|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mavis' maiden name?
2. What were John and Sandy doing when John died?
3. Toward the end of Chapter 9, who did Mavis say she was worried about?
4. What does Sandy say Lyman always dressed in after returning home?
5. Which doctor was John taken to after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mavis decided it was time to get married, what did she tell Sandy to do?
2. After Roy's death, what did Edith decorate her house with?
3. After John's death, what did Sandy and Leona argue about?
4. What does Sandy say about his and Mavis' personalities?
5. What did Sandy fear would happen if Mavis held her baby?
6. In spite of his objections, what did Sandy do for his mother when she decided to remarry?
7. What was Sandy's educational standing at the end of his fourth year of college?
8. On the night of Lyman's return, what did he bring out from his suitcases?
9. What 'joke' did Twyla tell Clevis and Sandy one night after a party?
10. When, where, and how did John die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Edith and her father, Roy; what conflicts did they face in their relationship? How did Roy treat Edith and how did she react to his behavior towards her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of dependence in the novel "The Tie That Binds." Who depends on whom? How does this affect the characters who have others who are dependent on them? Discuss Lyman's and Roy's dependence on Edith. How does this affect Edith?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the antagonist of the novel "The Tie That Binds." What is an antagonist? Who is the antagonist of this novel? Why is he/she the antagonist? How does the antagonist affect the plot and the other characters?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)