|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Edith refuse John's proposal?
(a) Edith didn't love John.
(b) Edith didn't want to be trapped on a farm forever.
(c) Edith knew her father needed her.
(d) Edith wanted to marry a wealthy man.
2. What is Sandy's surname?
3. Which of the following is not said to have been one of Edith's responsibilities?
(a) Shearing the sheep.
(b) Bringing in wood.
4. In Chapter 2, what did Hannah Roscoe offer to Ada?
(a) A used pot.
(b) A jar of jam.
(c) A quilt.
(d) A bath.
5. What is the name of the doctor who treated Roy?
(a) Dr. Parker.
(b) Dr. Penner.
(c) Dr. Penfield.
(d) Dr. Peters.
6. In Chapter 4, when Sandy talks about Edith crying, how many more times does he say she would cry in her lifetime?
(a) Never again.
(b) Two more times.
(c) Three more times.
(d) One more time.
7. What was Leona's surname?
(a) Turner Newcomb.
(b) Quincy Newcomb.
(c) Barker Newcomb.
(d) Fisher Newcomb.
8. What does Sandy note about the photos of the Goodnough family?
(a) Ada is always absent.
(b) Ada never smiles.
(c) Ada seems to shrink.
(d) Ada often looks bruised.
9. When Roy and Ada first arrived at their land, where did Ada live?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) With Hannah Roscoe.
(c) In a cabin.
(d) In a lean-to.
10. In which season did Edith and John begin dating?
11. What is Roy thought to have seen fliers advertising?
(a) The chance to homestead in Colorado.
(b) Holiday resorts in the mountains.
(c) Free cattle for farmers.
(d) Films about cowboys in the Wild West.
12. Who does the reporter say Sandy fought with on the night of the fire?
(a) The firefighters.
(b) A police officer.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His wife.
13. What did John want to do because Roy made Edith so miserable?
(a) Send Roy to an institution.
(b) Elope with Edith.
(c) Kill Roy.
(d) Give Edith some money so she could run away.
14. In Chapter 3, what did Roy berate his son over?
(a) Not covering the milk.
(b) Skipping school.
(c) Accidentally letting a horse out of its pen.
(d) Forgetting to feed the chickens.
15. Where did Roy Goodnough and Ada Twamley get married?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Roy and Ada first arrived at their land, what was Roy's first order of business?
2. How did Roy feel about the fact that Ada was dying?
3. How did Leona's first husband die?
4. What is the man wearing who approaches Sandy in Chapter 1?
5. Why did Lyman ask John for a ride to town in Chapter 6?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)