|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Airwalk shoes company based?
2. What is the name of the editor of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood?
3. When was the new hybrid corn seed introduced to Green County, Iowa, according to the author in Chapter 6?
4. Who conducted an analysis of the spread of hybrid seed corn in Green County, Iowa, according to the author in Chapter 6?
5. Gladwell mentions two methods to reduce teen smoking in Chapter 7. The first is to prevent whom from smoking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do innovators and early adapters represent to the author? What is the early majority?
2. What was “fare beating” and why was it not prosecuted before the New York City Subway system got a new director?
3. What company does the author describe in the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How did crime in New York change in the decade after the Bernie Goetz case? Why do most people believe this change happened?
5. How does the author describe the success of Minister John Wesley in Chapter 5?
6. What, according to the author, gives teens “psychological permission” to smoke?
7. According to the author, a teenager who begins smoking will not develop an addiction threshold for up to three years. Given this, how does Gladwell propose prevention of regular smokers?
8. How does the author describe New York City crime when Bernie Goetz’s case took place?
9. What example does the author present from Micronesia in the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. What example does the author give from The Psychology of Rumor in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the advertising campaigns of Winston cigarettes and Winston’s competing brands, including Camel, Marlboro, etc. How do the ads differ? Why did the Winston ads appeal to smokers more than Camel or Marlboro ads? What made the ads “stick”?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Baltimore’s syphilis epidemic in the 1990s. Where did the author obtain his information regarding the epidemic? What statistics are recorded regarding the outbreak? How do the author’s three rules of epidemics apply to the Baltimore epidemic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the success of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and the author’s attribution of that success to the power of small groups. How do small groups serve to influence the larger population? How does Rebecca Wells’s novel lend itself to book clubs?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)