|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What jerks Delaney out of his flashback?
2. What does Candidó buy for himself with some of his earnings?
3. Who fixes Delaney's car?
4. Whose death does the accident victim hallucinate about?
5. How does Kyra recognize Candidó?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Candidó do after he realizes that the labor exchange has been torn down?
2. What occurs after Delaney enters América's and Candidó's shack with his gun?
3. How does Delaney perceive fall weather in Los Angeles?
4. Why does Delaney drive down to the trails for a hike?
5. What impact does the attack by the light-skinned Mexican and his friend have on América?
6. What does Kyra give Delaney when he helps her close the Da Ros place? What does Delaney tell her when she describes to him why she likes the mansion?
7. How does Kyra come to decide that the 'real' money is in developing rather than in real estate?
8. Describe Candidó's flashback about Resurrección.
9. What is Delaney's response to Kyra's report that she called the police about the group of Mexicans outside the convenience store?
10. What do Delaney and Jack Jardine argue about at the supermarket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How do the characters respond to the climax? What does Boyle include in his story to insure that the climax will be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
Essay Topic 2
América eventually finds work at the labor exchange. What sort of work does she find? Do you think this particular form of work is ironic for América? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)