|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say most of the cadets were in the Academy in Part One, Chapter 8?
2. On what day of the week does the narrator’s neighbor go with her aunt to Lima in Part One, Chapter 3?
3. Who are “the three victims in the first section” that were late falling into line in Part One, Chapter 2?
4. The narrator notes in Part One, Chapter 2 of the Fifth Year cadets that they know there are how many minutes between the bugle player’s call and the whistle that calls them to fall in line?
5. How many points does Alberto say he needs for the exam in Part One, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does the Slave go to speak in Part One, Chapter 6? Why?
2. What are two depictions of women and female sexuality illustrated in The Time of the Hero?
3. What act of betrayal has the Poet committed in Part One, Chapter 5?
4. How is the theme of secrecy elicited symbolically in Part One, Chapter 3?
5. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
6. What action does the Jaguar set out to accomplish after Cava’s punishment has been revealed in Part One, Chapter 7?
7. How does Lt. Huarina utilize the information given to him by the Slave in Part One?
8. What is the task that Cava is enlisted to perform in Part One, Chapter 1?
9. How do the Slave and the Poet differ in their relationship to manhood in the novel?
10. What contribution does Vallano make to the culture of the Fifth Years in Part One, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Mr. Arana in The Time of the Hero. How does Mr. Arana feel about his son Ricardo? What is his relationship to Ricardo’s mother? How does Mr. Arana express his feelings for his son?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Jaguar in the novel. How did the Jaguar come to lead the Circle? How is the Jaguar perceived by the other cadets? What is significant about the Jaguar’s name in comparison to the other cadets in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Skinny Higueras in the novel. How old is Skinny? How does Alberto feel about him? What role does Skinny assume in Alberto’s life? Why do you think he does this?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)