|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is characteristic of the man Delaney sees in the parking lot?
(a) He is Mexican with blue eyes.
(b) He has red hair.
(c) He has sideburns.
(d) He is dressed very nicely.
2. How much money does the woman give to Candidó in the parking lot of the Chinese store?
(a) Sixty cents.
(b) A check for five hundred dollars.
(c) She doesn't give him anything.
(d) Fifty dollars.
3. Who eventually hires América for housecleaning work?
(a) Jack Cherrystone.
(b) A fat man with a big car.
(d) Jack Jardine.
4. Where does Candidó decide to look for work after the labor exchange has been torn down?
(b) The grocery store.
(c) Kyra's neighborhood.
(d) Canoga Park.
5. How much does the man with a ponytail charge Candidó for staying in a room for two nights?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty cents.
(d) Twenty dollars.
6. Why is Kyra dissatisfied with her appearance?
(a) She thinks her hair is too dull.
(b) She thinks her eyes are too small.
(c) She thinks her feet are too big.
(d) She thinks her nose is too red.
7. What does Delaney see near the creek in the canyon?
(a) Sleeping bags and magazines.
(b) Dead coyotes.
(c) Old treehouses.
8. Who gives América a cup of coffee?
(a) The light-skinned Mexican.
9. Who or what ends up killing one of the family's dogs?
(a) The heat.
(b) A Mexican.
(c) The other family dog.
(d) A coyote.
10. What is Delaney hiding in his pocket during the community gathering?
(a) The phone number for a Mexican.
(b) A pistol.
(c) His dog's foreleg.
(d) A clump of hair.
11. What does Delaney give to the person he hits?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Tortillas and eggs.
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the objections residents have about building a security gate?
(a) The cost of building a gate.
(b) The risk of thieves entering homes through garage doors.
(c) The impression the community may give to Mexicans.
(d) The loss of living in an open community.
13. Why does Kyra become upset outside the restaurant when she goes to meet Delaney for lunch?
(a) She sees a dog locked in a car.
(b) She is upset about her car.
(c) A thunderstorm is coming.
(d) Delaney does not hug her.
14. What is Kyra's profession?
15. What does Delaney do after lunch with Kyra?
(a) Drives to the ocean for a hike.
(b) Trades in his old car for a new one.
(c) Writes a column.
(d) Considers leaving his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Candidó buy for his wife with his earnings?
2. Which of the following would Kyra like to live in someday?
3. What does Delaney notice after his hike?
4. What happens to Candidó when he is captured by INS agents?
5. What parts of the car are damaged?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)