|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does América encounter on the trail to her campsite?
(a) The light-skinned Mexican and his friend.
(b) Jack Jardine and Jack, Jr.
(c) Candidó and Delaney.
(d) Kyra and Jordan.
2. Who chooses Candidó for work?
(a) América's father.
(b) No one.
(c) Jack Jardine.
3. Where does Delaney meet Kyra for lunch?
(a) An Indian restaurant.
(b) A diner on the beach.
(c) The country club.
(d) The town's only Mexican restaurant.
4. What causes Candidó's first marriage to end?
(a) He leaves her when he moves to the United States.
(b) His wife was sleeping with someone else.
(c) He beats his wife mercilessly.
(d) His first wife died suddenly.
5. What does Kyra do about the Mexican laborers outside the 7-Eleven?
(b) Rallies support from the neighborhood to help them find places to live.
(c) Reported the men for their illegal status.
(d) Gets to know each one of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the bag the accident victim carries?
2. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
3. Who goes with Delaney to buy pasta for dinner?
4. Where does Candidó look for América after her first day of work?
5. Which character says he thinks building a gate is necessary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Candidó's interaction with the light-skinned Mexican in the park.
2. What is Delaney's plan for catching anyone who comes near the gate?
3. Describe the circumstances in which Delaney meets Dominick Flood.
4. How does Kyra come to decide that the 'real' money is in developing rather than in real estate?
5. Describe Candidó's flashback about Resurrección.
6. How does Delaney perceive fall weather in Los Angeles?
7. Describe América's interaction with the light-skinned Mexican at the labor exchange.
8. What does América notice about Socorro's health? How does she first notice it?
9. Why does Candidó become so angry with América that he slaps her?
10. What does Candidó do after he realizes that the labor exchange has been torn down?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)