|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator of Part Two, Chapter 4 believe is double-crossing him in the beginning of the chapter?
2. The narrator of Part Two, Chapter 2 says that his godfather “lived a long way off, out by” what?
(a) The bridge
(b) The well
(c) The cemetery
(d) The church
3. Ricardo’s father tells Alberto that they’ve operated on his son how many times when they meet in the halls of the infirmary in Part Two, Chapter 1?
4. Where is Lt. Gamboa’s “solitary house” located, according to the narrator of Part Two, Chapter 8?
5. As Alberto contemplates his fate in the guardhouse, he thinks that he will run away with Teresa where in Part Two, Chapter 4?
(a) To New York
(b) To Paris
(c) To Montreal
(d) To Lima
Short Answer Questions
1. After Alberto’s fight on the beach and his trouble with the police in Part Two, Chapter 5, he doesn’t return home but goes to live with whom?
2. What does Alberto buy as a gift for Teresa after he’s done the robbery with Skinny in Part Two, Chapter 3?
3. Who tells the narrator in Part Two, Chapter 5 after the Fifth has been ordered to open their lockers for inspection, “Keep hold of yourself; this is the end of the world”?
4. How many doctors does the colonel say determined that the bullet that killed the Slave was from his own rifle in Part Two, Chapter 6?
5. After his meeting with the colonel, Alberto returns to the guardhouse and is put in the same cell with whom in Part Two, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alberto effectively get out of school early in Part Two, Chapter 1? On what days does he leave the campus?
2. How has the death of the Slave affected the Poet and the Jaguar in Part Two, Chapter 5?
3. Who is the narrator in the beginning of Part Two, Chapter 1? What does this narrator describe?
4. How does the theme of secrecy relate to the character of Skinny Higueras?
5. What vow does the Jaguar make in Part Two, Chapter 4? Who witnesses this vow?
6. What does the character of the Boa represent symbolically in The Time of the Hero?
7. How does the meeting between the Colonel and the Poet end in Part Two, Chapter 6?
8. What is Alberto’s theory regarding the death of the Slave in Part Two, Chapter 4?
9. What are revealed to be the Jaguar’s objectives in Part Two of the novel? Why are his objectives not met?
10. How would you describe the Boa’s relationship to the Jaguar in the novel?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)