|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many regiments comprise the Inner Mongolia Production and Construction Corps, according to the narrator in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
2. Who is the author of the book Silent Spring?
3. Where is the Saint Joseph's Church that Wang Miao goes to in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
4. What was the profession held by Hai Mo?
5. What word refers to the branch of technology dealing with manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What subjects does Ye Wenjie study in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"? Why?
2. Describe the narrative style in The Three-Body Problem. Does the narrative style change in the course of the novel?
3. Why does Wang Miao visit Ye Wenjie's home in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
4. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
5. What imagery is described when Wang looks at the sky using the 3K glasses in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
6. How does Bai Mulin betray Ye Wenjie? Why does he betray her?
7. What setting is established in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"? How is it described?
8. What setting is described when Wang logs onto the Three Body game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
9. What is the significance of the literary allusions to Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in the novel?
10. What happens when the Stable Era begins in the Three Body game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the game Three Body in the novel. What is the objective of the game? Why was the game developed? What is revealed about the game as the novel concludes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters and the relationships of Ying Di, Yang Dong, and Ye Wenjie. What connects these characters? What relationships do these characters have with Wang Miao?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's exploration of history in The Three-Body Problem. What are some historical figures that appear in the novel? Why do they appear? How is history explored thematically?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)