|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chooses Candidó for work?
2. What does América's new job consist of?
3. What does Kyra do about the Mexican laborers outside the 7-Eleven?
4. What does Candidó consider stealing out of a car when he becomes angry?
5. How long does Candidó work for Al Lopez before he is replaced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two examples of crimes at Arroyo Blanco Estates that are discussed at Jack's party?
2. Why does Candidó think América needs more protein? How does he make sure she gets enough protein?
3. What impact does the attack by the light-skinned Mexican and his friend have on América?
4. Describe Candidó's and América's experiences at Canoga Park.
5. Describe the first interaction between Delaney and Candidó.
6. What do Kyra and Delaney do for a living?
7. Describe the relationship between América and Candidó.
8. Is the security fence effective in keeping out coyotes from residents' yards? How do you know?
9. What sorts of injuries does Candidó suffer after being hit by a car?
10. How does Candidó collect materials to build a shelter for himself and his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The coyote reappears numerous times throughout this work. What does the coyote symbolize according to the narrator and to Delaney? How does Delaney's understanding of coyotes also relate to his understanding of Mexican immigrants?
Essay Topic 2
Boyle uses a great deal of imagery in his book, particularly in the final chapters. What specific examples of imagery does Boyle include? How does this imagery add to the readers' experience of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Boyle's story presents two marriages that appear to be very different from one another. How are the relationships different? How are they the same? Be sure to use specific examples from your reading.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)