|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives América a cup of coffee?
(a) The light-skinned Mexican.
2. Who blames most car thefts on Mexicans?
(b) Kenny Grissom.
(d) The light-skinned Mexican.
3. Who fixes Delaney's car?
(c) Al Lopez.
(d) Kenny Grissom.
4. Which character has severe nightmares?
(b) Jack, Jr.
5. Dominick Flood reports that he will arrange to close what facility?
(a) The public high school mostly attended by Mexicans.
(b) The labor exchange.
(c) The local fast food restaurant.
(d) The local health department.
6. How many hours each day does Delaney devote to his work?
(a) Twelve to fifteen.
7. Why does Kyra become upset outside the restaurant when she goes to meet Delaney for lunch?
(a) She is upset about her car.
(b) She sees a dog locked in a car.
(c) A thunderstorm is coming.
(d) Delaney does not hug her.
8. What does Delaney see near the creek in the canyon?
(a) Dead coyotes.
(b) Old treehouses.
(d) Sleeping bags and magazines.
9. Who or what ends up killing one of the family's dogs?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A Mexican.
(c) The heat.
(d) The other family dog.
10. What is inside the bag the accident victim carries?
(b) A baby.
11. What is characteristic of the man Delaney sees in the parking lot?
(a) He is Mexican with blue eyes.
(b) He has red hair.
(c) He is dressed very nicely.
(d) He has sideburns.
12. With what does Candidó build their new shelter?
(a) Mud and water.
(b) Discarded debris.
(d) An old camping tent.
13. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
(a) He is hit by a car and fakes his own death.
(b) He runs through traffic and goes back to Mexico.
(c) He was badly injured by the agents and featured in a story in the local newspaper.
(d) He was deported to Mexico.
14. Who does Candidó encounter as he is coming out of the park?
(c) The light-skinned Mexican.
15. What does América bring to Candidó when she returns home?
(a) A new dog.
(b) Rotten fruits and vegetables.
(c) A wad of cash.
(d) Good news.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Candidó decide to look for work after the labor exchange has been torn down?
2. Where does Delaney go after he hits the person with his car?
3. How does Kyra recognize Candidó?
4. What do América and Candidó fight about before she goes to the labor exchange?
5. What does Candidó do to protect his family from the attackers?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)