|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advertising agency did the Airwalk company hire to rethink their marketing campaign in the 1990s?
2. The young men who attempted to mug Bernie Goetz were from where?
3. Teenage girls in Los Angeles were noticed dressing like Mexican gangsters in what was referred to as what look?
4. Throughout history, armies organized in groups of less than what number, according to the author in Chapter 5?
5. Some experts have suggested that poor modeling at home influences children to smoke. However, what children do not follow this pattern, according to the author in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example does the author present from Micronesia in the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What have researchers discovered regarding news coverage on suicide?
3. How does the author describe the importance of groups in Chapter 5?
4. Who did Airwalk employ as a connector, according to the author in Chapter 6? Why?
5. What has been the failure of many anti-smoking campaigns, according to the author? Why?
6. What, according to the author, gives teens “psychological permission” to smoke?
7. According to the author, a teenager who begins smoking will not develop an addiction threshold for up to three years. Given this, how does Gladwell propose prevention of regular smokers?
8. What are the roles of connectors, mavens and salesmen, according to the author in Chapter 6?
9. Who took over as director of the New York City Subway during the 1980s? What was first on his agenda?
10. How does the author describe the success of book clubs in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and work of Mark Alpert and analyze Alpert’s role in epidemic trends. How does the author describe Alpert’s personality? How does this differ from a connector?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Howard Levanthal and the study conducted at Yale University. When did the study take place? How were the results perceived? What does the author perceive the results to indicate? What contemporary examples reflect Levanthal’s results?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the success of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and the author’s attribution of that success to the power of small groups. How do small groups serve to influence the larger population? How does Rebecca Wells’s novel lend itself to book clubs?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)