|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who launched the Planck satellite, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
(a) The Chinese Space Agency.
(b) The European Space Agency.
(c) The United States Space Agency.
(d) The Russian Space Agency.
2. What satellite is launched at the Red Coast in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"?
(a) The MPLM-3 satellite.
(b) The KH-9 satellite.
(c) The Kopernik-500 satellite.
(d) The Magellan satellite.
3. In Chapter 1, "The Madness Years" the translator notes some of the most famous intellectuals who committed suicide during the Cultural Revolution. Among these is Lao She. What was She's profession?
4. Where is the space observation center that is run by the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Peking University's Joint Center for Astrophysics?
5. At the National Astronomical Center at the Space Observation Center, Sha Ruishan examines data from three satellites. When was the COBE launched, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 13, "Red Coast III" refers to leadership or dominance, especially by one country or social group over others?
2. What does Captain Shi Qiang tell Wang he believes someone is working behind the scenes to accomplish in Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
3. Who has implicated Ye Wenjie for writing a letter that promotes anti-socialist ideals in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
4. Who is the author of the book Silent Spring?
5. Who is the Political Commissar introduced to Ye Wenjie in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in the "Translator's Notes" in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
2. What has happened to Ye Wenjie's daughter in the novel?
3. Where does Ye Wenjie go after her father's death? Why?
4. What satellites are described in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
5. What does Ye Wenjie remark about potential alien contact in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
6. What setting is established in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"? What has brought Ye Wenjie to this location?
7. When did the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution take place? Why is it important in The Three-Body Problem?
8. What happens when the Stable Era begins in the Three Body game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
9. What setting is established in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"? How is it described?
10. What setting is described when Wang logs onto the Three Body game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)