|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natalia comments in the Epilogue that she believes the people of Galina obsessed over the tiger's wife for what reason?
2. Who accompanies Luka as he returns from the mountain carrying the fallen blacksmith's gun in the beginning of Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
3. In what suburb of Sarobor does Natalia's grandfather describe treating some wounded soldiers in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
4. What kind of hat does Natalia describe Zora wearing as she stood in solidarity with the people guarding the zoo in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
5. What does the tiger at the zoo begin compulsively doing in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Natalia learn from Fra Antun during their journey in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"? How is this information significant to the novel's plot?
2. What does Natalia theorize about Luka's death in the Epilogue? How does she explain the villagers' obsession with the legends of the tiger's wife?
3. Where does Natalia's grandfather describe going on the night he last met the Deathless Man in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
4. What mission does Natalia accept during the diggers' ceremony in Chapter 8: "The Heart"? Why does she undertake this mission?
5. What does Natalia comment about the outcome of the story of the tiger's wife in the novel's Epilogue?
6. What do Natalia's grandfather and Gavran Gaile do when they meet in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"? What is revealed about Gavran's past?
7. How is the character of Darisa described by Natalia in Chapter 9: "The Bear"? What is Darisa's occupation?
8. How does Natalia justify her immersion into the story of Luka's back-story in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What does this justification indicate about Natalia?
9. What deceit does Amana's father commit after Amana leaves to elope with her lover in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
10. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's legacy amongst his peers in the novel's Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different rituals surrounding death that are explored in The Tiger’s Wife. What are the origins and history of these rituals? How do these rituals compare with the rituals of death in your own culture? What are the benefits of these rituals, as seen in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Many, if not most, of the characters and/or narrative lines in this novel manifest a complex relationship between truth, secrets and lies. How is this theme explored through the story of Luka, Jovo, and the blacksmith’s hunting of the tiger in Chapter 4: “The Tiger”? How is this theme seen through Natalia’s character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the parallels between the narrative's three male orphans. Consider and comment on the similarities in their childhood circumstances, their interests and values, their adult experiences, and the circumstances and meanings of their deaths. What has led each of these characters to be orphaned? How did their abandonment influence them growing up?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)