|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes running into the barracks shouting at the cadets to be quiet and stop as they verbally assault the Jaguar in Part Two, Chapter 8?
2. Of what cadet does the narrator of Part Two, Chapter 3 say he “never talks any more. It’s over four days since his buddy’s funeral, he could’ve got over it by now, but he’s even worse”?
(c) The Boa
3. When Alberto goes to the dark, dirty bar to look for Skinny, Skinny defends Alberto against a drunk by telling him that Alberto is his what in Part Two, Chapter 2?
4. Valdivieso says he believes who made up the nickname that Valdivieso is called in Part Two, Chapter 1?
5. What did Lt. Gamboa tell the Jaguar to take with him to the guardhouse when he approached him in the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 4?
(a) His pillow, a towel, his books, and his uniform
(b) His uniform, his books, and his training gear
(c) Pajamas, a toothbrush, a towel, and a bar of soap
(d) His telephone, his watch, and his electronics
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of Part Two, Chapter 3 say they’ve changed the dog’s name to that lives at the Academy?
2. Who is sitting at his desk “hunched over like a porcupine” when Lt. Gamboa enters the barracks of the Fifth Year in the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 7?
3. When the Jaguar is ordered by Lt. Gamboa to go to the guardhouse in Part Two, Chapter 4, he tells Curly, “If this is about the exam, a lot of people are going to” what?
4. The narrator in Part Two, Chapter 3 describes the Poet as having been flattened by whom in a fight?
5. Who tells the narrator in Part Two, Chapter 5 after the Fifth has been ordered to open their lockers for inspection, “Keep hold of yourself; this is the end of the world”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are revealed to be the Jaguar’s objectives in Part Two of the novel? Why are his objectives not met?
2. How has the death of the Slave affected the Poet and the Jaguar in Part Two, Chapter 5?
3. What does the Colonel use in order to blackmail the Poet in Part Two, Chapter 6?
4. Where is Alberto sent after meeting with the Colonel in Part Two? Who does he encounter here?
5. What confession does Alberto make in Part Two, Chapter 3? To whom does he make this confession?
6. What action does Lt. Gamboa take in following up on Alberto’s claims in Part Two, Chapter 5?
7. Where do Skinny and Alberto go in order to perform their first robbery together in Part Two, Chapter 3? What are Alberto’s instructions?
8. How does Lt. Gamboa respond to the Jaguar’s confession in the Epilogue of the novel?
9. Who is the narrator in the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 2? What does this narrator describe?
10. How would you describe the Boa’s relationship to the Jaguar in the novel?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)