|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 8: "The Heart" means characterized by sudden, violent outburst?
2. What does Darisa the Bear sell when he comes to Galina each year?
3. How is Darisa the Bear's appearance described in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) Short and smooth-faced.
(b) Tall and thin.
(c) Tall and hairy.
(d) Short and bearded.
4. What does the word "apothecary" mean?
(a) A pharmacist.
(b) A beautician.
(c) A midwife.
(d) A taxidermist.
5. The narrator says in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary" that Marko Parovic will not talk about Darisa the Bear at all without enlisting encouragement from what?
(a) Several glasses of rakija.
(b) His grandchildren.
(c) Several bottles of scotch.
(d) A few cigars.
6. What lifelong illness did Darisa the Bear's sister suffer from?
(d) Psychotic blindness.
7. What was the name of Luka's mother?
8. When did Natalia return home with her grandfather's bag of belongings, according to the narrator in the Epilogue?
(a) The day before his funeral.
(b) Two weeks after his funeral.
(c) On the morning of his funeral.
(d) Two days after his funeral.
9. Where does Fra Antun describe Arlo going camping in the year before the war with several boys in Chapter 10: "The Crossroads"?
10. Hajduks were romanticized bandits that fought the rule of whom historically?
(a) The Roman Empire.
(b) The Egyptians.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The Ottoman Turks.
11. Who killed the fabled wolf of Kolovac, according to the narrator in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
(a) Barba Ivan.
(b) Vuk Sivic.
(c) Hassan Effendi.
(d) Khasim Aga.
12. Who obtains a potion from the apothecary and takes it to the tiger's wife in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(b) Mother Vera.
(d) Natalia's grandfather.
13. Who was the surviving hajduk that the apothecary stayed with after the rest of the band was killed?
(a) Blind Orlo.
(b) Nada Ivan.
(c) Mica the Cleaver.
(d) Dominic Lazlo.
14. Where does Natalia say her grandfather's tiger still lives in the conclusion of the Epilogue?
(a) In a clinic in Zdrevkov.
(b) In a cave by a glade over Galina.
(c) In the hearts of her children.
(d) In an orphanage in Brejevina.
15. Who is described by the gossipers of the town as "a thief of music" in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Luka as he returns from the mountain carrying the fallen blacksmith's gun in the beginning of Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
2. What is the body of Dure's cousin buried within, in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
3. How old is Natalia's grandfather in the story about the arrival of Darisa the Bear in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
4. What does the tiger at the zoo begin compulsively doing in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
5. Natalia says in Chapter 7: "The Butcher," "My grandfather did not know any of these things, but the other villagers knew, without having to talk about it, that Luka was" what?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)