
6. What do Delaney and Jack Jardine argue about at the supermarket?
7. What happens to Candidó in the parking lot of the Chinese grocery?
8. What is Candidó's reaction to the onset of América's contractions?
9. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
10. Describe how Candidó acquires a frozen turkey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters' names are symbolic in this story. Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Boyle choose these particular names for the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In the initial part of the book, Delaney is firmly against the construction of a security fence around his neighborhood. How does his opinion change over time and why? What influences does he encounter that result in these fluctuations?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)