|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years did the Cultural Revolution take place in China?
2. When do the individuals who killed Ye Wenjie's father say their idealism faded in Chapter 26, "No One Repents"?
3. What word from Chapter 28, "The Second Red Coast Base" means to make an idea or cause widely known?
4. Who is attempting to break up the dual when Wang enters the Three Body game in Chapter 17, "Three Body: Newton, Von Neumann, the First Emperor, and Tri-Solar Syzygy"?
5. Who is the computer specialist from the Information Security Division that is introduced in Chapter 16, "The Three Body Problem"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the extraterrestrial message Ye Wenjie receives in Chapter 23, "Red Coast VI"?
2. How does Pan Han explain the purpose of the Three Body game in Chapter 18, "Meet-Up"?
3. What happens at the conclusion of Wang's session playing the Three Body game in Chapter 15, "Three Body: Copernicus, Universal Football, and Tri-Solar Day"?
4. What happens as a result of the gate computing system in Chapter 17, "Three Body: Newton, Von Neumann, the First Emperor, and Tri-Solar Syzygy"?
5. What does Ye Wenjie's discovery involving "energy mirrors" mean for her work in Chapter 22, "Red Coast V"?
6. When does Ye Wenjie begin sending messages to space? What response does she receive?
7. Why does Cheng say he is being threatened in Chapter 16, "The Three Body Problem"?
8. Why does Ye Wenjie not visit her mother after leaving the Red Coast Base?
9. Why does Ye Wenjie claim the Lord is afraid of nanotechnology in Chapter 24, "Rebellion"?
10. What setting is established when Wang logs onto the Three Body game in Chapter 15, "Three Body: Copernicus, Universal Football, and Tri-Solar Day"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of extremism in The Three-Body Problem. What are some examples of extremism seen in the main characters? What are the repercussions of extremism? How does the author explore this theme through symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events surrounding the beginning of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution in China. What led up to the revolution? What events of the revolution does the author describe in the beginning of the novel? How do these events set the mood for the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ye Wenjie first manage to contact the Trisolarans? How long does it take for them to reply? What is revealed in their reply?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)