|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does the narrator describe Ye Wenjie accepting her marriage proposal in Chapter 23, "Red Coast VI"?
2. What pope does Wang meet in the Three Body game in Chapter 15, "Three Body: Copernicus, Universal Football, and Tri-Solar Day"?
3. What causes the Mount Wilson Observatory to have more natural steady air than any location in North America?
4. What warning is repeated several times in the first message that Ye Wenjie receives from an extraterrestrial in Chapter 23, "Red Coast VI"?
5. What does Ye Wenjie begin doing with the locals near the base of the Red Coast in Chapter 26, "No One Repents"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the circumstances at the Red Coast Base change when the new commander arrives in Chapter 26, "No One Repents"?
2. What three bodies does Ye Wenjie use to try to work out the three-body problem in Chapter 22, "Red Coast V"?
3. Why does Ye Wenjie claim the Lord is afraid of nanotechnology in Chapter 24, "Rebellion"?
4. Who is present when Wang arrives for the Three Body player meeting in Chapter 18, "Meet-Up"?
5. What argument does Cheng describe overhearing between Pan Han and his wife in Chapter 16, "The Three Body Problem"?
6. What happens after Shi Qiang barges in on the meeting in Chapter 24, "Rebellion"?
7. How are the Stable Eras and Chaotic Eras on Trisolaris explained in Chapter 15, "Three Body: Copernicus, Universal Football, and Tri-Solar Day"?
8. Why does Ye Wenjie not visit her mother after leaving the Red Coast Base?
9. What happens at the conclusion of Wang's session playing the Three Body game in Chapter 15, "Three Body: Copernicus, Universal Football, and Tri-Solar Day"?
10. What setting is established when Wang logs onto the Three Body game in Chapter 15, "Three Body: Copernicus, Universal Football, and Tri-Solar Day"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Wang Miao in the novel. What is Wang's area of focus? How does Wang become involved in the mysteries of the missing academics? How does Wang's character change in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's repeated allusions to the book Silent Spring by Rachel Carson in The Three-Body Problem. Who introduces this book to Ye Wenjie? How does the book affect her? How does it influence her actions in the rest of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events surrounding the beginning of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution in China. What led up to the revolution? What events of the revolution does the author describe in the beginning of the novel? How do these events set the mood for the story?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)