|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what name do the elder-classmen of the academy refer to the under-classmen?
2. Who is giving Alberto a dance lesson in Part One, Chapter 7?
3. The narrator of Part One, Chapter 5 says that “Tere went to have lunch on weekdays with some relatives who lived near her school” where?
(a) In Medio Mundo
(b) In Barranca
(c) In Mexico City
(d) In Lima
4. What word from Part One, Chapter 1 refers to a wild South American camelid that lives in the high alpine areas of the Andes?
5. What is the name of Alberto’s mother in the novel?
6. What color are the flannel pajamas that Cava wears in Part One, Chapter 1?
7. The narrator notes in Part One, Chapter 2 of the Fifth Year cadets that they know there are how many minutes between the bugle player’s call and the whistle that calls them to fall in line?
(a) 20 minutes
(b) 10 minutes
(c) 3 minutes
(d) 15 minutes
8. How is Teresa’s school uniform described in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) A yellow skirt and a white blouse
(b) A pink skirt and a white blouse
(c) A red skirt and a blue blouse
(d) A blue skirt and a white blouse
9. Where does Alberto’s father say he’ll send Alberto next year if he does well on his exams in Part One, Chapter 4?
(b) The United States
(c) The Soviet Union
(d) Mexico City
10. What does Alberto drink a shot of with Skinny at the bar in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 3?
11. Where does the narrator say Porfirio Cava grew up in Part One, Chapter 1?
(a) The mountains
(b) The desert
(c) The coast
(d) The meadowlands
12. What does Lt. Gamboa say he always does when he is Officer of the Guard to pass the time in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) He studies
(b) He plays solitaire
(c) He watches television
(d) He daydreams
13. Why does the narrator say most of the cadets were in the Academy in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) Because they were facing imprisonment or reform school
(b) Because their families wanted to get rid of them for a while
(c) Because they had homosexual tendencies
(d) Because their families were in great need for money
14. During the fight at the movie theater, who does the narrator of Part One, Chapter 3 say hit him “so hard in the belly I couldn’t breathe”?
15. At what time do the narrator and his fellow cadets go into Emilio’s house after the dance lesson in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) 4:00 p.m.
(b) 3:00 p.m.
(c) 2:00 p.m.
(d) 1:00 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose image does Alberto try to remember as he unbuttons his pants at the hideout in Part One, Chapter 5?
2. What is Alberto’s last name in the novel?
3. The narrator says of Lt. Gamboa in Part One, Chapter 8, that he “loved the military life for exactly the same reasons that the others hated it.” What reasons are these?
4. Who does the narrator say “drank in secret while he was Officer of the Guard” in Part One, Chapter 8?
5. The narrator describes Alberto as getting off the bus at what stop in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 4?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)