|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What location does Natalia describe in Chapter 2: "The War" as "where the gypsies lived, with its wet paper walls, the black smoke of its dungfires"?
(d) Carton City.
2. Where does the woman from the clinic tell Natalia that Dejana is currently when she calls from the bar in Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
3. What does Natalia say caused the fire in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
(a) An arsonist carrying gasoline.
(b) A drunkard with a cigarette.
(c) A lightning strike.
(d) A lynch mob.
4. Who comes to rescue Natalia and Zora when they are detained at the customs border in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
(a) Zora's grandfather.
(b) Natalia's mother.
(c) Zora's father.
(d) Natalia's grandfather.
5. The Marshall is said to have taken ill while en route to a conference in what city in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
6. Lake Verimovo is described in Chapter 6: "The Fire" as being fed by what river?
(a) The Amovarka River.
(b) The Siret River.
(c) The Trotus River.
(d) The Moldova River.
7. What is the name of the turtle that Frau Antun asks Natalia and Zora if they've met yet at the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
8. What kind of Balkan brandy is described as sitting about on the floor of Barba Ivan's home in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
9. As Natalia sits at the orphanage, she can see the lights of what town across the bay in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
10. What word from Chapter 6: "The Fire" refers to doctors who specialize in working on the kidney?
11. Where is Natalia working on a goodwill mission to inoculate the children at an orphanage in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
12. Natalia's grandfather tells her in Chapter 6: "The Fire," "When men die, they die in fear. They take everything they need from you, and as a doctor it is your job to give it, to comfort them, to hold their hand. But children die how they have been living—in" what?
13. What is the name of the digger's son that Natalia tries to get sent home from the site because he has fever in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
14. What is the name of the midwife that took in Natalia's grandfather when he was orphaned as a child?
(a) Nada Ivan.
(b) M. Dobravka.
(c) Fra Antun.
(d) Mother Vera.
15. What age does Natalia say she was when took a dive off her bicycle and "bawled through half an hour of treatment via rakija-soaked cloth" to her knees, in Chapter 2: "The War"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is Bis?
2. How many children does Natalia say her grandparents lost in stillbirth in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
3. What is the name of Barba Ivan's wife in the novel?
4. Who is the Franciscan monk that runs the monastery and is Natalia and Zora's contact in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
5. By what name does Natalia refer to the "obese technical student... who prepared cadavers" at the medical school in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)