|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Roy feel about the fact that Ada was dying?
2. What is the man wearing who approaches Sandy in Chapter 1?
(a) Yellow pants.
(b) A yellow raincoat.
(c) A yellow bow tie.
(d) Yellow boots.
3. In Chapter 3, what did the cutting machine get caught on?
(a) Barbed wire.
(b) A fence.
(c) A tree stump.
(d) A pile of rocks.
4. What was Leona's surname?
(a) Turner Newcomb.
(b) Quincy Newcomb.
(c) Fisher Newcomb.
(d) Barker Newcomb.
5. How did Leona's first husband die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was in an automobile accident.
(c) He had cancer.
(d) He hung himself.
6. What is Roy thought to have seen fliers advertising?
(a) Films about cowboys in the Wild West.
(b) The chance to homestead in Colorado.
(c) Free cattle for farmers.
(d) Holiday resorts in the mountains.
7. In what year did Leona and John get married?
8. In which city did Lyman find a job after leaving the farm?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
9. Where is Sandy working at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) In a barn.
(b) Inside a garage.
(c) Inside a corral.
(d) In a field.
10. When Roy and Ada first arrived at their land, what was Roy's first order of business?
(a) To dig a well.
(b) To plant the crops.
(c) To buy some livestock.
(d) To build a cabin.
11. How many children did Leona have with her first husband?
12. What was Ada's dying wish?
(a) To see the Grand Canyon.
(b) To be buried back home.
(c) For her children to go to college.
(d) For her husband to be a kinder man.
13. What did Roy hate about harvest time?
(a) The labor was back-breaking.
(b) Harvest time meant winter was coming.
(c) It was when town was overrun with tourists.
(d) He and his children couldn't do it on their own.
14. What is Sandy's surname?
15. What is the name of the doctor who treated Roy?
(a) Dr. Penner.
(b) Dr. Peters.
(c) Dr. Parker.
(d) Dr. Penfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Roy not allow Lyman to do on the farm?
2. Who does the reporter say Sandy fought with on the night of the fire?
3. What did John want to do because Roy made Edith so miserable?
4. Who did John meet outside the hardware store?
5. Who is said to have visited the local tavern in Chapter 5?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)