|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lt. Huarina is said to own a small store where, in Part One, Chapter 6?
(c) Los Barrios
2. What answer does Calzada receive when he asks, “When are they going to strip off his insignia?” in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) Thursday at one
(b) Tuesday at noon
(c) Friday at six
(d) Monday at eleven
3. Where do Tere’s aunt and uncle live in Part One, Chapter 5?
(a) On Progreso Avenue
(b) On Sáenz Peña Avenue
(c) On Arica Avenue
(d) On Francisco Pizarro Avenue
4. Whose image does Alberto try to remember as he unbuttons his pants at the hideout in Part One, Chapter 5?
(c) Golden Toes’s
(d) Pretty Face’s
5. Curly describes an earthquake that took place in what year in Part One, Chapter 7?
6. The Slave tells Alberto that who is on duty today in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 2?
(a) Lt. Ferrero
(b) Lt. Fernandez
(c) Lt. Huarina
(d) Lt. Gamboa
7. Who does the narrator say “had come to watch the lessons, and spent the whole time cracking jokes, making insinuations, mentioning Helena’s name” in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) Paulino and Urioste
(b) Teresa and Marcela
(c) Pluto and Emilio
(d) Nunez and Revilla
8. Who does the narrator say he will kill “if he gets scared and drags us into it” in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) The Jaguar
(c) The Boa
9. Who does the Jaguar say is taking his place on guard in Part One, Chapter 1?
(a) The Boa
(c) The Poet
(d) The Slave
10. Where does Alberto’s father say he’ll send Alberto next year if he does well on his exams in Part One, Chapter 4?
(a) The Soviet Union
(b) Mexico City
(c) The United States
11. What is the name of Pluto’s cousin that “had become the girlfriend of a boy from San Isidro,” according to the narrator of Part One, Chapter 7?
12. How is Teresa’s school uniform described in Part One, Chapter 7?
(a) A blue skirt and a white blouse
(b) A red skirt and a blue blouse
(c) A yellow skirt and a white blouse
(d) A pink skirt and a white blouse
13. The narrator of Part One, Chapter 5 says that “Tere went to have lunch on weekdays with some relatives who lived near her school” where?
(a) In Medio Mundo
(b) In Barranca
(c) In Mexico City
(d) In Lima
14. The narrator in Part One, Chapter 5 tells his mother that he would rather live with whom than his father?
(a) Lt. Gamboa
(b) Uncle Pezoa
(c) Aunt Adelina
(d) Skinny Higueras
15. Why does the narrator say most of the cadets were in the Academy in Part One, Chapter 8?
(a) Because they were facing imprisonment or reform school
(b) Because their families wanted to get rid of them for a while
(c) Because their families were in great need for money
(d) Because they had homosexual tendencies
Short Answer Questions
1. How many points does Alberto say he needs for the exam in Part One, Chapter 2?
2. As Alberto walks from the bus station to his house in the beginning of Part One, Chapter 4, a group of small boys calls out to him. What do they ask Alberto?
3. The narrator notes in Part One, Chapter 2 of the Fifth Year cadets that they know there are how many minutes between the bugle player’s call and the whistle that calls them to fall in line?
4. What character is described in Part One, Chapter 2 as “the huskiest cadet in the first section, perhaps in the whole Academy”?
5. What is the name of the military academy that Cava and the other boys attend in the novel?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)