|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does América bring to Candidó when she returns home?
2. How much does América make per hour?
3. Who makes up the rest of Delaney's household?
4. Which character says he thinks building a gate is necessary?
5. Who does Delaney hit with his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the interactions between América and Candidó like after he returns from being beaten?
2. Why is Delaney's car hit by a pickup truck?
3. What occurs after Delaney enters América's and Candidó's shack with his gun?
4. Describe Delaney's encounter at Arroyo Blanco Estates with the Mexican who wears his hat backward.
5. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
6. Describe the first time Kyra sees Candidó.
7. Describe América's experience looking for work at the labor exchange.
8. Describe Candidó's flashback about Resurrección.
9. What does Dominick Flood do when the fire breaks out? How do we know?
10. What impact does the attack by the light-skinned Mexican and his friend have on América?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The wall is a significant part of Boyle's story. What does the wall symbolize? What similarities can you give between the wall and Candidó's qualities?
Essay Topic 2
Dominick Flood appears in Boyle's story only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Flood's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Boyle uses in writing about Flood.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Delaney and Candidó. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)