|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the midwife that took in Natalia's grandfather when he was orphaned as a child?
(a) M. Dobravka.
(b) Fra Antun.
(c) Nada Ivan.
(d) Mother Vera.
2. Who is the Franciscan monk that runs the monastery and is Natalia and Zora's contact in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
(a) Dominic Lazlo.
(b) Fra Antun.
(c) Barba Ivan.
(d) Fra Parso.
3. The narrator in Chapter 6: "The Fire" describes the City's greatest doctors convening on the patio of what restaurant in Old Town every Sunday afternoon, even during the war?
(a) Srdjan's restaurant.
(b) Dobravka's restaurant.
(c) Banevic's restaurant.
(d) Lazlo's restaurant.
4. What location does Natalia describe in Chapter 2: "The War" as "where the gypsies lived, with its wet paper walls, the black smoke of its dungfires"?
(a) Carton City.
5. Where does Natalia's grandmother tell her that the funeral will be for Natalia's grandfather in Chapter 1: "The Coast"?
6. The cannonball that is wedged into the orphanage wall is said to be from what kind of ship in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) A British ship.
(b) A German ship.
(c) A French ship.
(d) A Venetian ship.
7. What book does Natalia describe as always being in her grandfather's breast pocket in the Prologue?
(a) Aesop's Fables.
(b) The Stranger.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) The Jungle Book.
8. What does Natalia's mother teach at the University in Chapter 2: "The War"?
(b) Musical theory.
(d) Art history.
9. Who comes to rescue Natalia and Zora when they are detained at the customs border in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
(a) Zora's grandfather.
(b) Zora's father.
(c) Natalia's grandfather.
(d) Natalia's mother.
10. What mountain is described by the dig site in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
(a) Mount Vesuvius.
(b) Mount Brejevina.
(c) Mount Albula.
(d) Mount Kreuzeck.
11. Who are the many portraits of that line the monastery and are found throughout the village in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) Barba Ivan.
(c) Fra Antun.
(d) Nada Ivan.
12. Where did Natalia's grandfather grow up?
13. Natalia describes Barba Ivan as how old "if he was a day" in Chapter 5: "The Orphanage"?
(a) Ninety years old.
(b) Sixty years old.
(c) Eighty years old.
(d) Seventy years old.
14. Natalia says in Chapter 6: "The Fire" that her family had spent every summer at their summer lake house until she was how old?
15. How old are the two boys that appear sick and are working along with the diggers in Chapter 3: "The Diggers"?
(a) About thirteen.
(b) About six.
(c) About nine.
(d) About fourteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river is described by the citadel where the tiger was caged in Chapter 4: "The Tiger"?
2. Where did the Administration take out the airplane factory and airstrip six months before the war broke out, according to Natalia in Chapter 2: "The War"?
3. What is the name of the neighbor to Natalia's family's summer lake home in Chapter 6: "The Fire"?
4. What does Natalia describe drinking all night when her grandfather makes her stay home for the family Christmas party in Chapter 2: "The War"?
5. How old is Ori when Natalia meets him in Chapter 2: "The War"?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)