|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Sandy graduate from high school?
2. Toward the end of Chapter 9, who did Mavis say she was worried about?
3. Why didn't John lease the Goodnough land?
4. Who drove the car on the way home from the county fair?
5. What happened to Mavis following the car accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leona announce in 1952?
2. What was Sandy's educational standing at the end of his fourth year of college?
3. What did Sandy fear would happen if Mavis held her baby?
4. What does Sandy say about his and Mavis' personalities?
5. When, where, and how did John die?
6. What story does Sandy tell about the Wellrights?
7. What did Edith tell Lyman about the money she saved?
8. Why did Mavis and Edith insist on staying at the county fair later than planned?
9. After Roy's death, what did Edith decorate her house with?
10. Who did John arrange to lease the Goodnough land, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of understanding in the novel "The Tie That Binds." What are some examples of understanding in the novel? Why is understanding so important in regards to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonist of the novel "The Tie That Binds." What is an antagonist? Who is the antagonist of this novel? Why is he/she the antagonist? How does the antagonist affect the plot and the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death motif in the novel "The Tie That Binds." What deaths take place throughout the narrative? How do these deaths affect the principle characters of the novel? Is there any deeper meaning behind any of the deaths which take place in "The Tie That Binds"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)