|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say “had come to watch the lessons, and spent the whole time cracking jokes, making insinuations, mentioning Helena’s name” in Part One, Chapter 7?
2. The narrator says in Part One, Chapter 7, “I don’t believe in the devil but sometimes” who makes him wonder?
3. Vallano asks Alberto if he attended what academy in Part One, Chapter 6?
4. Who does Ricardo Arana recall taking his cigarettes and money and once having urinated on him while he slept in Part One, Chapter 6?
5. On Saturdays, how long do the Fifth Year cadets have “to wash, dress, make their bunks, and fall in” after the bugle call, according to the narrator in Part One, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that opens Part One, Chapter 1 of the novel. Where are the main characters located, and what are they doing?
2. How does the narrative style of The Time of the Hero relate to the plot of the novel?
3. What contribution does Vallano make to the culture of the Fifth Years in Part One, Chapter 6?
4. How does Vallano fit into the hierarchy of the Fifth Years at the Academy?
5. What role does Teresa play in the progression of the narrative?
6. How would you describe the linear/nonlinear style of the narrative in The Time of the Hero?
7. How is the character of Flaco Higueras described? What is his role in the novel?
8. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
9. How is the character of Cava described by the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 1?
10. What are two depictions of women and female sexuality illustrated in The Time of the Hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of “the Slave,” or Ricardo Arana, in the novel. How did the Slave earn his nickname? What relationship is illustrated between the Slave and the Poet in the first two chapters? What does the Slave symbolize in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship in The Time of the Hero
a. How is friendship defined for the characters in the story? What relationship does friendship have to the concepts of rank and duty?
b. What characters embody the theme of friendship the most in the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Paulino and the setting of “La Perlita.” What does this name mean in Spanish? What is Paulino’s relationship to the cadets? How is he perceived by them? How does Paulino serve to further the plot of the story?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)