|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Teresa’s school uniform described in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) A pink skirt and a white blouse
(b) A blue skirt and a white blouse
(c) A yellow skirt and a white blouse
(d) A red skirt and a blue blouse
2. How many rooms does Teresa’s house have besides the kitchen, according to the narrator of Part One, Chapter 4?
3. Who does the narrator say “drank in secret while he was Officer of the Guard” in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) Lt. Huarina
(b) Lt. Pitaluga
(c) Lt. Gamboa
(d) Lt. Martinez
4. What is the name of the hideout where the cadets buy pisco and cigarettes from Paulino in Part One, Chapter 5?
(a) Los Perros
(b) La Perlita
(c) La Cuidad
(d) La Brama
5. Paulino says in Part One, Chapter 5, “These two’ve been together every minute for a whole week,” when referring to Alberto and whom?
(a) The Poet
(b) The Slave
(c) The Jaguar
(d) The Boa
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes a fight breaking out at the movie theater because what character refused to get rid of the bricks he was sitting on in Part One, Chapter 3?
2. How much does Paulino charge for a slug of pisco at the hideout in Part One, Chapter 5?
3. What character is described in Part One, Chapter 2 as “an excellent soccer player and his kick had tremendous force”?
4. Vallano asks Alberto if he attended what academy in Part One, Chapter 6?
5. What book does Vallano decide to “rent out” to the other cadets in Part One, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Alberto described in Part One, Chapter 1? What is Alberto’s nickname within the Circle?
2. How does the Boa relate to the theme of racism in The Time of the Hero?
3. What action does the Jaguar set out to accomplish after Cava’s punishment has been revealed in Part One, Chapter 7?
4. How has the Slave’s death been foreshadowed in Part One?
5. What contribution does Vallano make to the culture of the Fifth Years in Part One, Chapter 6?
6. What leads the Slave to his decision in Part One, Chapter 5? What decision does he reach?
7. How is the Slave’s situation described in Part One, Chapter 5? How does the confinement affect him?
8. What are two depictions of women and female sexuality illustrated in The Time of the Hero?
9. What role does Teresa play in the progression of the narrative?
10. How is “manhood” defined in the world of the novel? How does this definition relate to the teachings at the Academy?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)