|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the computer systems called that Ye Wenjie uses to keep an eye on enemy spacecraft and operations in Chapter 12, "Red Coast II"?
2. What does Sha Ruishan give to Wang Miao to enable him to see the microwave background on their research in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
(a) 3K glasses.
(b) 2K glasses.
(c) 2G glasses.
(d) 3G glasses.
3. When did Einstein visit Shanghai, according to the narrative in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
4. Where is the United States National Radio Quiet Zone located that the narrator describes in Chapter 13, "Red Coast III"?
(a) New York City.
(c) West Virginia.
5. For what publication is Bai Mulin a reporter?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Guangming Daily.
(d) The Great Production News.
6. What was the codename for China's first test of a three-staged thermonuclear device?
(a) Test No. 2.
(b) Test No. 6.
(c) Test No. 13.
(d) Test No. 11.
7. Who is the author of the book Silent Spring?
(a) Matilda Smith.
(b) Rachel Carson.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
(d) James Joyce.
8. How many regiments comprise the Inner Mongolia Production and Construction Corps, according to the narrator in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
9. Who is the base chief engineer who introduces himself to Ye Wenjie in the beginning of Chapter 3, "Red Coast I"?
(a) Lei Zhicheng.
(b) Bai Mulin.
(c) Cheng Lihua.
(d) Yan Weining.
10. What does "SETI" refer to in the narrative?
(a) Secure External Technological Intelligence.
(b) Standard Experimental Technology Intelligence.
(c) The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence.
(d) Social Experiment for Terrestrial Intelligence.
11. What literary device is employed in the following sentence from Chapter 1, "The Madness Years": "Their red flags fluttered restlessly around the brigade building like flames yearning for firewood"?
(b) Dramatic irony.
12. From what belief system does the translator note the term "Monsters and Demons" is derived in Chapter 1, "The Madness Years"?
13. What field studies celestial objects at radio frequencies?
(b) Radio astronomy.
(c) Relativity astronomy.
14. What word from Chapter 13, "Red Coast III" refers to leadership or dominance, especially by one country or social group over others?
15. When does the narrator describe the implementation of the OZMAII plan in Chapter 13, "Red Coast III"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has implicated Ye Wenjie for writing a letter that promotes anti-socialist ideals in Chapter 2, "Silent Spring"?
2. How long does Mozi predict the coming Stable Era to last in Chapter 11, "Three Body: Mozi and Fiery Flames"?
3. Ye Wenjie claims that the Red Coast Project failed to establish contact with alien life forms and disbanded after how many years?
4. At the National Astronomical Center at the Space Observation Center, Sha Ruishan examines data from three satellites. When was the COBE launched, according to the narrator in Chapter 9, "The Universe Flickers"?
5. Who was killed along with Ye Wenjie's husband due to an accident at the base, according to the narrative in Chapter 14, "Red Coast IV"?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)