|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Saint Joseph's Church that Wang Miao goes to in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
2. What was the profession held by Hai Mo?
(a) Newspaper reporter.
(d) Screenwriter and novelist.
3. What word from Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV" means having mixed feelings about something or someone?
4. Who holds Ye Wenjie back when she tries to save her father in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Two janitors.
5. What does "WMAP" stand for in the narrative?
(a) Watson Microwave Astral Probe.
(b) Waterson Microwave Astrophysics Probe.
(c) Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe.
(d) Wangfujing Microwave Astrophysics Probe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beats Ye Zhetai to death in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
2. Whom did Ye Wenjie marry?
3. Where is the space observation center that is run by the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Peking University's Joint Center for Astrophysics?
4. What was Wen Jie's profession?
5. In what year was the beginning of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution, according to the narrator in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
2. What satellites are described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
3. Who is Ye Zhetai? What is his character's importance in The Three-Body Problem?
4. What information does Cheng Lihua try to get from Ye Wenjie while she is jailed?
5. What setting is established in Chapter 4, “The Frontiers of Science"? How much time has passed as Part II: "Three-Body" begins?
6. Describe the narrative style in The Three-Body Problem. Does the narrative style change in the course of the novel?
7. Where does Ye Wenjie go after her father's death? Why?
8. Why does Ye Wenjie arrange for Wang to meet Sha Ruishan in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
9. What setting is established in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"? What has brought Ye Wenjie to this location?
10. What is the significance of the literary allusions to Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in the novel?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)