|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator suggest that he and his mother go back to in Part One, Chapter 5?
2. The narrator in Part One, Chapter 5 says, “The cadets admired the chaplain because they considered him” what?
(a) A faithful man
(b) A Godly man
(c) A religious man
(d) An honest man
3. What is the name of Pluto’s cousin that “had become the girlfriend of a boy from San Isidro,” according to the narrator of Part One, Chapter 7?
4. At what bakery does the narrator say Tere goes to buy bread from on weekdays in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) Babe’s Bakery
(b) Emilio’s Bakery
(c) Nunez’s Bakery
(d) Tilau’s Bakery
5. What book does Vallano decide to “rent out” to the other cadets in Part One, Chapter 6?
(a) Don Quixote
(b) Eleodora’s Pleasures
(d) To Have and Have Not
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ricardo Arana recall taking his cigarettes and money and once having urinated on him while he slept in Part One, Chapter 6?
2. Vallano asks Alberto if he attended what academy in Part One, Chapter 6?
3. The narrator says in Part One, Chapter 8 that who invented some new illness every two weeks for his wife in order to get a pass?
4. Who does Alberto say snuck off the Academy property over the wall on Monday and came back at four in the morning in Part One, Chapter 6?
5. How many points does Alberto say he needs for the exam in Part One, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the exam’s theft is discovered in Part One? How do the cadets react?
2. What symbolism can be seen in the Boa’s nickname in the novel?
3. What is the task that Cava is enlisted to perform in Part One, Chapter 1?
4. How is the character of Arrospide described? What is his role in the narrative?
5. What is the Poet’s objective in relation to the Slave in Part One of the novel?
6. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
7. How are the Slave and the Poet similar in their metaphorical roles in the novel?
8. How is “manhood” defined in the world of the novel? How does this definition relate to the teachings at the Academy?
9. How does Lt. Huarina utilize the information given to him by the Slave in Part One?
10. How do the Slave and the Poet differ in their relationship to manhood in the novel?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)