|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natalia agrees to bury the remains of Dure's cousin at the crossroads on the condition that he do what the next day in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
2. How old was Natalia when she describes the bombings on the city in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
3. What have Marko Parovic's grandchildren recently bought him in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
4. How old is Luka when he leaves home to pursue life as a musician in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
5. Who was the Turkish captain that sabered the young apothecary and almost impaled him in the narrator's story from Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Amana's illness in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What is done for her when she becomes ill?
2. How is the character of Luka depicted during his childhood and young adulthood in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
3. How did the apothecary and Blind Orlo make a living, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
4. Why does Natalia say that her grandfather was unhappy at the arrival of Darisa in Galina in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
5. How is the character of Darisa described by Natalia in Chapter 9: "The Bear"? What is Darisa's occupation?
6. How does Natalia describe the actions of her fellow citizens and of the zoo animals during the bombing raids in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
7. How does Natalia describe the contents of her grandfather's bag in the Epilogue? When was the bag opened?
8. What deceit does Amana's father commit after Amana leaves to elope with her lover in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
9. What is Natalia asked to promise in the conclusion of Chapter 13: "The River"? What is her response?
10. How would you describe Darisa's attempts at apprehending the tiger in Chapter 9: "The Bear"? What occurs when Darisa is leaving town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the involvement of the Balkans during World War II. How did the war change the borders of the countries in this region? How many civilians were systematically executed or imprisoned by the Nazis? How are these events depicted through the narrative of The Tiger’s Wife? How do you think World War II differs from the internal conflicts of the former Yugoslavia in terms of its impact on the citizens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of superstition versus science in The Tiger’s Wife. How does Natalia regard the superstitions of the diggers? How does she view superstition in general? Why are superstition and science at odds in the narrative? Is this reflective of our society as well?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the dog portraits in the novel. Who is depicted in these portraits? What does Natalia learn about the portraits from the boy at the orphanage in Chapter 6: “The Orphanage”? What do you think the portraits signify symbolically? How are these drawings connected to Natalia’s discoveries in the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)