|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Marko Parovic described in the beginning of Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
2. The abandoned village that Natalia follows the man from the crossroads to in Chapter 13: "The River" was supposedly abandoned after what war?
3. How did the apothecary die, according to Marko's story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
4. Natalia says in the Epilogue, "When you ask the people of Galina today: 'Why don’t you let your children out after dark?' their answers are" what?
5. Natalia comments in the Epilogue that she believes the people of Galina obsessed over the tiger's wife for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Natalia theorize about Luka's death in the Epilogue? How does she explain the villagers' obsession with the legends of the tiger's wife?
2. Who does Luka intend to marry in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? How would you describe the basis of Luka's relationship with his fiancee?
3. What does Natalia comment about the outcome of the story of the tiger's wife in the novel's Epilogue?
4. How is the character of Darisa described by Natalia in Chapter 9: "The Bear"? What is Darisa's occupation?
5. What is the legend of Darisa the Bear's death as revealed in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? Who discovered Darisa's remains?
6. How is the character of Luka depicted during his childhood and young adulthood in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
7. Where did the apothecary go after Blind Orlo's death, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? How is his life described in this setting?
8. What does Natalia anticipate happening when she keeps vigil overnight in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"? What does she encounter at this setting?
9. How is Darisa's childhood and young adulthood described in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
10. How does Natalia describe the actions of her fellow citizens and of the zoo animals during the bombing raids in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of the war on Natalia’s family. Who is the man in the hat that questions Natalia’s grandfather? What is this character’s objective? How does the war affect Natalia’s grandfather’s medical practice? How did the war influence Natalia as a character growing up?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear structure of The Tiger’s Wife. Why do you think the author chose to tell the story in this way, as opposed to a direct linear story, where the grandfather’s history is related first, or separately, from Natalia’s present-day storyline? Do you think this choice was effective in tying each of the three plot lines together?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Zora in The Tiger’s Wife. For how long has Natalia known Zora? Where did they meet? What do you think Zora’s main role is in the narrative? How is Zora’s story resolved in the ending?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)