|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator of Part One, Chapter 3 opens the chapter saying “I was in Sáenz Peña and when I left I was going back to” where on foot?
2. Why does the narrator say most of the cadets were in the Academy in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) Because their families were in great need for money
(b) Because they were facing imprisonment or reform school
(c) Because their families wanted to get rid of them for a while
(d) Because they had homosexual tendencies
3. Who is giving Alberto a dance lesson in Part One, Chapter 7?
4. The Slave tells Alberto that who is on duty today in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 2?
(a) Lt. Ferrero
(b) Lt. Gamboa
(c) Lt. Fernandez
(d) Lt. Huarina
5. By what nickname is Ricardo Arana known in the Circle?
(a) The Jaguar
(b) The Slave
(c) The Poet
(d) The Boa
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years does the narrator say his father served the government in Part One, Chapter 3?
2. Of the cadets at the Academy, Lt. Gamboa says in Part One, Chapter 8, “Half of them are sent here so they won’t turn out to be” what?
3. Who does the narrator say he will kill “if he gets scared and drags us into it” in Part One, Chapter 7?
4. What color are the flannel pajamas that Cava wears in Part One, Chapter 1?
5. At what time does Lt. Huarina tell Ricardo to return to the Academy after Ricardo reveals the person responsible for the chemistry exam theft in Part One, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two depictions of women and female sexuality illustrated in The Time of the Hero?
2. What is the Poet’s objective in relation to the Slave in Part One of the novel?
3. How does the character of Lt. Huarina compare with the other officers in the novel?
4. How is the character of Flaco Higueras described? What is his role in the novel?
5. How is the “military spirit” defined by Capt. Garrido in Part One, Chapter 2?
6. How is the character of Arrospide described? What is his role in the narrative?
7. How does the narrative style of The Time of the Hero relate to the plot of the novel?
8. How does Vallano fit into the hierarchy of the Fifth Years at the Academy?
9. What act of betrayal has the Poet committed in Part One, Chapter 5?
10. How is the character of Cava described by the narrator in Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)