|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was killed along with Ye Wenjie's husband due to an accident at the base, according to the narrative in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
(a) Bai Mulin.
(b) Cheng Lihua.
(c) Director Zhang.
(d) Lei Zhicheng.
2. What word from Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV" means having mixed feelings about something or someone?
3. What was the codename for China's first test of a three-staged thermonuclear device?
(a) Test No. 13.
(b) Test No. 6.
(c) Test No. 2.
(d) Test No. 11.
4. Who is Ye Wenjie's daughter that Wang comes to see her about in Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
(a) Shao Lin.
(c) Yang Dong.
(d) Ruan Wen.
5. Where is the United States National Radio Quiet Zone located that the narrator describes in Chapter 13, "Red Coast III"?
(c) New York City.
(d) West Virginia.
6. What are the May Seventh Cadre Schools described as in the Translator's Note in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) Labor camps for Communist re-education.
(b) Private boarding schools for the elite.
(c) Schools for disabled children.
(d) Overseas schools for students studying foreign affairs.
7. What does Captain Shi Qiang admit to Wang Miao in the beginning of Chapter 10, "Da Shi"?
(a) He admits that he has been hired to kill Wang.
(b) He admits to having had an affair with Wang's wife.
(c) He admits he has been following Wang.
(d) He admits he is a spy for the CIA.
8. What field studies celestial objects at radio frequencies?
(b) Radio astronomy.
(d) Relativity astronomy.
9. Who is the director of the Division Political Department that interviews Ye Wenjie in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
(a) Director Wen.
(b) Director Cheng.
(c) Director Lin.
(d) Director Zhang.
10. What was Wu Han's profession?
11. How has Professor Ruan Wen committed suicide in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
(a) By driving her car into a tree.
(b) By jumping into a river.
(c) By hanging herself from a closet door.
(d) By overdosing on sleeping pills.
12. What was Wen Jie's profession?
13. What word from Chapter 13, "Red Coast III" refers to leadership or dominance, especially by one country or social group over others?
14. When does the narrator describe the implementation of the OZMAII plan in Chapter 13, "Red Coast III"?
15. At the National Astronomical Center at the Space Observation Center, Sha Ruishan examines data from three satellites. When was the COBE launched, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device is employed in the following sentence from Chapter 1, "The Madness Years": "Their red flags fluttered restlessly around the brigade building like flames yearning for firewood"?
2. What satellite is launched at the Red Coast in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"?
3. How much time has passed since Ye Zhetai's death in the beginning of Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
4. What civilization is said to be lost when the scorching sun arrives in the game in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
5. To what team is Ye Wenjie transferred that picks up and analyzes radio signals in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)