|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to scientific research aimed to improve theories for better understanding or prediction of natural or other phenomena?
2. When was the Planck satellite launched?
3. Who holds Ye Wenjie back when she tries to save her father in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
4. Where does Ye Wenjie awaken in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
5. What does "WMAP" stand for in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ye Wenjie arrange for Wang to meet Sha Ruishan in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
2. What setting is established in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"? What has brought Ye Wenjie to this location?
3. What subjects does Ye Wenjie study in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"? Why?
4. Where does Ye Wenjie go after her father's death? Why?
5. Who is Shao Lin and what is revealed about her character in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
6. What setting is established in Chapter 4, “The Frontiers of Science"? How much time has passed as Part II: "Three-Body" begins?
7. Who is Ye Zhetai? What is his character's importance in The Three-Body Problem?
8. Describe the narrative style in The Three-Body Problem. Does the narrative style change in the course of the novel?
9. What satellites are described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
10. What is the "microwave background" and how is it described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters and the relationships of Ying Di, Yang Dong, and Ye Wenjie. What connects these characters? What relationships do these characters have with Wang Miao?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative and language styles in The Three-Body Problem. How well do you think the translator brings the story to life in English? What are your impressions of the technical language in the novel? How poetic is the language?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the game Three Body in the novel. What is the objective of the game? Why was the game developed? What is revealed about the game as the novel concludes?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)