|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Natalia describes a huge tree outside her grandfather's village on the bank of a stream that leads down from what river in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) The Klamath River.
(b) The Galinica River.
(c) The Indiri River.
(d) The Nile River.
2. What is Jovo's profession in the story of Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) He is a butcher.
(b) He is a blacksmith.
(c) He is an apothecary.
(d) He is a greengrocer.
3. How does Marco Parovic describe the apothecary's appearance in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) Handsome but suspicious-looking.
(c) Dignified but very ugly.
(d) Tall and regal.
4. What Ottoman dish of baked filled pastries made of phyllo dough is described in Chapter 11: "The Bombing"?
5. What is the name that the apothecary had been abandoned with at the orphanage, according to the story in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) Vuk Sivic.
(b) Bogdan Dankov.
(c) Hassan Effendi.
(d) Kasim Suleimanovic.
6. Where was Luka born?
7. Who accompanies Luka as he returns from the mountain carrying the fallen blacksmith's gun in the beginning of Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
8. How old is the bride that Luka is tricked into marrying in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
9. Where was the apothecary found wandering the ruins as a ten-year-old boy in the story from Chapter 12: "The Apothecary"?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A butcher shop.
(c) A government office.
(d) A zoo.
10. The narrator says in Chapter 12: "The Apothecary" that Marko Parovic will not talk about Darisa the Bear at all without enlisting encouragement from what?
(a) Several bottles of scotch.
(b) His grandchildren.
(c) A few cigars.
(d) Several glasses of rakija.
11. What is the body of Dure's cousin buried within, in Chapter 8: "The Heart"?
(a) A plastic bag.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A small boat.
(d) A coffin.
12. Natalia says in Chapter 7: "The Butcher," "My grandfather did not know any of these things, but the other villagers knew, without having to talk about it, that Luka was" what?
(a) A murderer.
(b) A batterer.
(c) An alien.
(d) An infidel.
13. Natalia realizes as the follows the man from the crossroads that he must be headed to a village that who had told her about in Chapter 13: "The River"?
(c) Fra Antun.
14. What is the name of the merchant's daughter that Luka plans to marry in Chapter 7: "The Butcher"?
15. When did Natalia return home with her grandfather's bag of belongings, according to the narrator in the Epilogue?
(a) Two weeks after his funeral.
(b) On the morning of his funeral.
(c) The day before his funeral.
(d) Two days after his funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man that Natalia follows into the abandoned village in Chapter 13: "The River" tells her there has been a mora for how long?
2. The narrator says of Luka's father in Chapter 7: "The Butcher" that he had amassed an impressive collection of what kind of artifacts?
3. Who killed the fabled wolf of Kolovac, according to the narrator in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
4. What was the name of Luka's father?
5. The narrator describes Darisa the Bear's father as being renowned in what profession in Chapter 9: "The Bear"?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)