Prologue and Chapter 1: “The Coast”
• The Tiger’s Wife is a novel by author Tea Obreht.
• The multi-textured narrative of this complex novel interweaves three related plots which explore the nature of death, the struggle to live, and the relationships between truth, secrets, and lies.
• In the Prologue, narrator Natalia recalls her "earliest memory" of being taken to the zoo by her grandfather to visit the tiger’s cage.
• Natalia describes seeing a careless keeper being attacked by a tiger, being helped by bystanders, being let go by the tiger, and being called a fool by her grandfather.
• Chapter 1: “The Coast” opens with a description of a forty-day-long local ritual designed to keep the soul from leaving the place where it's died before the family has a chance to mourn it properly.
• Natalia’s grandmother felt robbed of the first few days of that ritual.
• Natalia reveals in...
This section contains 3,350 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)