|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lt. Gamboa order to take the Jaguar’s place in the attack formation in Part Two, Chapter 5?
2. After Alberto’s fight on the beach and his trouble with the police in Part Two, Chapter 5, he doesn’t return home but goes to live with whom?
3. What animals does Lt. Gamboa say he’ll be seeing plenty of in his new assignment in the Epilogue?
4. Who responds to the Colonel that he is to be Officer of the Day tomorrow during the funeral in Part Two, Chapter 2?
5. Whose “songlike voice” does Alberto distinguish among the cadets shouting “Squealer!” at the Jaguar in Part Two, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Skinny and Alberto go in order to perform their first robbery together in Part Two, Chapter 3? What are Alberto’s instructions?
2. How has the death of the Slave affected the Poet and the Jaguar in Part Two, Chapter 5?
3. Who is the narrator in the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 2? What does this narrator describe?
4. How is the Slave injured in the novel? What is the status of his injuries in the opening of Part Two?
5. How does Alberto effectively get out of school early in Part Two, Chapter 1? On what days does he leave the campus?
6. How does the meeting between the Colonel and the Poet end in Part Two, Chapter 6?
7. How does Lt. Gamboa respond to the Jaguar’s confession in the Epilogue of the novel?
8. Why does the colonel meet with the officers in Part Two, Chapter 2? What decision is reached?
9. What confession does Alberto make in Part Two, Chapter 3? To whom does he make this confession?
10. How does the Jaguar respond when Alberto attempts to make peace with him in Part Two, Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Lt. Huarina in The Time of the Hero. What is Lt. Huarina’s authority level and rank at the academy? How is he perceived by his peers, subordinates, and superiors?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Helena in the novel. How does Helena relate to the other female characters and idolizations that have been presented? Is Helena more like Golden Toes, or more like Teresa? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of friendship in The Time of the Hero. Which characters in the story relate to this theme the greatest in Part One? How is friendship defined by the different cadets in the story? How do the friendships in the narrative evolve?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)