|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Natalia describe drinking all night when her grandfather makes her stay home for the family Christmas party in Chapter 2: "The War"?
(b) Apple cider.
2. What mountain is described by the dig site in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
(a) Mount Brejevina.
(b) Mount Vesuvius.
(c) Mount Albula.
(d) Mount Kreuzeck.
3. The Marshall is said to have taken ill while en route to a conference in what city in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
4. Who comes to rescue Natalia and Zora when they are detained at the customs border in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
(a) Natalia's grandfather.
(b) Natalia's mother.
(c) Zora's father.
(d) Zora's grandfather.
5. Natalia says in Chapter 2: "The War" that six months into the war, her friend Zora develops a taste for cigarettes from what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children are supposedly being housed at the monastery in Brejevina that is intended to accommodate twenty monks, according to the narrator in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
2. What is the name of the monk's father that hosts Natalia and Zora in his and his wife's home in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
3. What is the name of the digger that is described as a welder to Natalia in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
4. How long ago does Natalia say she was with her grandfather when he discovered his illness at the Military Academy of Medicine in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
5. Who gave Natalia's grandfather his cherished copy of The Jungle Book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Natalia's grandfather respond when she discusses her excitement over the elephant and her desire to tell her friends about the incident? Why is this comment significant?
2. How does Natalia explain the presence of a tiger in the hills above Galina in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? Where did the tiger come from?
3. How is the departure of Gavran Gaile described in Chapter 6: "The Fire"? What does he remind Natalia's grandfather of before he leaves?
4. How does Natalia describe the hunt for the tiger that involved Luka in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"? What themes does this story evoke?
5. What are there portraits of all over the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"? What do these portraits signify?
6. How does Fra Antun describe the objective of the diggers in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
7. In Chapter 2: "The War," Natalia comments, "Everything necessary to understand my grandfather lies between two stories." What are these stories and what does Natalia mean by this comment?
8. How does Natalia describe her visit with her grandfather to Verimovo in Chapter 6: "The Fire"? Where did they go there?
9. How does Natalia describe her grandfather's reinvention of himself after the war in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
10. Discuss the ethnic tensions that are seen in The Tiger's Wife. What do these tensions tell you about the setting and characters in the story?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)