|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candidó swear he will do to the two men who attacked his wife?
2. Which of the following would Kyra like to live in someday?
3. What does Delaney see near the creek in the canyon?
4. According to one resident, three Mexicans disguised themselves as what to get past the gate of Arroyo Blanco Estates?
5. What is Delaney Mossbacher's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Candidó collect materials to build a shelter for himself and his family?
2. What is Kyra's response to the large group of Mexican men sitting outside a convenience store?
3. Describe the flashback Candidó has regarding his encounter with the INS.
4. What is Candidó's reaction to the onset of América's contractions?
5. Why does Candidó become so angry with América that he slaps her?
6. What sorts of injuries does Candidó suffer after being hit by a car?
7. What are two examples of crimes at Arroyo Blanco Estates that are discussed at Jack's party?
8. Describe how the two Mexicans come to be arrested by the police.
9. Describe Kyra's relationship with the Da Ros place.
10. What is the topic of conversation at the first gathering at Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
América eventually finds work at the labor exchange. What sort of work does she find? Do you think this particular form of work is ironic for América? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Kyra and América are two women in the same town, yet are very different in numerous ways. Compare and contrast the two female characters by using specific examples from Boyle's book.
Essay Topic 3
Boyle's book revolves around ethical and moral issues as well as questions regarding ethical boundaries. What ethical boundaries are breached or broken in this story? Does this happen because of necessity or simple ignorance? Identify one ethical boundary and defend the character's reasoning for breaking it.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)