|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Edith send Roy to see in Chapter 4?
2. Before Sandy was born, what did Leona believe about herself?
3. What did Edith keep in her apron pocket?
4. In what year did Leona and John get married?
5. What was Ada's dying wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaint did Roy make about John in Chapter 3?
2. What happened after John and Roy had an argument that came to blows in Chapter 6?
3. What did Wenzel Gerdts tell John about Lyman?
4. On what condition did Roy allow John and Edith to date?
5. How is Roy Goodnough described in the first three chapters of the book?
6. What does Sandy say was unique about how Lyman ran the Goodnoughs' farm?
7. How did Ada and Roy come to live in Colorado?
8. Why did Edith keep gum in her apron pockets?
9. What does the reporter ask Sandy, which prompts Sandy to kick him off his land?
10. What does Sandy say about the article that the Denver Post publishes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "The Tie That Binds." What other works is Haruf known for? How do his other novels compare to "The Tie That Binds" in term of tone and style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character Lyman. What are Lyman's defining character traits? What is his role or purpose in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "The Tie That Binds." Discuss the Goodnoughs and the Roscoes. Are these families functional? Why or why not? What are some examples of familial relations?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)