|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Natalia describe her grandfather's summer lake house in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
2. Who gave Natalia's grandfather his cherished copy of The Jungle Book?
(a) The zookeeper.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The tiger's wife.
(d) The apothecary.
3. How old are the two boys that appear sick and are working along with the diggers in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
(a) About six.
(b) About thirteen.
(c) About nine.
(d) About fourteen.
4. In Chapter 1: "The Coast," the narrator says that "to welcome the newly loosed spirit [of the dead], the living will not clean, will not wash or tidy, will not remove the soul’s belongings for" how many days?
5. What word from Chapter 6: "The Fire" refers to doctors who specialize in working on the kidney?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the monk's father that hosts Natalia and Zora in his and his wife's home in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
2. Where does Fra Antun say the teenage boys were coming home from when they were killed by a land mine in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
3. What is the name of Barba Ivan's wife in the novel?
4. Who is the Italian monk that is working with the children when Natalia and Zora arrive to administer their vaccines in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
5. What contraband "gift" does Natalia's teacher bring to the class to dissect in Chapter 2: "The War"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ethnic tensions that are seen in The Tiger's Wife. What do these tensions tell you about the setting and characters in the story?
2. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's reinvention of himself after the war in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
3. Describe the author's language style in The Tiger's Wife. How would you describe the wording and stylistic devices used in the Prologue and Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
4. What do Natalia and Zora go to the monastery to do in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? What is foreshadowed when Zora gives out candy?
5. What interrupts Natalia and Zora as they go about fulfilling their mission in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
6. What discussion takes place in Chapter 6: "The Fire" between Natalia and her grandfather when he asks what she will choose to specialize in?
7. What is Natalia's objective in Chapter 1: "The Coast"? Where is she going and what is her mission there?
8. Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the story set? What clues in the narrative indicate the setting? What time period does the story take place in?
9. What is symbolized by Natalia's grandfather's ritual visits to the zoo in the Prologue and Chapter 1: "The Coast"? How does this tradition play into the novel's themes?
10. How does Natalia discover the location of Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? Why is this location important to Natalia?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)