|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Natalia working on a goodwill mission to inoculate the children at an orphanage in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
2. What word does Fra Antun use to describe a haunt or "a spirit" in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
3. Where did the Administration take out the airplane factory and airstrip six months before the war broke out, according to Natalia in Chapter 2: "The War"?
4. What is the name of Barba Ivan's wife in the novel?
5. What is the response that Natalia gives her grandfather when he asks why she wanted to become a doctor in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are there portraits of all over the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? What do these portraits signify?
2. In Chapter 2: "The War," Natalia comments, "Everything necessary to understand my grandfather lies between two stories." What are these stories and what does Natalia mean by this comment?
3. How does Fra Antun describe the objective of the diggers in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
4. What information does Natalia learn about her grandfather's death from the barkeeper in Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
5. Why are the diggers digging in the vineyard in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"? How does the objective of the diggers relate to the novel's themes?
6. What causes the argument between Natalia and Dure in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"? How does the conflict end?
7. How is the departure of Gavran Gaile described in Chapter 6: "The Fire"? What does he remind Natalia's grandfather of before he leaves?
8. Describe the narrative style of The Tiger's Wife. Is the story related from a first, second, or third-person point of view? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story?
9. Discuss the ethnic tensions that are seen in The Tiger's Wife. What do these tensions tell you about the setting and characters in the story?
10. How does Natalia describe her visit with her grandfather to Verimovo in Chapter 6: "The Fire"? Where did they go there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gavran Gaile in the narrative. What are the grandfather’s impressions of Gavran Gaile when he first meets him? What does the grandfather lose in his bet with Gavran Gaile? Why do you think Gavran Gaile reminds the grandfather of his bet but does not take The Jungle Book in their subsequent encounters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of superstition versus science in The Tiger’s Wife. How does Natalia regard the superstitions of the diggers? How does she view superstition in general? Why are superstition and science at odds in the narrative? Is this reflective of our society as well?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Zora in The Tiger’s Wife. For how long has Natalia known Zora? Where did they meet? What do you think Zora’s main role is in the narrative? How is Zora’s story resolved in the ending?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)