|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kyra dissatisfied with her appearance?
2. Who gives América a cup of coffee?
3. Where does Delaney go after he hits the person with his car?
4. What does Candidó swear he will do to the two men who attacked his wife?
5. Where does Candidó look for América after her first day of work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Candidó become so angry with América that he slaps her?
2. What does Candidó do after he decides that the current campsite is not safe enough for him and América?
3. Where does this story take place?
4. What is the general message of Delaney's column, "Pilgrim at Topanga Creek"?
5. Describe the relationship between América and Candidó.
6. What does Kyra give Delaney when he helps her close the Da Ros place? What does Delaney tell her when she describes to him why she likes the mansion?
7. What does Candidó do after he realizes that the labor exchange has been torn down?
8. What helps América emerge from her depression?
9. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
10. Describe América's interaction with the light-skinned Mexican at the labor exchange.
Essay Topic 1
Which character in Boyle's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
Essay Topic 2
Candidó experiences flashbacks in this story that refer to his prior experiences with marriage and living in the United States. What do these flashbacks teach us about Candidó? What purpose do the flashbacks serve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is the sexual assault on América foreshadowed in the earlier part of the book? Do you expect her to be assaulted? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)