|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say reprimands Lt. Huarina in public at the Academy in Part One, Chapter 6?
2. What is Alberto’s last name in the novel?
3. What color are the flannel pajamas that Cava wears in Part One, Chapter 1?
4. Who exits the meeting with the Boa in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 1?
5. On what day of the week does the narrator’s neighbor go with her aunt to Lima in Part One, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads the Slave to his decision in Part One, Chapter 5? What decision does he reach?
2. What role does Teresa play in the progression of the narrative?
3. To whom does the Slave go to speak in Part One, Chapter 6? Why?
4. How is the character of Flaco Higueras described? What is his role in the novel?
5. Describe the scene that opens Part One, Chapter 1 of the novel. Where are the main characters located, and what are they doing?
6. What are two depictions of women and female sexuality illustrated in The Time of the Hero?
7. How is the character of Arrospide described? What is his role in the narrative?
8. How is the character of Vallano described in the narrative? What is his nickname within the group?
9. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
10. What contribution does Vallano make to the culture of the Fifth Years in Part One, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the hierarchy of ranks within the Leoncio Prado Military Academy. What are the “official” ranks that are depicted in the novel? What “unofficial” ranks exist within the different groups of cadets at the school? What are the lower classmen referred to as? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Define “narrative point of view,” and discuss the narrative style of the novel. How many different narrative perspectives are employed by the author? Why does the author choose to employ different narrative perspectives? Who are the various narrators?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of friendship in The Time of the Hero. Which characters in the story relate to this theme the greatest in Part One? How is friendship defined by the different cadets in the story? How do the friendships in the narrative evolve?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)