|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what did Roy berate his son over?
(a) Forgetting to feed the chickens.
(b) Accidentally letting a horse out of its pen.
(c) Skipping school.
(d) Not covering the milk.
2. In Chapter 3, what did the cutting machine get caught on?
(a) A pile of rocks.
(b) A tree stump.
(c) Barbed wire.
(d) A fence.
3. Why did Edith refuse John's proposal?
(a) Edith wanted to marry a wealthy man.
(b) Edith knew her father needed her.
(c) Edith didn't love John.
(d) Edith didn't want to be trapped on a farm forever.
4. In what year did Leona and John get married?
5. In Chapter 4, when Sandy talks about Edith crying, how many more times does he say she would cry in her lifetime?
(a) Never again.
(b) Two more times.
(c) One more time.
(d) Three more times.
6. In which city did Lyman find a job after leaving the farm?
(c) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
7. Who does Sandy say gave the reporter information for his story?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) Sandy's wife.
(c) The Goodnoughs.
(d) Sandy's mother.
8. What brand of automobile did Lyman favor?
9. What was Roy's condition for allowing Edith and John to go out together?
(a) Edith and John had to be home before dark.
(b) Roy had to accompany them on their dates.
(c) Edith had to take on more chores.
(d) Lyman must go with them.
10. After Roy's accident, what did John send Roy's son to do?
(a) Get a first aid kit.
(b) Get John's truck.
(c) Call an ambulance.
(d) Find Roy's fingers.
11. What did Roy hate about harvest time?
(a) The labor was back-breaking.
(b) He and his children couldn't do it on their own.
(c) Harvest time meant winter was coming.
(d) It was when town was overrun with tourists.
12. What did John spend his nights doing after Edith refused his proposal?
(c) Sitting at home with his mother.
13. How old was John Roscoe when the Goodnoughs took residence near his home?
(a) Three years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
14. What is the name of the doctor who treated Roy?
(a) Dr. Penfield.
(b) Dr. Parker.
(c) Dr. Penner.
(d) Dr. Peters.
15. How many children did Leona have with her first husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what did Hannah Roscoe offer to Ada?
2. What event occurred in 1941?
3. What does Sandy say is true of all farm families?
4. Why did Lyman ask John for a ride to town in Chapter 6?
5. When Roy and Ada first arrived at their land, what was Roy's first order of business?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)