|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lyman returned home, what did he and Edith do some work on?
2. Where did Sandy, Mavis, Edith, and Lyman sometimes go for drinks and dancing?
3. What was the name of the bridge that marked where Sandy, Mavis, Edith, and Lyman got into a car accident?
4. What does Sandy say Lyman always dressed in after returning home?
5. What did Edith spend the money Lyman sent her on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leona announce in 1952?
2. What activities were Sandy, Mavis, Edith, and Lyman said to often do together?
3. On the night of Lyman's return, what did he bring out from his suitcases?
4. What was Sandy's educational standing at the end of his fourth year of college?
5. What did Edith tell Lyman about the money she saved?
6. What did Sandy fear would happen if Mavis held her baby?
7. How did Edith and Sandy feel about Lyman's return in 1961?
8. Why does Sandy say he is not proud of the decade that followed his mother's remarriage?
9. What did Mavis say about Edith and Lyman while on the Ferris Wheel?
10. After Roy's death, what did Edith decorate her house with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character Lyman. What are Lyman's defining character traits? What is his role or purpose in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel. What is a protagonist? Who is the protagonist of "The Tie That Binds"? What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of duty. Who does the protagonist feel dutiful towards, and why? Did Lyman feel dutiful towards anyone? How does Edith's sense of duty affect her path in life?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)