|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darisa's father die in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is killed in a landmine.
(c) He is in a car accident.
(d) He hangs himself.
2. What kinds of animals does Fra Antun say come to the crossroads and carry rabies when Natalia insists on staying in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
(a) Wild dogs.
3. What does Dure use as a "metaphorical heart" in the ritual in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) A skull.
(b) An apple.
(c) A rag.
(d) A stone.
4. How did the apothecary die, according to Marko's story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) He jumped off a bridge.
(b) He was stabbed by his wife.
(c) He was hung.
(d) He shot himself.
5. Who is the killer of Shere Khan in The Jungle Book, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
6. Natalia describes paintings of what animal that filled the home in the abandoned village in the Epilogue?
(a) The snake.
(d) The tiger.
7. Where does Natalia stop for candy on her way back to the orphanage from Zdrevkov in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
8. Natalia comments in the Epilogue that she believes the people of Galina obsessed over the tiger's wife for what reason?
(a) To avoid the reality of the impending war.
(b) To differentiate themselves from the machine age.
(c) To hold onto the past and the belief in magic.
(d) To maintain peace and obedience from their children.
9. How much younger was Darisa the Bear than his sister who suffered from a lifelong illness?
(a) 7 years younger.
(b) 5 years younger.
(c) 3 years younger.
(d) 2 years younger.
10. Natalia realizes as the follows the man from the crossroads that he must be headed to a village that who had told her about in Chapter 13: "The River"?
(a) Fra Antun.
11. How old was Natalia when she describes the bombings on the city in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
12. Natalia describes a huge tree outside her grandfather's village on the bank of a stream that leads down from what river in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) The Klamath River.
(b) The Galinica River.
(c) The Nile River.
(d) The Indiri River.
13. What word from Chapter 7: "The Butcher" refers to a feeling of anticipation of or anxiety over a future event?
14. How old is the bride that Luka is tricked into marrying in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
15. In Marco Parovic's story of Darisa the Bear in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary," he describes Darisa awakening to find the tiger eating what?
(a) Darisa's leg.
(b) Darisa's heart.
(c) Darisa's hand.
(d) An elk.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hajduk band that the apothecary spent much of his youth with eventually fell to a band of what, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
2. What did Natalia look for but not find among her grandfather's belongings, as described in the Epilogue?
3. What word used in the Epilogue means lasting a very short time, or transitory?
4. For how many years did the apothecary spend with the hajduks before the band was largely killed, according to the narrator in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
5. Who is the town herbalist that sends off for a "miracle worker" physician to see to Luka's fiancee when she becomes ill in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)