|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the codename for China's first test of a three-staged thermonuclear device?
(a) Test No. 2.
(b) Test No. 13.
(c) Test No. 6.
(d) Test No. 11.
2. What does Captain Shi Qiang tell Wang he believes someone is working behind the scenes to accomplish in Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
(a) To ruin scientific research.
(b) To undermine the government.
(c) To cause a world war.
(d) To accelerate scientific research.
3. What term refers to scientific research aimed to improve theories for better understanding or prediction of natural or other phenomena?
(a) Promontory research.
(b) Applied research.
(c) Cognitive research.
(d) Fundamental research.
4. What is the central focus of the book Silent Spring?
(a) Environmental degradation.
(b) The development of Capitalism.
(c) The history of Communism.
(d) The separation of church and state.
5. How has Professor Ruan Wen committed suicide in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
(a) By jumping into a river.
(b) By driving her car into a tree.
(c) By overdosing on sleeping pills.
(d) By hanging herself from a closet door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is Wang Miao contemplating from the Three Bodies game in the beginning of Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
2. What is the organization that controls China's nuclear missiles, according to the Translator's Note in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
3. What scientific paper is presented to Ye Wenjie as one that she wrote in 1966 in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
4. How much time has passed since Ye Zhetai's death in the beginning of Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
5. How long does Mozi predict the coming Stable Era to last in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ye Zhetai? What is his character's importance in The Three-Body Problem?
2. Where does Ye Wenjie go after her father's death? Why?
3. What setting is established in Chapter 4, “The Frontiers of Science"? How much time has passed as Part II: "Three-Body" begins?
4. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
5. What has happened to Ye Wenjie's daughter in the novel?
6. What information does Cheng Lihua try to get from Ye Wenjie while she is jailed?
7. What is revealed in the "Translator's Notes" in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
8. What is the significance of the literary allusions to Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in the novel?
9. What subjects does Ye Wenjie study in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"? Why?
10. What is the "microwave background" and how is it described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)