|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Skinny give to Alberto after they perform the house robbery in Part Two, Chapter 3, while promising him more tomorrow?
2. What does the narrator of Part Two, Chapter 3 say they’ve changed the dog’s name to that lives at the Academy?
3. Who does the narrator of Part Two, Chapter 3 say is always talking about the Poet and is perhaps envious of him?
4. Who is the art and music teacher that Alberto describes in Part Two, Chapter 1?
5. When Alberto goes a second time to see his godfather in Part Two, Chapter 2, the godfather’s daughter tells Alberto that her father will be gone in the mountains for how many days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Lt. Gamboa take in following up on Alberto’s claims in Part Two, Chapter 5?
2. What causes the Poet to begin to doubt himself and his allegations in Part Two?
3. What encounter takes place between Alberto and Teresa in Part Two, Chapter 3?
4. What does the character of the Boa represent symbolically in The Time of the Hero?
5. Why does the colonel meet with the officers in Part Two, Chapter 2? What decision is reached?
6. What does the Colonel use in order to blackmail the Poet in Part Two, Chapter 6?
7. What epiphany does the Jaguar come to in Part Two, Chapter 8?
8. What is the outcome for Lt. Gamboa in the Epilogue of the novel? Where is he going?
9. Who is the second narrator of Part Two, Chapter 1? What does this character relate in the chapter?
10. How does Lt. Gamboa respond to the Jaguar’s confession in the Epilogue of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of The Time of the Hero. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. Discuss the linear and nonlinear elements of the narrative. Why does the author employ a nonlinear structure?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the different social and economic classes seen in the novel. How is social and economic class depicted through the different main characters? How does class play a role at the academy?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Mr. Arana in The Time of the Hero. How does Mr. Arana feel about his son Ricardo? What is his relationship to Ricardo’s mother? How does Mr. Arana express his feelings for his son?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)