|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what did Hannah Roscoe offer to Ada?
(a) A jar of jam.
(b) A bath.
(c) A quilt.
(d) A used pot.
2. In Chapter 3, what did the cutting machine get caught on?
(a) A pile of rocks.
(b) A fence.
(c) A tree stump.
(d) Barbed wire.
3. How old was John Roscoe when the Goodnoughs took residence near his home?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
4. Where did Roy Goodnough and Ada Twamley get married?
5. What does Sandy correct the reporter about in Chapter 1?
(a) The pronunciation of a name.
(b) The breed of his horse.
(c) The time of day.
(d) The value of his property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which grade did Roy and Ada's children never get past?
2. What was Roy's condition for allowing Edith and John to go out together?
3. How did Leona's first husband die?
4. What is Roy thought to have seen fliers advertising?
5. What were Roy's hands said to look like after the cutting machine accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Edith decide not to marry John?
2. Who approaches Sandy Roscoe at the beginning of the book, and why?
3. Who did John meet and marry after Edith refused his proposal?
4. Why did John and Sandy take Lyman to the train station in Chapter 6?
5. What happened after John and Roy had an argument that came to blows in Chapter 6?
6. Why did John suspect that the barbed wire may be Roy's and not his own?
7. What does Sandy say was unique about how Lyman ran the Goodnoughs' farm?
8. How did Lyman stay in touch with Edith after leaving her behind on the farm?
9. What happened to Ada in 1914, and how did Roy seem to feel about it?
10. How is Roy Goodnough described in the first three chapters of the book?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)