|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candidó buy for himself with some of his earnings?
(a) Takeout from a Mexican restaurant.
(b) A used car.
(c) A baseball cap.
(d) A bottle of wine.
2. Which character says he thinks building a gate is necessary?
(a) Jack Cherrystone.
(b) Jack Jardine, Sr.
(d) Jack Jardine, Jr.
3. How does Kyra recognize Candidó?
(a) He carries a baby.
(b) He has a limp and a bruised face.
(c) He speaks perfect English.
(d) He has light skin.
4. Where does Candidó decide to look for work after the labor exchange has been torn down?
(a) Canoga Park.
(b) The grocery store.
(c) Kyra's neighborhood.
5. Who chooses Candidó for work?
(a) No one.
(c) Jack Jardine.
(d) América's father.
6. Who does Delaney see on the trail?
(a) His real estate agent.
(b) The light-skinned Mexican.
(d) His dog.
7. Who makes up the rest of Delaney's household?
(a) Kyra and Jordan.
(b) Kyra and Kit.
(c) Jack and Doris.
(d) Al and Kit.
8. Who presides over the meeting at the Arroyo Blanco Community Center?
(c) Jack Cherrystone.
(d) Jack Jardine.
9. How many hours each day does Delaney devote to his work?
(d) Twelve to fifteen.
10. Where does América go to seek work?
(a) The labor exchange.
(b) A Mexican restaurant.
(c) A real estate office.
(d) A daycare.
11. Whose death does the accident victim hallucinate about?
(a) His unborn child's.
(b) His own.
(d) His mother's.
12. How much does América make per hour?
(a) The employer is not clear about wages.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) About four dollars.
13. What do América and Candidó fight about before she goes to the labor exchange?
(a) América's pregnancy.
(b) Candidó's drinking problem.
(c) Candidó does not want her looking for a job.
(d) América's ability to speak English.
14. What time of day does the labor exchange close?
(d) Five o'clock.
15. Who appears oddly interested in the person Delaney hit with his car?
(c) Al Lopez.
(d) Jack, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candidó consider stealing out of a car when he becomes angry?
2. Why does Kyra decide she will call INS on the Mexican men at the convenience store?
3. How long does Candidó work for Al Lopez before he is replaced?
4. Why does Kyra become upset outside the restaurant when she goes to meet Delaney for lunch?
5. What is the subject of one of Delaney's columns?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)