|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a student tell Jim, Becky, and Adelaide while they eat in Chapter 16?
2. According to Adelaide, what will she do in Andersbad in Chapter 18?
3. What does Godel demand to know about from Count Thalgau in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Jim arrive at the house near the statue with roses in Chapter 13?
5. What does Jim find in the cave in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Godel and Leopold when the German commander arrives in Chapter 18?
2. What plans does the Count have for Jim and Godel in Chapter 9?
3. What do the Germans want from Godel in Chapter 17?
4. How do Jim and the students find Fraulein Gonzalez's home and how does she react to seeing Jim?
5. What does Jim do while in his cell in Chapters 15 and 16?
6. What do Becky and Adelaide do while in their cell in Chapters 15 and 16?
7. Whom does the Count suspect of shooting the King in Chapter 9? Does Jim agree?
8. What orders does Godel give in Chapter 17?
9. Why is the Countess upset in Chapter 15?
10. What changes does Adelaide make to the Royal Household in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Jim. Who is Jim and what is his role in the story? How does he know Adelaide? Why does he help the Prince?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Royal Family. Who are the members of the Royal Family? What fates do they meet and why? What dangers are faced by the Royal Family? How does Adelaide, an ex-prostitute, become a member of the Royal Family? What does the public think of her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the main characters? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)