|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is established in China in the opening of Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
2. Where does Ye Wenjie awaken in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) Inside the Red Coast Base.
(b) At the school.
(c) On a helicopter.
(d) At her father's house.
3. What term refers to scientific research aimed to improve theories for better understanding or prediction of natural or other phenomena?
(a) Cognitive research.
(b) Applied research.
(c) Fundamental research.
(d) Promontory research.
4. Who was killed along with Ye Wenjie's husband due to an accident at the base, according to the narrative in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
(a) Cheng Lihua.
(b) Director Zhang.
(c) Bai Mulin.
(d) Lei Zhicheng.
5. Where does Ye Wenjie describe the Chinese Academy of Science's Space Environment Observation Center in Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
6. Who is the author of the book Silent Spring?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Rachel Carson.
(c) Matilda Smith.
(d) James Joyce.
7. When did Einstein visit Shanghai, according to the narrative in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
8. Where is the space observation center that is run by the Chinese Academy of Sciences and Peking University's Joint Center for Astrophysics?
9. How old was the girl that is described as being gunned down while waving a flag in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
10. What word from Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV" means having mixed feelings about something or someone?
11. What is the furniture made of that Wang examines at Ye Wenjie's home in Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
(a) Tree branches and stumps.
(b) Silver and jade.
(c) Stone and metal wiring.
(d) Brass and gold.
12. How long does Mozi predict the coming Stable Era to last in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
(a) Four years.
(b) Several eons.
(c) Six years.
(d) Two years.
13. What does Captain Shi Qiang admit to Wang Miao in the beginning of Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
(a) He admits he is a spy for the CIA.
(b) He admits he has been following Wang.
(c) He admits to having had an affair with Wang's wife.
(d) He admits that he has been hired to kill Wang.
14. What is the organization that controls China's nuclear missiles, according to the Translator's Note in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) The Third Artillery Corps.
(b) The First Artillery Corps.
(c) The Seventh Artillery Corps.
(d) The Second Artillery Corps.
15. Who has implicated Ye Wenjie for writing a letter that promotes anti-socialist ideals in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
(a) Ruan Wen.
(b) Shao Lin.
(c) Cheng Lihua.
(d) Bai Mulin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What setting is established in the opening of Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
2. What was the codename for China's first test of a three-staged thermonuclear device?
3. How many regiments comprise the Inner Mongolia Production and Construction Corps, according to the narrator in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
4. Who launched the Planck satellite, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
5. Who is Ye Wenjie's daughter that Wang comes to see her about in Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)