|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Delaney has a flashback to a party held where, two nights earlier?
2. What language does Delaney hear further down the trail?
3. How long ago does Candidó remember being in Arroyo Blanco Estates?
4. Who flatters Delaney by praising his magazine column?
5. How many hours each day does Delaney devote to his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the physical appearance of the homes and grounds at Arroyo Blanco Estates.
2. What are two examples of crimes at Arroyo Blanco Estates that are discussed at Jack's party?
3. What helps América emerge from her depression?
4. Why does Candidó become so angry with América that he slaps her?
5. What is Delaney's response to Kyra's report that she called the police about the group of Mexicans outside the convenience store?
6. What does Delaney discover when he develops the film in the Cherrystones' home? How does he recognize this person?
7. Describe the typical weekday morning routine for Kyra, Delaney, and Jordan.
8. What is the topic of conversation at the first gathering at Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
9. Is the security fence effective in keeping out coyotes from residents' yards? How do you know?
10. What does Delaney think happened to his car while he is hiking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do specific characters conform to expectations of those around them in Boyle's story? In what context does this occur? What is the author seeming to say about the impact that conformation may have on relationships between people?
Essay Topic 2
Boyle uses a great deal of imagery in his book, particularly in the final chapters. What specific examples of imagery does Boyle include? How does this imagery add to the readers' experience of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the experience of Candidó and América in the first part of the book from the point at which Candidó is hit by a car to the point at which he is recovered from his injuries. What is it like for them to be living in the United States? What are the advantages and disadvantages of their current living and employment situations?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)