|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator describes Alberto as getting off the bus at what stop in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 4?
2. What color are the flannel pajamas that Cava wears in Part One, Chapter 1?
3. How long ago does the narrator say Cava came to Lima to finish school in Part One, Chapter 1?
(a) 4 and ½ years ago
(b) 1 and ½ years ago
(c) 2 and ½ years ago
(d) 3 and ½ years ago
4. What is the name of Pluto’s cousin that “had become the girlfriend of a boy from San Isidro,” according to the narrator of Part One, Chapter 7?
5. Who does the narrator say essentially ran things in the Circle during their Fifth Year in Part One, Chapter 3?
(b) The Jaguar
(c) The Poet
(d) The Boa
Short Answer Questions
1. Teresa’s aunt says that Teresa is almost what age in Part One, Chapter 4?
2. The Slave tells Alberto that who is on duty today in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 2?
3. The narrator describes a fight breaking out at the movie theater because what character refused to get rid of the bricks he was sitting on in Part One, Chapter 3?
4. At what time does the Boa say he has to go on guard in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 1?
5. Whose image does Alberto try to remember as he unbuttons his pants at the hideout in Part One, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the exam’s theft is discovered in Part One? How do the cadets react?
2. How is the character of Lt. Gamboa depicted in the novel? What does Gamboa represent metaphorically in the story?
3. How do the Slave and the Poet differ in their relationship to manhood in the novel?
4. How is the character of Alberto described in Part One, Chapter 1? What is Alberto’s nickname within the Circle?
5. What symbolism can be seen in the Boa’s nickname in the novel?
6. How is the Slave’s situation described in Part One, Chapter 5? How does the confinement affect him?
7. What action does the Jaguar set out to accomplish after Cava’s punishment has been revealed in Part One, Chapter 7?
8. How would you describe the linear/nonlinear style of the narrative in The Time of the Hero?
9. What leads the Slave to his decision in Part One, Chapter 5? What decision does he reach?
10. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)