|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the response that Natalia gives her grandfather when he asks why she wanted to become a doctor in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
(a) Because of job security.
(b) Because I don't know what else to be.
(c) Because I want to make money.
(d) Because it's the right thing to do.
2. The narrator in Chapter 6: "The Fire" describes the City's greatest doctors convening on the patio of what restaurant in Old Town every Sunday afternoon, even during the war?
(a) Lazlo's restaurant.
(b) Srdjan's restaurant.
(c) Banevic's restaurant.
(d) Dobravka's restaurant.
3. What is the name of the digger's son that Natalia tries to get sent home from the site because he has fever in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
4. What is the name of the monk's father that hosts Natalia and Zora in his and his wife's home in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
(a) Bogdan Dankov.
(b) Hassan Effendi.
(c) Dominic Lazlo.
(d) Barba Ivan.
5. What musician does the bartender put on the jukebox while Natalia waits for word from the clinic in Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) Michael Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Natalia describe herself in her earliest memory of going to the zoo with her grandfather in the novel's Prologue?
2. During wartime, the Administration implements a curfew and mandatory lights-out at what time, according to Natalia in Chapter 2: "The War"?
3. How old is Ori when Natalia meets him in Chapter 2: "The War"?
4. As Natalia sits at the orphanage, she can see the lights of what town across the bay in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
5. What is the name of the midwife that took in Natalia's grandfather when he was orphaned as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ethnic tensions that are seen in The Tiger's Wife. What do these tensions tell you about the setting and characters in the story?
2. What causes the argument between Natalia and Dure in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"? How does the conflict end?
3. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's reinvention of himself after the war in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
4. What incident involving being detained by customs officers at the border does Natalia describe in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
5. What is symbolized by Natalia's grandfather's ritual visits to the zoo in the Prologue and Chapter 1: "The Coast"? How does this tradition play into the novel's themes?
6. How does Natalia explain the presence of a tiger in the hills above Galina in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? Where did the tiger come from?
7. What discussion takes place in Chapter 6: "The Fire" between Natalia and her grandfather when he asks what she will choose to specialize in?
8. Describe the narrative style of The Tiger's Wife. Is the story related from a first, second, or third-person point of view? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story?
9. How is the departure of Gavran Gaile described in Chapter 6: "The Fire"? What does he remind Natalia's grandfather of before he leaves?
10. What is Natalia's objective in Chapter 1: "The Coast"? Where is she going and what is her mission there?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)