|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Barba Ivan's wife in the novel?
2. How far does Fra Antun tell Natalia that Zdrevkov is from the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) Three hours' drive.
(b) Two hours' drive.
(c) A twenty-minute drive.
(d) An hour's drive.
3. Lake Verimovo is described in Chapter 6: "The Fire" as being fed by what river?
(a) The Moldova River.
(b) The Trotus River.
(c) The Siret River.
(d) The Amovarka River.
4. What musician does the bartender put on the jukebox while Natalia waits for word from the clinic in Zdrevkov in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) Michael Jackson.
(b) Paul McCartney.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) John Lennon.
5. What kind of animal is Bis?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) An elephant.
6. What location does Natalia describe in Chapter 2: "The War" as "where the gypsies lived, with its wet paper walls, the black smoke of its dungfires"?
(b) Carton City.
7. What is the name of the town butcher in Galina in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"?
8. In what year does Natalia's grandfather say he met Natalia's grandmother in Chapter 2: "The War"?
9. What word from Chapter 6: "The Fire" refers to doctors who specialize in working on the kidney?
10. What season is it when Natalia describes her earliest memory of going to the zoo with her grandfather in the Prologue?
11. Where does Natalia's grandmother tell her that the funeral will be for Natalia's grandfather in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
12. Zora argues with the Italian monk regarding what products that were brought to hand out to the older girls at the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) Menstrual pads.
(b) Audio tapes.
13. What is the name of the turtle that Frau Antun asks Natalia and Zora if they've met yet at the orphanage in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
14. What is the name of the neighbor to Natalia's family's summer lake home in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
15. Who does Natalia say shot himself while trying to reload his gun to shoot the tiger in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The apothecary.
(d) The judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator in Chapter 6: "The Fire" describes the City's greatest doctors convening on the patio of what restaurant in Old Town every Sunday afternoon, even during the war?
2. Natalia's grandfather tells her in Chapter 6: "The Fire," "When men die, they die in fear. They take everything they need from you, and as a doctor it is your job to give it, to comfort them, to hold their hand. But children die how they have been living—in" what?
3. What word from Chapter 6: "The Fire" refers to patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship?
4. What is the name of the twenty-one-year-old self-proclaimed gun-runner that Zora begins dating when she is fifteen in Chapter 2: "The War"?
5. What book does Natalia describe as always being in her grandfather's breast pocket in the Prologue?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)