|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Candidó think América resembles?
(a) The Statue of Liberty.
(b) Her older sister.
(c) A goddess.
(d) His mother.
2. Who does Delaney run into at the store while shopping for dinner?
(a) Jack Jardine.
(b) Al Lopez.
3. How long does América work on her first day?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Three hours.
4. Who blames most car thefts on Mexicans?
(a) Kenny Grissom.
(d) The light-skinned Mexican.
5. What does Kyra do about the Mexican laborers outside the 7-Eleven?
(b) Gets to know each one of them.
(c) Rallies support from the neighborhood to help them find places to live.
(d) Reported the men for their illegal status.
6. Who approaches América and tells her that she is looking for cleaning work?
(b) A white lady.
(c) Her long lost sister.
7. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
(a) He is hit by a car and fakes his own death.
(b) He was deported to Mexico.
(c) He runs through traffic and goes back to Mexico.
(d) He was badly injured by the agents and featured in a story in the local newspaper.
8. Where does Delaney go to get a new car?
(a) He doesn't get a car.
(b) A used car lot.
(d) The Acura dealership.
9. What injuries does the person Delaney hit with his car suffer?
(a) Bruising and a concussion.
(b) Scraped face and a bloody hand.
(c) The victim is blinded in both eyes.
(d) Broken leg and wrist.
10. What does Delaney do after lunch with Kyra?
(a) Considers leaving his family.
(b) Trades in his old car for a new one.
(c) Drives to the ocean for a hike.
(d) Writes a column.
11. How much does América make per hour?
(a) About four dollars.
(b) The employer is not clear about wages.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) One dollar.
12. Which of the following describes the appearance of the homes in Arroyo Blanco Estates?
(a) Multicolored with eclectic design.
(b) White with an orange roof.
(c) Rundown and empty.
(d) There are no homes in Arroyo Blanco Estates.
13. Where does Candidó look for América after her first day of work?
(a) In the river.
(b) In an Italian grocery store.
(c) At the library.
(d) At the coffee shop.
14. Of what does Delaney accuse Jack Jardine as they discuss the security gate?
(a) Being a racist.
(b) Being overly dramatic.
(c) Being too sensitive and compassionate.
(d) Being too dense.
15. What does Candidó swear he will do to the two men who attacked his wife?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Hire other men to assault them.
(c) Hold them at gunpoint and demand they give him money.
(d) Hug them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Osbert is what type of animal?
2. What does Delaney notice after his hike?
3. Who fixes Delaney's car?
4. Why does Kyra decide she will call INS on the Mexican men at the convenience store?
5. Which of the following best characterizes the conversation Delaney has with the person he encounters on the trail?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)