|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds Ye Wenjie back when she tries to save her father in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
2. What term refers to scientific research aimed to improve theories for better understanding or prediction of natural or other phenomena?
3. What does Sha Ruishan give to Wang Miao to enable him to see the microwave background on their research in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
4. How long does Mozi predict the coming Stable Era to last in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
5. Who is the source of the papers that are presented to Ye Wenjie in jail in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bai Mulin betray Ye Wenjie? Why does he betray her?
2. What setting is established in Chapter 4, “The Frontiers of Science"? How much time has passed as Part II: "Three-Body" begins?
3. What is the "microwave background" and how is it described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
4. Describe the narrative style in The Three-Body Problem. Does the narrative style change in the course of the novel?
5. What is the significance of the literary allusions to Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in the novel?
6. What setting is established in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"? What has brought Ye Wenjie to this location?
7. What setting is described when Wang logs onto the Three Body game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
8. Why does Wang Miao visit Ye Wenjie's home in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
9. Where does Ye Wenjie go after her father's death? Why?
10. What satellites are described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ye Wenjie first manage to contact the Trisolarans? How long does it take for them to reply? What is revealed in their reply?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the three-body problem in physics and discuss how it applies in this novel. What are the components of the three-body problem? How does it apply to Trisolaris? What research is described on this problem in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of extremism in The Three-Body Problem. What are some examples of extremism seen in the main characters? What are the repercussions of extremism? How does the author explore this theme through symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)