|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to rescue Natalia and Zora when they are detained at the customs border in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
2. After her suspension, Natalia had gone back to volunteering for what organization at the suggestion of her grandfather in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
3. How many children are supposedly being housed at the monastery in Brejevina that is intended to accommodate twenty monks, according to the narrator in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
4. When Natalia's grandfather was shown the scans by his friend at the Military Academy of Medicine that indicated his illness, he had said, "You go looking for a gnat and you find" what?
5. Who is the professor of biochemical engineering that failed to put in a good word for Natalia after her suspension?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ethnic tensions that are seen in The Tiger's Wife. What do these tensions tell you about the setting and characters in the story?
2. What do Natalia and Zora go to the monastery to do in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? What is foreshadowed when Zora gives out candy?
3. How does Natalia discover the location of Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? Why is this location important to Natalia?
4. How does the grandfather's story about the Deathless Man begin in Chapter 2: "The War"? Where is the story set?
5. What is the outcome of the bet between Gavran Gaile and Natalia's grandfather in his story of the Deathless Man in Chapter 2: "The War"?
6. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's reinvention of himself after the war in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
7. Describe the narrative style of The Tiger's Wife. Is the story related from a first, second, or third-person point of view? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story?
8. How does Natalia describe the hunt for the tiger that involved Luka in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? What themes does this story evoke?
9. What causes the argument between Natalia and Dure in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"? How does the conflict end?
10. What is Natalia's objective in Chapter 1: "The Coast"? Where is she going and what is her mission there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think so many important characters in The Tiger’s Wife are not given first names? How does this choice relate to the genre of allegory? What would you consider to be archetypical aspects of each of these unnamed characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gavran Gaile in the narrative. What are the grandfather’s impressions of Gavran Gaile when he first meets him? What does the grandfather lose in his bet with Gavran Gaile? Why do you think Gavran Gaile reminds the grandfather of his bet but does not take The Jungle Book in their subsequent encounters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Natalia as the protagonist and narrator of the novel. How old do you perceive Natalia to be? What attributes does she exhibit in the story? What qualities in Natalia’s character relate to those of the typical protagonist? How does Natalia stand apart from the other characters in the story?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)