|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Professor Ruan Wen committed suicide in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
(a) By driving her car into a tree.
(b) By overdosing on sleeping pills.
(c) By jumping into a river.
(d) By hanging herself from a closet door.
2. Who is the base chief engineer who introduces himself to Ye Wenjie in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) Lei Zhicheng.
(b) Bai Mulin.
(c) Yan Weining.
(d) Cheng Lihua.
3. Who was killed along with Ye Wenjie's husband due to an accident at the base, according to the narrative in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
(a) Cheng Lihua.
(b) Lei Zhicheng.
(c) Director Zhang.
(d) Bai Mulin.
4. What is the organization that controls China's nuclear missiles, according to the Translator's Note in Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) The Second Artillery Corps.
(b) The Third Artillery Corps.
(c) The First Artillery Corps.
(d) The Seventh Artillery Corps.
5. Where does Ye Wenjie awaken in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) At the school.
(b) At her father's house.
(c) On a helicopter.
(d) Inside the Red Coast Base.
6. What is the furniture made of that Wang examines at Ye Wenjie's home in Chapter 8, "Ye Wenjie"?
(a) Silver and jade.
(b) Brass and gold.
(c) Tree branches and stumps.
(d) Stone and metal wiring.
7. Who holds Ye Wenjie back when she tries to save her father in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Two janitors.
8. Who is the author of the book Silent Spring?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Matilda Smith.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Rachel Carson.
9. What was the profession of Fu Lei?
(b) Translator and critic.
10. Who is Ye Zhetai's wife in the narrative?
(a) Shao Lin.
(b) Ye Wenjie.
(c) Cheng Lihua.
(d) Ruan Wen.
11. When was the book Silent Spring published?
12. What word from Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV" means having mixed feelings about something or someone?
13. What setting is established in the opening of Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
(a) The Greater Khingan Mountains.
(b) The Qilian Mountains.
(c) The Himalayan Mountains.
(d) The Pamir Mountains.
14. What does "NATO" stand for?
(a) The National Astrophysics Treaty Organization.
(b) The Nuclear Alternatives Testing Organization.
(c) The North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
(d) The National Academy for Technological Order.
15. At the National Astronomical Center at the Space Observation Center, Sha Ruishan examines data from three satellites. When was the COBE launched, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the beginning of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution, according to the narrator in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
2. What is the computer systems called that Ye Wenjie uses to keep an eye on enemy spacecraft and operations in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"?
3. What was Wu Han's profession?
4. Who is the female military representative from the Intermediate People's Court that visits Ye Wenjie in jail in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
5. What word refers to the branch of technology dealing with manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)