|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the tiger find himself at an abandoned market "two blocks up from where my grandfather and my grandma would buy their first apartment fifteen years later," according to Natalia in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"?
2. What is the name of the town butcher in Galina in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"?
3. What season is it when Natalia describes her earliest memory of going to the zoo with her grandfather in the Prologue?
4. The skull replicas that Natalia and Zora travel to buy on the black market during medical school are described as replicas of a magician from the 1940s named what?
5. What is the name of the midwife that took in Natalia's grandfather when he was orphaned as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's childhood in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? Who raised Natalia's grandfather? Where did he grow up?
2. What interrupts Natalia and Zora as they go about fulfilling their mission in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
3. How does Natalia discover the location of Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? Why is this location important to Natalia?
4. What causes the argument between Natalia and Dure in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"? How does the conflict end?
5. What is Natalia's objective in Chapter 1: "The Coast"? Where is she going and what is her mission there?
6. Discuss the ethnic tensions that are seen in The Tiger's Wife. What do these tensions tell you about the setting and characters in the story?
7. What are there portraits of all over the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? What do these portraits signify?
8. Describe the author's language style in The Tiger's Wife. How would you describe the wording and stylistic devices used in the Prologue and Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
9. Why are the diggers digging in the vineyard in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"? How does the objective of the diggers relate to the novel's themes?
10. Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the story set? What clues in the narrative indicate the setting? What time period does the story take place in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gavran Gaile in the narrative. What are the grandfather’s impressions of Gavran Gaile when he first meets him? What does the grandfather lose in his bet with Gavran Gaile? Why do you think Gavran Gaile reminds the grandfather of his bet but does not take The Jungle Book in their subsequent encounters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tone and mood established in the Prologue and Chapter 1: “The Coast.” How are “tone” and “mood” defined? What differentiates the two? What literary devices does the author use to establish this tone and mood? In what ways are the tone and mood related to the setting and characters introduced?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel’s Epilogue, Natalia says of the Galina tiger, “Everything lies dead in his memory, except for the tiger's wife, for whom, on certain nights, he goes calling, making that tight note that falls and falls. The sound is lonely, and low, and no-one hears it any more.” In what ways does Natalia’s metaphoric meaning refer to the various tigers that appear in the narrative? In what ways does that meaning also refer to the various characters and their lives, particularly their thematically central struggles to live their own lives?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)