|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not said to have been one of Edith's responsibilities?
2. In Chapter 4, when Sandy talks about Edith crying, how many more times does he say she would cry in her lifetime?
3. In which city did Lyman find a job after leaving the farm?
4. Where did Roy Goodnough and Ada Twamley get married?
5. Who does Sandy say gave the reporter information for his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Ada in 1914, and how did Roy seem to feel about it?
2. What did John see in the field as he and Sandy drove past the Goodnough farm in Chapter 6?
3. What happened after John and Roy had an argument that came to blows in Chapter 6?
4. Why did John suspect that the barbed wire may be Roy's and not his own?
5. Who did John meet and marry after Edith refused his proposal?
6. Who approaches Sandy Roscoe at the beginning of the book, and why?
7. How did Lyman stay in touch with Edith after leaving her behind on the farm?
8. Why did Edith decide not to marry John?
9. What does Sandy say about the article that the Denver Post publishes?
10. Where did Lyman go after leaving Holt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Edith and John. What did they feel for one another? Why were they unable to get married? How did this affect Edith? How did this affect John?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of escape that is found throughout the novel "The Tie That Binds." Why did the protagonist wish to escape, and from what? Why did she feel that she was unable to do so? What was Lyman escaping from when he left the farm? Why did he end up returning to the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Edith and her father, Roy; what conflicts did they face in their relationship? How did Roy treat Edith and how did she react to his behavior towards her?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)