|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Luka as he returns from the mountain carrying the fallen blacksmith's gun in the beginning of Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
2. How does Fra Antun say he was related to Arlo in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
(a) Arlo was his son.
(b) Arlo was his cousin.
(c) Arlo was his brother.
(d) Arlo was his father.
3. What word is described in Chapter 7: "The Butcher" as "something sacred to the entire village"?
(a) A honora.
(b) A mora.
(c) A hajduk.
(d) A vila.
4. The narrator describes Darisa the Bear's father as being renowned in what profession in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
5. What does Darisa the Bear sell when he comes to Galina each year?
6. What lifelong illness did Darisa the Bear's sister suffer from?
(a) Psychotic blindness.
7. Who killed the fabled wolf of Kolovac, according to the narrator in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) Barba Ivan.
(b) Vuk Sivic.
(c) Khasim Aga.
(d) Hassan Effendi.
8. Who does Natalia say told her about "mountain spirits" that lure lost travelers into their midst, in Chapter 13: "The River"?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her grandmother.
9. Natalia comments in the Epilogue that in Galina, there is a strong stipulation against virgins crossing the pasture at what time?
(a) During the Summer Solstice.
(b) During the new moon.
(c) In December.
(d) During the full moon.
10. What is the name of the merchant whose daughter Luka befriends and plans to marry in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
(a) Dominic Lazlo.
(b) Barba Ivan.
(c) Hassan Effendi.
(d) Dr. Srdjan.
11. How is Darisa the Bear's appearance described in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) Tall and hairy.
(b) Tall and thin.
(c) Short and smooth-faced.
(d) Short and bearded.
12. Natalia agrees to bury the remains of Dure's cousin at the crossroads on the condition that he do what the next day in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) Turn himself into the police.
(b) Return to Russia.
(c) Join the war efforts.
(d) Send his family to the clinic.
13. What four-o'clock television show does Natalia describe watching with her grandfather for years in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
(a) Allo, Allo!
(c) Wheel of Fortune.
(d) Romanzo Criminale.
14. What is the name that the apothecary had been abandoned with at the orphanage, according to the story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) Bogdan Dankov.
(b) Kasim Suleimanovic.
(c) Vuk Sivic.
(d) Hassan Effendi.
15. What is the body of Dure's cousin buried within, in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A small boat.
(c) A plastic bag.
(d) A suitcase.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described by the gossipers of the town as "a thief of music" in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
2. What does Dure use as a "metaphorical heart" in the ritual in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
3. How old does the narrator say Darisa was when he first witnessed one of his sister's attacks in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
4. What word used in the Epilogue means lasting a very short time, or transitory?
5. What is the name of the giant Welsh rabbit described at the zoo in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)