|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Valdivieso’s nickname in the Circle?
2. Who is described in Part Two, Chapter 4 as “a very young lieutenant, in charge of a company in the Third”?
3. What does the cop whip Alberto with after Alberto’s fight on the beach in Part Two, Chapter 5?
4. What does Alberto buy as a gift for Teresa after he’s done the robbery with Skinny in Part Two, Chapter 3?
5. At what time is the funeral of the cadet set to take place in Part Two, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the death of the Slave affected the Poet and the Jaguar in Part Two, Chapter 5?
2. Who is the second narrator of Part Two, Chapter 1? What does this character relate in the chapter?
3. How would you describe the Boa’s relationship to the Jaguar in the novel?
4. Where is Alberto sent after meeting with the Colonel in Part Two? Who does he encounter here?
5. What is Alberto’s theory regarding the death of the Slave in Part Two, Chapter 4?
6. How is the Slave injured in the novel? What is the status of his injuries in the opening of Part Two?
7. What does the Colonel use in order to blackmail the Poet in Part Two, Chapter 6?
8. What confession does Alberto make in Part Two, Chapter 3? To whom does he make this confession?
9. How is the theme of masculinity explored in Part Two, Chapter 5?
10. What does the character of Ricardo Arana represent symbolically in The Time of the Hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Mr. Arana in The Time of the Hero. How does Mr. Arana feel about his son Ricardo? What is his relationship to Ricardo’s mother? How does Mr. Arana express his feelings for his son?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of alienation in The Time of the Hero. How is this theme illustrated through symbolism and imagery in the narrative? What characters relate to the theme of alienation the most? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the Leoncio Prado Military Academy. When did author Mario Vargas Llosa attend the academy? How did the academy respond to its facilities being used as the setting for The Time of the Hero? How accurate is Vargas Llosa’s depiction of the academy said to be?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)