|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 9: "The Bear," Darisa the Bear came to Galina once every year, right after what holiday?
2. Who is depicted on the shrine at the crossroads that Fra Antun leads Natalia to?
(b) The Buddha.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
3. What does Dure use as a "metaphorical heart" in the ritual in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) A stone.
(b) A rag.
(c) A skull.
(d) An apple.
4. What was the name of Luka's mother?
5. What is the name of the zoo's beloved elephant that drops dead in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
6. In what suburb of Sarobor does Natalia's grandfather describe treating some wounded soldiers in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
7. What have Marko Parovic's grandchildren recently bought him in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) A wheelchair.
(b) A car.
(c) A dishwasher.
(d) A lawnmower.
8. How old was Arlo the year before the war started, according to Fra Antun in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
9. Where does Natalia describe Zora calling her "in a panic at all hours of the night" in the Epilogue?
(a) The Oncology Institute of Bavaria.
(b) The Neurology Institute in Zurich.
(c) The Pediatric Surgery Institute of Madrid.
(d) The Genetics Institute in Paris.
10. What single word is written on the last page of The Jungle Book that Natalia describes in her grandfather's pocket in the Epilogue?
11. Natalia says in the Epilogue, "When you ask the people of Galina today: 'Why don’t you let your children out after dark?' their answers are" what?
(a) Vague and uncomfortable.
(b) Cold and sarcastic.
(c) Emotional and pleading.
(d) Hostile and embarrassed.
12. The narrator says in Chapter 9: "The Bear," "That is the truth about Darisa: the man was" what "at heart"?
(b) A taxidermist.
(c) A butcher.
13. Who is implied to be the "mora" that takes the offerings from the crossroads in Chapter 13: "The River"?
(a) Fra Antun.
(c) Nada Ivan.
(d) Barba Ivan.
14. What word is described in Chapter 7: "The Butcher" as "something sacred to the entire village"?
(a) A honora.
(b) A vila.
(c) A mora.
(d) A hajduk.
15. What is the body of Dure's cousin buried within, in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A coffin.
(c) A plastic bag.
(d) A small boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Natalia realizes as the follows the man from the crossroads that he must be headed to a village that who had told her about in Chapter 13: "The River"?
2. What was the name of Darisa the Bear's sister who had a lifelong illness?
3. What is the name that was given to the apothecary by the hajduks when he was ten years old?
4. What was the name of Luka's father?
5. The Deathless Man reveals to Natalia's grandfather that the woman he loved was once what, in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)