|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the book Silent Spring?
(a) Rachel Carson.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Matilda Smith.
(d) James Joyce.
2. At the National Astronomical Center at the Space Observation Center, Sha Ruishan examines data from three satellites. When was the COBE launched, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
3. What types of centers does Captain Shi Qiang describe all around the world and working together in Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
(a) Astral Command Centers.
(b) Government Command Centers.
(c) Battle Command Centers.
(d) Research Command Centers.
4. Who has implicated Ye Wenjie for writing a letter that promotes anti-socialist ideals in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
(a) Ruan Wen.
(b) Shao Lin.
(c) Bai Mulin.
(d) Cheng Lihua.
5. What field studies celestial objects at radio frequencies?
(b) Relativity astronomy.
(c) Radio astronomy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Ye Wenjie give to Wang Miao when he visits in Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
2. What year is established in China in the opening of Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
3. What scientific paper is presented to Ye Wenjie as one that she wrote in 1966 in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
4. What word refers to the branch of technology dealing with manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale?
5. From what belief system does the translator note the term "Monsters and Demons" is derived in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What setting is established in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"? What has brought Ye Wenjie to this location?
2. Why does Wang Miao visit Ye Wenjie's home in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
3. What imagery is described when Wang looks at the sky using the 3K glasses in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
4. What is the significance of the literary allusions to Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in the novel?
5. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
6. What does Shi relate to Wang regarding the academic community in Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
7. Who is Ye Zhetai? What is his character's importance in The Three-Body Problem?
8. What setting is established in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"? How is it described?
9. What subjects does Ye Wenjie study in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"? Why?
10. Why does Ye Wenjie arrange for Wang to meet Sha Ruishan in Chapter 8, “Ye Wenjie”?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)