|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Delaney drive?
2. What time of day does the labor exchange close?
3. What does the man in the parking lot do to Candidó?
4. What is Kyra wearing when Delaney returns home from his walk around Arroyo Blanco in the evening?
5. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dominick Flood do when the fire breaks out? How do we know?
2. What is Candidó's reaction to the onset of América's contractions?
3. Describe the flashback Candidó has regarding his encounter with the INS.
4. What helps América emerge from her depression?
5. What does Candidó do after he realizes that the labor exchange has been torn down?
6. What does Delaney think happened to his car while he is hiking?
7. Describe the relationship between América and Candidó.
8. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
9. Why does Candidó become so angry with América that he slaps her?
10. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
Essay Topic 2
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Boyle's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)