|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dominick Flood reports that he will arrange to close what facility?
(a) The local health department.
(b) The labor exchange.
(c) The local fast food restaurant.
(d) The public high school mostly attended by Mexicans.
2. Who does Candidó encounter as he is coming out of the park?
(b) The light-skinned Mexican.
3. What kind of car does Delaney drive?
4. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
(a) He is hit by a car and fakes his own death.
(b) He runs through traffic and goes back to Mexico.
(c) He was deported to Mexico.
(d) He was badly injured by the agents and featured in a story in the local newspaper.
5. Who flatters Delaney by praising his magazine column?
(a) Dominick Flood.
(b) Jack Jardine.
(c) Jack Cherrystone.
(d) Al Lopez.
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the objections residents have about building a security gate?
(a) The cost of building a gate.
(b) The impression the community may give to Mexicans.
(c) The risk of thieves entering homes through garage doors.
(d) The loss of living in an open community.
7. Why does Kyra become upset outside the restaurant when she goes to meet Delaney for lunch?
(a) Delaney does not hug her.
(b) A thunderstorm is coming.
(c) She is upset about her car.
(d) She sees a dog locked in a car.
8. How much does América make per hour?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) About four dollars.
(d) The employer is not clear about wages.
9. How long does América work on her first day?
(a) Three hours.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Eight hours.
10. What causes Candidó's first marriage to end?
(a) His wife was sleeping with someone else.
(b) He leaves her when he moves to the United States.
(c) He beats his wife mercilessly.
(d) His first wife died suddenly.
11. How does Candidó know his wife has been attacked?
(a) She has welts on her.
(b) She is bleeding profusely.
(c) She has frightening nightmares.
(d) She tells him.
12. Who does Candidó pray to when he hears people coming to his campsite?
(a) Virgin Sagrada.
(b) His dead mother.
(c) His dead wife.
(d) Jesus Christ.
13. Who gives América a cup of coffee?
(a) The light-skinned Mexican.
14. What does América request from her employer?
(a) Rent money.
(c) A drink of water.
(d) An advance on her salary.
15. How long does Candidó work for Al Lopez before he is replaced?
(a) One day.
(b) Candidó never worked for Al Lopez.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Delaney angry toward his neighbors?
2. What do América and Candidó fight about before she goes to the labor exchange?
3. Who makes up the rest of Delaney's household?
4. Where do Candidó and América store their savings?
5. How much money does the woman give to Candidó in the parking lot of the Chinese store?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)