|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name that was given to the apothecary by the hajduks when he was ten years old?
2. Where was Arlo's body found after he was killed?
(a) In a hospital.
(b) In a dumpster.
(c) In a prison.
(d) In a minefield.
3. What single word is written on the last page of The Jungle Book that Natalia describes in her grandfather's pocket in the Epilogue?
4. What four-o'clock television show does Natalia describe watching with her grandfather for years in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
(b) Romanzo Criminale.
(c) Allo, Allo!
(d) Wheel of Fortune.
5. What does the tiger at the zoo begin compulsively doing in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
(a) Breaking out of its cage.
(b) Eating itself.
(c) Eating its young.
(d) Attacking the zookeepers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darisa the Bear sell when he comes to Galina each year?
2. The narrator describes Darisa the Bear's father as being renowned in what profession in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
3. Natalia describes a huge tree outside her grandfather's village on the bank of a stream that leads down from what river in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
4. Where does Fra Antun describe Arlo going camping in the year before the war with several boys in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
5. How old is the bride that Luka is tricked into marrying in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deceit does Amana's father commit after Amana leaves to elope with her lover in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
2. How does Natalia describe the apothecary's death in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? Why is this significant?
3. What does Natalia comment about the outcome of the story of the tiger's wife in the novel's Epilogue?
4. How is Darisa's childhood and young adulthood described in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
5. How does the diggers' ritualistic ceremony in Chapter 8: "The Heart" relate to the central themes of The Tiger's Wife?
6. What information leads Luka to return to Galina in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What is Luka's objective in returning?
7. How does Natalia describe the contents of her grandfather's bag in the Epilogue? When was the bag opened?
8. What does Gavran Gaile say about the suddenness of death in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
9. Where did the apothecary go after Blind Orlo's death, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? How is his life described in this setting?
10. What information does Natalia learn from Fra Antun during their journey in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"? How is this information significant to the novel's plot?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)