|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom was Adelaide a servant to before her marriage?
(a) Mrs. Holland.
(b) Mrs. Hansen.
(c) Mrs. Humphrey.
(d) Mrs. Hanover.
2. Where is the socialist club that J. Taylor goes to in Chapter 3?
(a) Hyde Park.
3. In Chapter 7, what is the man who arrives at Alois Egger's apartment carrying?
(a) A pile of pamplets.
(b) A long leather box.
(c) A small jewelry box.
(d) A gun.
4. Why did Becky and her family leave central Europe when she was young?
(a) Her father was transferred.
(b) They were exiled.
(c) She had family living in England.
(d) They were escaping war.
5. What does the actress do that is suspicious in Chapter 4?
(a) She hides when anyone enters her room.
(b) She stares coldly at a portrait.
(c) She throws a bouquet of roses in the trash.
(d) She wipes a knife clean.
6. What do Jim and the Captain of the Hussars do in Chapter 8?
(b) Gather a small army.
(c) Eat a hearty meal.
(d) Move the barge to the other shore.
7. What is the name of the house where J. Taylor takes Becky in Chapter 2?
(a) Harvest House.
(b) Valley House.
(c) Orchard House.
(d) River House.
8. Who is Julius?
(a) Adelaide's brother.
(b) Jim's righthand man.
(c) Bleichroder's secretary.
(d) The actresses' boyfriend.
9. Becky lives with ____________.
(a) Her mother and grandmother.
(b) Her brother and parents.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her two sisters.
10. What do the Richterbund students report to Jim about Glatz in Chapter 7?
(a) He plans to disrupt the public visits of the Queen.
(b) He is leading the revolt against the royal family.
(c) He used to live in Germany and work for the head of commandment there.
(d) He is increasing his contact with foreign military men.
11. Who escorts Becky home after the bomb explodes in Chapter 2?
(a) J. Taylor.
(b) No one.
(c) Her new boss.
(d) Her new student.
12. What does Adelaide refuse in Chapter 7?
(a) To leave the country.
(b) A change of staff.
(c) Her new translator.
(d) A banquet in her honor.
13. Where is the house where J. Taylor takes Becky in Chapter 2?
14. How does the Prince introduce Jim to the Ambassador?
(a) As his long-lost cousin.
(b) As his advisor.
(c) As his old friend.
(d) As his private bodyguard.
15. How old was Becky when she left central Europe?
(a) Nine years old.
(b) Fourteen years old.
(c) One year old.
(d) Three years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to America the following day at the end of Chapter 2?
2. Why does the Ambassador want the Prince's marriage dissolved?
3. What does Rudolf pass to Adelaide after he is shot during the coronation march?
4. How does Jim get to the crowded streets quickly in Chapter 8?
5. Why must the Prince return to Razkavia in Chapter 3?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)