|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Luka born?
2. How did the apothecary die, according to Marko's story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He was stabbed by his wife.
(c) He jumped off a bridge.
(d) He shot himself.
3. How does Darisa's father die in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) He is killed in a landmine.
(b) He is in a car accident.
(c) He hangs himself.
(d) He is shot.
4. Of the Deathless Man, Natalia says in the Epilogue, "According to my grandfather's descriptions, he is a young man at" how old?
(c) Three hundred.
5. Natalia agrees to bury the remains of Dure's cousin at the crossroads on the condition that he do what the next day in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) Send his family to the clinic.
(b) Return to Russia.
(c) Join the war efforts.
(d) Turn himself into the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Luka go in order to pursue life as a musician in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
2. Natalia says in the Epilogue, "When you ask the people of Galina today: 'Why don’t you let your children out after dark?' their answers are" what?
3. According to the narrator in Chapter 9: "The Bear," Darisa the Bear came to Galina once every year, right after what holiday?
4. Natalia says in Chapter 7: "The Butcher," "My grandfather did not know any of these things, but the other villagers knew, without having to talk about it, that Luka was" what?
5. What is the name of the giant Welsh rabbit described at the zoo in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mission does Natalia accept during the diggers' ceremony in Chapter 8: "The Heart"? Why does she undertake this mission?
2. How does Natalia justify her immersion into the story of Luka's back-story in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"? What does this justification indicate about Natalia?
3. Why does Natalia say that her grandfather was unhappy at the arrival of Darisa in Galina in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
4. How does Natalia describe the contents of her grandfather's bag in the Epilogue? When was the bag opened?
5. What information does Natalia learn from Fra Antun during their journey in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"? How is this information significant to the novel's plot?
6. What does Natalia theorize about Luka's death in the Epilogue? How does she explain the villagers' obsession with the legends of the tiger's wife?
7. How would you describe Darisa's attempts at apprehending the tiger in Chapter 9: "The Bear"? What occurs when Darisa is leaving town?
8. Where does Natalia's grandfather describe going on the night he last met the Deathless Man in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
9. How did the apothecary and Blind Orlo make a living, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
10. What is the legend of Darisa the Bear's death as revealed in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"? Who discovered Darisa's remains?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)