|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alberto drink a shot of with Skinny at the bar in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 3?
2. How long ago does the narrator say Cava came to Lima to finish school in Part One, Chapter 1?
(a) 2 and ½ years ago
(b) 3 and ½ years ago
(c) 4 and ½ years ago
(d) 1 and ½ years ago
3. Where do the members of The Circle meet in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 1?
(a) The latrine
(b) The cave
(c) The rooftop
(d) The exercise fields
4. Vallano asks Alberto if he attended what academy in Part One, Chapter 6?
(a) La Salle Academy
(b) La Cigüeña Academy
(c) La Honduras Academy
(d) La Zapata Academy
5. Where does the narrator suggest that he and his mother go back to in Part One, Chapter 5?
6. Who are “the three victims in the first section” that were late falling into line in Part One, Chapter 2?
(a) Urioste, Nunez, and Revilla
(b) Curly, the Jaguar, and the Boa
(c) Skinny, Marcela, and Vallano
(d) Varua, Morte, and Pezoa
7. On Saturdays, how long do the Fifth Year cadets have “to wash, dress, make their bunks, and fall in” after the bugle call, according to the narrator in Part One, Chapter 2?
(a) 8 minutes
(b) 5 minutes
(c) 3 minutes
(d) 10 minutes
8. Who does Lt. Gamboa call from the guardhouse when he goes there in the morning in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) His sister
(b) His brother
(c) His wife
(d) His mother
9. Who does the narrator of Part One, Chapter 3 say lives next door to him and often comes to the door when he knocks unless her aunt does?
10. The narrator of Part One, Chapter 5 says that “Tere went to have lunch on weekdays with some relatives who lived near her school” where?
(a) In Barranca
(b) In Medio Mundo
(c) In Lima
(d) In Mexico City
11. Where does the narrator of Part One, Chapter 5 tell his mother he’s going to have lunch with a friend?
(a) In Chicuito
(b) In Casma
(c) In Huarmey
(d) In Chimbote
12. Who does the narrator say he will kill “if he gets scared and drags us into it” in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) The Jaguar
(c) The Boa
13. The narrator describes the morning wind springing up where in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 2?
(a) La Perla
14. Who does the Jaguar say is taking his place on guard in Part One, Chapter 1?
(b) The Boa
(c) The Slave
(d) The Poet
15. The quote that opens Part One, Chapter 1 (“We play the part of heroes because we’re cowards, the part of saints because we’re wicked”) is written by whom?
(a) Jean-Paul Sartre
(b) Samuel Beckett
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson
(d) Franz Kafka
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says of Lt. Gamboa in Part One, Chapter 8, that he “loved the military life for exactly the same reasons that the others hated it.” What reasons are these?
2. The narrator says in Part One, Chapter 8 that who invented some new illness every two weeks for his wife in order to get a pass?
3. What day of the week is it when Alberto returns home from the Academy in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 4?
4. Where does the narrator say he would go on Sundays when Teresa went to visit family in Part One, Chapter 7?
5. What is Alberto’s last name in the novel?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)