|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Leona have with her first husband?
2. What is Roy thought to have seen fliers advertising?
(a) Films about cowboys in the Wild West.
(b) Holiday resorts in the mountains.
(c) The chance to homestead in Colorado.
(d) Free cattle for farmers.
3. What does Sandy note that the man who approaches him can't figure out?
(a) How to turn on the lights.
(b) How to ride a horse.
(c) How to tie a knot.
(d) How to open a gate.
4. What did Edith keep in her apron pocket?
(a) A comb.
(b) Playing cards.
(c) A pencil.
(d) Bubble gum.
5. Before Sandy was born, what did Leona believe about herself?
(a) She would be a bad mother.
(b) She would have ugly children.
(c) She couldn't have children.
(d) She would only give birth to girls.
6. How old was John Roscoe when the Goodnoughs took residence near his home?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
7. What did Roy not allow Lyman to do on the farm?
(a) Work without supervision.
(b) Make any decisions.
(c) Entertain friends.
(d) Spend money on equipment.
8. How did Edith feel when John proposed to her?
9. Who is said to have visited the local tavern in Chapter 5?
10. What is Roy said to have constantly done to Lyman?
(a) Lied to him.
(b) Beat him.
(c) Manipulated him.
(d) Berated him.
11. What was Ada's dying wish?
(a) To see the Grand Canyon.
(b) For her husband to be a kinder man.
(c) For her children to go to college.
(d) To be buried back home.
12. How many fingers did Roy lose in the cutting machine accident?
13. What is the name of the doctor who treated Roy?
(a) Dr. Penfield.
(b) Dr. Penner.
(c) Dr. Parker.
(d) Dr. Peters.
14. Why did Edith say John wouldn't sunburn?
(a) He had Indian heritage.
(b) He came up with a sun-blocking cream.
(c) He stayed out of the sun.
(d) He always wore a long-sleeve shirt.
15. In Chapter 2, what did Hannah Roscoe offer to Ada?
(a) A bath.
(b) A used pot.
(c) A quilt.
(d) A jar of jam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sandy say gave the reporter information for his story?
2. Who did John meet outside the hardware store?
3. What did John spend his nights doing after Edith refused his proposal?
4. Where does the man who approaches Sandy in Chapter 1 say he is from?
5. How long was Ada in labor with her first child?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)