|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of walking out with the nurses on strike, Natalia says that she was given an indefinite suspension from the clinic where in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
2. Who comes to rescue Natalia and Zora when they are detained at the customs border in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
(a) Natalia's mother.
(b) Zora's grandfather.
(c) Natalia's grandfather.
(d) Zora's father.
3. In what year does Natalia say "without declaration or warning, German bombs started falling on the city and did not stop for three days" in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"?
4. What contraband "gift" does Natalia's teacher bring to the class to dissect in Chapter 2: "The War"?
(a) A heart.
(b) A pair of lungs.
(c) A pig fetus.
(d) A bullfrog.
5. The cannonball that is wedged into the orphanage wall is said to be from what kind of ship in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) A French ship.
(b) A Venetian ship.
(c) A German ship.
(d) A British ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator in Chapter 6: "The Fire" describes the City's greatest doctors convening on the patio of what restaurant in Old Town every Sunday afternoon, even during the war?
2. How many children does Natalia say her grandparents lost in stillbirth in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
3. How long ago does Barba Ivan say the diggers arrived on his doorstep in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
4. As Natalia sits at the orphanage, she can see the lights of what town across the bay in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
5. What is the name of Barba Ivan's wife in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the diggers to become frightened when Natalia first appears to them in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
2. How does Natalia describe the hunt for the tiger that involved Luka in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? What themes does this story evoke?
3. What incident involving being detained by customs officers at the border does Natalia describe in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
4. Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the story set? What clues in the narrative indicate the setting? What time period does the story take place in?
5. How would you describe the change in the style of the narrative in the grandfather's story about the Deathless Man in Chapter 2: "The War"?
6. What do Natalia and Zora go to the monastery to do in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? What is foreshadowed when Zora gives out candy?
7. How does Natalia explain the presence of a tiger in the hills above Galina in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? Where did the tiger come from?
8. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's reinvention of himself after the war in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
9. What discussion takes place in Chapter 6: "The Fire" between Natalia and her grandfather when he asks what she will choose to specialize in?
10. In Chapter 2: "The War," Natalia comments, "Everything necessary to understand my grandfather lies between two stories." What are these stories and what does Natalia mean by this comment?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)