|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Roy Goodnough and Ada Twamley get married?
2. In which city did Lyman find a job after leaving the farm?
3. What did Roy not allow Lyman to do on the farm?
4. After Roy's accident, what did John send Roy's son to do?
5. Who carried Roy's digits to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Edith decide not to marry John?
2. What accident occurred one day while the Goodnoughs and John were bringing in the harvest?
3. What did John see in the field as he and Sandy drove past the Goodnough farm in Chapter 6?
4. What complaint did Roy make about John in Chapter 3?
5. Why did John and Sandy take Lyman to the train station in Chapter 6?
6. What happened after John and Roy had an argument that came to blows in Chapter 6?
7. Who approaches Sandy Roscoe at the beginning of the book, and why?
8. What did Wenzel Gerdts tell John about Lyman?
9. Why does Sandy think Roy chose the plot of land that he did?
10. What does Sandy say about the article that the Denver Post publishes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the passage of time throughout the novel "The Tie That Binds." How does Haruf depict the passage of time? How does the lengthy time period affect the reader's perception of the characters and the events that take place in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of duty. Who does the protagonist feel dutiful towards, and why? Did Lyman feel dutiful towards anyone? How does Edith's sense of duty affect her path in life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Edith and her father, Roy; what conflicts did they face in their relationship? How did Roy treat Edith and how did she react to his behavior towards her?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)