|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the apothecary die, according to Marko's story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
2. The narrator says in Chapter 9: "The Bear," "That is the truth about Darisa: the man was" what "at heart"?
3. Who obtains a potion from the apothecary and takes it to the tiger's wife in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
4. Who was the surviving hajduk that the apothecary stayed with after the rest of the band was killed?
5. Who is the killer of Shere Khan in The Jungle Book, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Natalia theorize about Luka's death in the Epilogue? How does she explain the villagers' obsession with the legends of the tiger's wife?
2. How did the apothecary and Blind Orlo make a living, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
3. How does Natalia justify her immersion into the story of Luka's back-story in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What does this justification indicate about Natalia?
4. What is the legend of Darisa the Bear's death as revealed in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? Who discovered Darisa's remains?
5. How is the character of Luka depicted during his childhood and young adulthood in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
6. Why does Natalia say that her grandfather was unhappy at the arrival of Darisa in Galina in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
7. How does the diggers' ritualistic ceremony in Chapter 8: "The Heart" relate to the central themes of The Tiger's Wife?
8. What deceit does Amana's father commit after Amana leaves to elope with her lover in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
9. What led the apothecary to attempt to help the tiger's wife, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
10. What does Natalia comment about the outcome of the story of the tiger's wife in the novel's Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. When was this book published? Who are the main characters in the story? What does The Jungle Book symbolize to Natalia’s grandfather? Who gave him the book? What does the lack of the book in the grandfather’s personal effects represent to Natalia?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the parallels between the narrative's three male orphans. Consider and comment on the similarities in their childhood circumstances, their interests and values, their adult experiences, and the circumstances and meanings of their deaths. What has led each of these characters to be orphaned? How did their abandonment influence them growing up?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of the war on Natalia’s family. Who is the man in the hat that questions Natalia’s grandfather? What is this character’s objective? How does the war affect Natalia’s grandfather’s medical practice? How did the war influence Natalia as a character growing up?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)