|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives América a cup of coffee?
2. Where does Candidó look for América after her first day of work?
3. Where does Delaney go after he hits the person with his car?
4. Who presides over the meeting at the Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
5. How many days does América look for work before she finds a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
2. Describe the relationships between Delaney, Kyra, and Jordan.
3. Describe Candidó's and América's experiences at Canoga Park.
4. Describe the typical weekday morning routine for Kyra, Delaney, and Jordan.
5. Why does Candidó become so angry with América that he slaps her?
6. What is the general message of Delaney's column, "Pilgrim at Topanga Creek"?
7. What is Delaney's plan for catching anyone who comes near the gate?
8. Describe Candidó's and América's escape from the fire in the canyon.
9. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
10. What does Candidó do after he realizes that the labor exchange has been torn down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Boyle's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)