|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mavis want to see at the county fair?
2. How did Sandy say he could ask Mavis' father for permission to marry?
3. Where did Sandy, Mavis, Edith, and Lyman sometimes go for drinks and dancing?
4. Who would eventually lease the Goodnough land after Roy's death?
5. Why didn't John lease the Goodnough land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sandy say about his and Mavis' personalities?
2. What did Edith tell Sandy she was looking forward to towards the end of Chapter 9?
3. Why does Sandy say he is not proud of the decade that followed his mother's remarriage?
4. What was Sandy's educational standing at the end of his fourth year of college?
5. What did Sandy fear would happen if Mavis held her baby?
6. When, where, and how did John die?
7. In spite of his objections, what did Sandy do for his mother when she decided to remarry?
8. What did Edith tell Lyman about the money she saved?
9. Who did John arrange to lease the Goodnough land, and why?
10. What story does Sandy tell about the Wellrights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of understanding in the novel "The Tie That Binds." What are some examples of understanding in the novel? Why is understanding so important in regards to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel. What is a protagonist? Who is the protagonist of "The Tie That Binds"? What are her defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haruf's use of metaphors in the novel ""The Tie That Binds." What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)