|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Planck satellite launched?
2. Whom did Ye Wenjie marry?
3. What does Captain Shi Qiang admit to Wang Miao in the beginning of Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
4. What civilization is said to be lost when the scorching sun arrives in the game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
5. Who beats Ye Zhetai to death in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What setting is established in Chapter 4, “The Frontiers of Science"? How much time has passed as Part II: "Three-Body" begins?
2. What is revealed in the "Translator's Notes" in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
3. Where is Ye Wenjie taken by helicopter in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"? Why?
4. Describe the narrative style in The Three-Body Problem. Does the narrative style change in the course of the novel?
5. What setting is established in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"? How is it described?
6. What imagery is described when Wang looks at the sky using the 3K glasses in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
7. Why does Wang Miao visit Ye Wenjie's home in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
8. What satellites are described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
9. What has happened to Ye Wenjie's daughter in the novel?
10. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme exploring the uniting of mankind by a common enemy. Why do many of the characters in The Three-Body Problem believe that humankind will be united by the arrival of the Trisolarans? Do you agree with this concept? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's exploration of history in The Three-Body Problem. What are some historical figures that appear in the novel? Why do they appear? How is history explored thematically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters and the relationships of Ying Di, Yang Dong, and Ye Wenjie. What connects these characters? What relationships do these characters have with Wang Miao?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)