|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was killed along with Ye Wenjie's husband due to an accident at the base, according to the narrative in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
2. When did Einstein visit Shanghai, according to the narrative in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
3. To what team is Ye Wenjie transferred that picks up and analyzes radio signals in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"?
4. For what publication is Bai Mulin a reporter?
5. What are the May Seventh Cadre Schools described as in the Translator's Note in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ye Wenjie taken by helicopter in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"? Why?
2. What satellites are described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
3. What setting is described when Wang logs onto the Three Body game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
4. What is the "microwave background" and how is it described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
5. How does Bai Mulin betray Ye Wenjie? Why does he betray her?
6. What setting is established in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"? How is it described?
7. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
8. Describe the narrative style in The Three-Body Problem. Does the narrative style change in the course of the novel?
9. Where does Ye Wenjie go after her father's death? Why?
10. What subjects does Ye Wenjie study in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's repeated allusions to the book Silent Spring by Rachel Carson in The Three-Body Problem. Who introduces this book to Ye Wenjie? How does the book affect her? How does it influence her actions in the rest of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Ye Wenjie taken to the Red Coast Base? What leads her to work at the base? What kind of work does she do on the base?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the game Three Body in the novel. What is the objective of the game? Why was the game developed? What is revealed about the game as the novel concludes?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)