|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sleeps in the upper bunk in Cava’s room in Part One, Chapter 1?
2. The narrator says of Lt. Gamboa in Part One, Chapter 8, that he “loved the military life for exactly the same reasons that the others hated it.” What reasons are these?
3. By what name do the elder-classmen of the academy refer to the under-classmen?
4. The narrator says in Part One, Chapter 8 that who invented some new illness every two weeks for his wife in order to get a pass?
5. According to the narrator in Part One, Chapter 6, the Jaguar invented the breath-holding trick, which would lead the attendant to admit one to the infirmary with symptoms of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrative style of The Time of the Hero relate to the plot of the novel?
2. How is the character of Alberto described in Part One, Chapter 1? What is Alberto’s nickname within the Circle?
3. How are the Slave and the Poet similar in their metaphorical roles in the novel?
4. How is “manhood” defined in the world of the novel? How does this definition relate to the teachings at the Academy?
5. How is the character of Lt. Gamboa depicted in the novel? What does Gamboa represent metaphorically in the story?
6. What action does the Jaguar set out to accomplish after Cava’s punishment has been revealed in Part One, Chapter 7?
7. How is the character of Vallano described in the narrative? What is his nickname within the group?
8. What are two depictions of women and female sexuality illustrated in The Time of the Hero?
9. How does Vallano fit into the hierarchy of the Fifth Years at the Academy?
10. What role does Teresa play in the progression of the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the Jaguar in the novel. How did the Jaguar come to lead the Circle? How is the Jaguar perceived by the other cadets? What is significant about the Jaguar’s name in comparison to the other cadets in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Lt. Huarina in The Time of the Hero. What is Lt. Huarina’s authority level and rank at the academy? How is he perceived by his peers, subordinates, and superiors?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Golden Toes and Teresa in the narrative. How do the cadets communicate when they discuss Golden Toes? What stories do they relate? How is their reverence different with Teresa?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)