|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is implied to be the "mora" that takes the offerings from the crossroads in Chapter 13: "The River"?
(a) Barba Ivan.
(c) Fra Antun.
(d) Nada Ivan.
2. In what area near the crossroads does Fra Antun insist that Natalia stay when she insists on staying overnight in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The vineyard.
(c) The cave.
(d) The meadow.
3. Hajduks were romanticized bandits that fought the rule of whom historically?
(a) The Ottoman Turks.
(b) The Roman Empire.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The Egyptians.
4. What was the name of Luka's father?
(b) Barba Ivan.
5. Where does Natalia say her grandfather's tiger still lives in the conclusion of the Epilogue?
(a) In an orphanage in Brejevina.
(b) In a cave by a glade over Galina.
(c) In the hearts of her children.
(d) In a clinic in Zdrevkov.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fra Antun describe Arlo going camping in the year before the war with several boys in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
2. How did the apothecary die, according to Marko's story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
3. What is the name that the apothecary had been abandoned with at the orphanage, according to the story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
4. Natalia realizes as the follows the man from the crossroads that he must be headed to a village that who had told her about in Chapter 13: "The River"?
5. When did Natalia return home with her grandfather's bag of belongings, according to the narrator in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Amana's illness in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What is done for her when she becomes ill?
2. What is revealed of the apothecary's childhood and early adulthood in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
3. How does Natalia describe the apothecary's death in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? Why is this significant?
4. How does Natalia justify her immersion into the story of Luka's back-story in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What does this justification indicate about Natalia?
5. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's legacy amongst his peers in the novel's Epilogue?
6. How did the apothecary and Blind Orlo make a living, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
7. What information does Natalia learn from Fra Antun during their journey in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"? How is this information significant to the novel's plot?
8. Who is the man that Natalia follows into the abandoned village in Chapter 13: "The River"? What clues in the chapter indicate his identity?
9. How would you describe Darisa's attempts at apprehending the tiger in Chapter 9: "The Bear"? What occurs when Darisa is leaving town?
10. What deceit does Amana's father commit after Amana leaves to elope with her lover in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)