|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Delaney angry toward his neighbors?
2. What jerks Delaney out of his flashback?
3. Who or what reportedly attacks Sunny DiMandia?
4. What does Delaney see on his walk through Arroyo Blanco?
5. What is characteristic of the man Delaney sees in the parking lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the typical weekday morning routine for Kyra, Delaney, and Jordan.
2. Describe América's new employer and what sort of work he hires her to do.
3. Describe the flashback Candidó has regarding his encounter with the INS.
4. Why does Delaney drive down to the trails for a hike?
5. What does Candidó do after he is replaced by a legal immigrant on Lopez's crew?
6. How does Delaney perceive fall weather in Los Angeles?
7. Why is Delaney's car hit by a pickup truck?
8. Why does Kyra begin sleeping in Jordan's bedroom?
9. What is the general message of Delaney's column, "Pilgrim at Topanga Creek"?
10. Describe Candidó's flashback about Resurrección.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick Flood appears in Boyle's story only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Flood's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Boyle uses in writing about Flood.
Essay Topic 3
The wall is a significant part of Boyle's story. What does the wall symbolize? What similarities can you give between the wall and Candidó's qualities?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)