|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what languages does Delaney speak to the accident victim?
2. Where do Candidó and América store their savings?
3. Why does Kyra decide she will call INS on the Mexican men at the convenience store?
4. What does Candidó consider stealing out of a car when he becomes angry?
5. Where do Delaney and his wife live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Candidó's flashback about Resurrección.
2. Describe how Candidó acquires a frozen turkey.
3. How does Kyra come to decide that the 'real' money is in developing rather than in real estate?
4. What does Delaney think happened to his car while he is hiking?
5. What is Delaney's plan for catching anyone who comes near the gate?
6. Describe América's experience looking for work at the labor exchange.
7. Describe the relationship between América and Candidó.
8. Describe Kyra's relationship with the Da Ros place.
9. How does Delaney discover that Candidó is not guilty of spray painting the gate?
10. What does Candidó do after he decides that the current campsite is not safe enough for him and América?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How do the characters respond to the climax? What does Boyle include in his story to insure that the climax will be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
Essay Topic 2
How is Boyle's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot is adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
The title of Boyle's work, "The Tortilla Curtain," does not obviously communicate the theme of his book. In your opinion, why does Boyle choose this particular title for his work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)