|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Tere’s aunt and uncle live in Part One, Chapter 5?
(a) On Sáenz Peña Avenue
(b) On Francisco Pizarro Avenue
(c) On Progreso Avenue
(d) On Arica Avenue
2. Who does the narrator say essentially ran things in the Circle during their Fifth Year in Part One, Chapter 3?
(a) The Poet
(b) The Jaguar
(d) The Boa
3. What does Lt. Gamboa say he always does when he is Officer of the Guard to pass the time in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) He watches television
(b) He daydreams
(c) He studies
(d) He plays solitaire
4. In what country is The Time of the Hero set?
5. According to the narrator in Part One, Chapter 2, “this Saturday was an exception. The field exercises had been canceled because the Fifth was scheduled to take” what exam?
(a) The calculus exam
(b) The chemistry exam
(c) The history exam
(d) The Latin exam
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in Part One, Chapter 6, the Jaguar invented the breath-holding trick, which would lead the attendant to admit one to the infirmary with symptoms of what?
2. What character is described in Part One, Chapter 2 as “an excellent soccer player and his kick had tremendous force”?
3. Who does Lt. Gamboa call from the guardhouse when he goes there in the morning in Part One, Chapter 8?
4. How many hours will Ricardo have outside the Academy on his pass after he’s revealed the person responsible for the chemistry exam theft in Part One, Chapter 6?
5. The three cadets that were last to fall in line are given a choice by Lt. Gamboa for six points or what, in Part One, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrative style of The Time of the Hero relate to the plot of the novel?
2. How has the Slave’s death been foreshadowed in Part One?
3. What contribution does Vallano make to the culture of the Fifth Years in Part One, Chapter 6?
4. How does Vallano fit into the hierarchy of the Fifth Years at the Academy?
5. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
6. What action does the Jaguar set out to accomplish after Cava’s punishment has been revealed in Part One, Chapter 7?
7. How do the Slave and the Poet differ in their relationship to manhood in the novel?
8. How does the Boa relate to the theme of racism in The Time of the Hero?
9. What symbolism can be seen in the Boa’s nickname in the novel?
10. How does the character of Lt. Huarina compare with the other officers in the novel?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)