|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the doctor who treated Roy?
(a) Dr. Parker.
(b) Dr. Penfield.
(c) Dr. Peters.
(d) Dr. Penner.
2. In what year did Ada become ill?
3. How many children did Leona have with her first husband?
4. What does the reporter take from his back pocket in Chapter 1?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A spiral notebook.
(c) His wallet.
(d) A set of keys.
5. What does Sandy correct the reporter about in Chapter 1?
(a) The value of his property.
(b) The breed of his horse.
(c) The pronunciation of a name.
(d) The time of day.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Roy and Ada first arrived at their land, where did Ada live?
2. What did Roy not allow Lyman to do on the farm?
3. Which grade did Roy and Ada's children never get past?
4. Who did Roy refer to when he spoke about 'the kid'?
5. What brand of automobile did Lyman favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Wenzel Gerdts tell John about Lyman?
2. Where did Lyman go after leaving Holt?
3. What did John see in the field as he and Sandy drove past the Goodnough farm in Chapter 6?
4. What accident occurred one day while the Goodnoughs and John were bringing in the harvest?
5. What does Sandy say about the article that the Denver Post publishes?
6. Why did Edith decide not to marry John?
7. Who approaches Sandy Roscoe at the beginning of the book, and why?
8. How did Ada and Roy come to live in Colorado?
9. How did Roy try to manipulate his daughter into refusing John's proposal?
10. Who did John meet and marry after Edith refused his proposal?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)