|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following would Kyra like to live in someday?
2. What injuries does the person Delaney hit with his car suffer?
3. According to one resident, three Mexicans disguised themselves as what to get past the gate of Arroyo Blanco Estates?
4. Where does Delaney meet Kyra for lunch?
5. What does Delaney run out of while cooking dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What helps América emerge from her depression?
2. What does Dominick Flood do when the fire breaks out? How do we know?
3. What is the general message of Delaney's column, "Pilgrim at Topanga Creek"?
4. Describe Delaney's encounter at Arroyo Blanco Estates with the Mexican who wears his hat backward.
5. What does Delaney think happened to his car while he is hiking?
6. Describe Candidó's interaction with the light-skinned Mexican in the park.
7. Describe the circumstances in which Delaney meets Dominick Flood.
8. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
9. Is the security fence effective in keeping out coyotes from residents' yards? How do you know?
10. Describe how the two Mexicans come to be arrested by the police.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the initial part of the book, Delaney is firmly against the construction of a security fence around his neighborhood. How does his opinion change over time and why? What influences does he encounter that result in these fluctuations?
Essay Topic 2
Critical events in Boyle's story revolve around the Thanksgiving holiday, and the term "pilgrim" is mentioned at least twice throughout the story. Why do you think Boyle chose Thanksgiving and pilgrims in this particular book? What sort of meanings are attached to the terms? How do those meanings relate to the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Characters' names are symbolic in this story. Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Boyle choose these particular names for the characters?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)