|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the killer of Shere Khan in The Jungle Book, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
2. How old is Natalia's grandfather in the story about the arrival of Darisa the Bear in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
3. What lifelong illness did Darisa the Bear's sister suffer from?
(a) Psychotic blindness.
4. The hajduk band that the apothecary spent much of his youth with eventually fell to a band of what, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) Egyptian soldiers.
(b) Magyar bounty hunters.
(c) Roman invaders.
(d) British soldiers.
5. What four-o'clock television show does Natalia describe watching with her grandfather for years in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
(a) Wheel of Fortune.
(b) Allo, Allo!
(d) Romanzo Criminale.
6. Natalia says in Chapter 7: "The Butcher," "My grandfather did not know any of these things, but the other villagers knew, without having to talk about it, that Luka was" what?
(a) A batterer.
(b) An alien.
(c) A murderer.
(d) An infidel.
7. How does Marco Parovic describe the apothecary's appearance in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) Tall and regal.
(b) Dignified but very ugly.
(c) Handsome but suspicious-looking.
8. Who is the first taxidermist that Darisa apprentices with in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) Hassan Effendi.
(b) Khasim Aga.
(c) Dominic Lazlo.
(d) Mr. Bogdan Dankov.
9. What is the name that the apothecary had been abandoned with at the orphanage, according to the story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) Kasim Suleimanovic.
(b) Vuk Sivic.
(c) Bogdan Dankov.
(d) Hassan Effendi.
10. What was the name of Darisa the Bear's sister who had a lifelong illness?
11. How old is the bride that Luka is tricked into marrying in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
12. Who was the surviving hajduk that the apothecary stayed with after the rest of the band was killed?
(a) Mica the Cleaver.
(b) Dominic Lazlo.
(c) Nada Ivan.
(d) Blind Orlo.
13. Natalia describes paintings of what animal that filled the home in the abandoned village in the Epilogue?
(b) The snake.
(d) The tiger.
14. Of the Deathless Man, Natalia says in the Epilogue, "According to my grandfather's descriptions, he is a young man at" how old?
(c) Three hundred.
15. Natalia realizes as the follows the man from the crossroads that he must be headed to a village that who had told her about in Chapter 13: "The River"?
(b) Fra Antun.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Arlo the year before the war started, according to Fra Antun in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
2. Who does Natalia say told her about "mountain spirits" that lure lost travelers into their midst, in Chapter 13: "The River"?
3. What is the name of the zoo's beloved elephant that drops dead in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
4. What is the name of the merchant whose daughter Luka befriends and plans to marry in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
5. What word from Chapter 7: "The Butcher" refers to a feeling of anticipation of or anxiety over a future event?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)