|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what did Hannah Roscoe offer to Ada?
2. How many fingers did Roy lose in the cutting machine accident?
3. What brand of automobile did Lyman favor?
4. Who does Sandy say gave the reporter information for his story?
5. Before Sandy was born, what did Leona believe about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Roy Goodnough described in the first three chapters of the book?
2. What happened to Ada in 1914, and how did Roy seem to feel about it?
3. Why did John and Sandy take Lyman to the train station in Chapter 6?
4. Why did Edith keep gum in her apron pockets?
5. How did Lyman stay in touch with Edith after leaving her behind on the farm?
6. What did the doctor do to help Roy, and what was the lasting effect of his accident?
7. What did Wenzel Gerdts tell John about Lyman?
8. Why did Edith decide not to marry John?
9. How did Roy try to manipulate his daughter into refusing John's proposal?
10. On what condition did Roy allow John and Edith to date?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel "The Tie That Binds." What are some examples of conflict in the novel? How are these conflicts resolved? Do they have any lasting effects on the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Haruf's use of the flashback. Is it an effective way to learn about the past before the novel's start?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death motif in the novel "The Tie That Binds." What deaths take place throughout the narrative? How do these deaths affect the principle characters of the novel? Is there any deeper meaning behind any of the deaths which take place in "The Tie That Binds"?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)