Part I: "Silent Spring," Chapters 1-3 and Part II: "Three Body," Chapters 4-7
• Part I: “Silent Spring” begins with Chapter 1, “The Madness Years.”
• In this first chapter, an omniscient, third-person narrator establishes the setting in China, 1967, during the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.
• The narrator describes the death of a 15-year-old Brigade member as she waves a flag and is shot down by the enemy; her body is used for shooting practice until nothing is left of it but an eye.
• There are several “Translator’s Notes” in this chapter that describe the Buddhist origins of the term “Monsters and Demons” and that describe the many intellectuals who committed suicide at this time historically.
• The narrator introduces Professor Ye Zhetai, who is brought before the angry Bolsheviks and charged with treason for his teachings of the Big Bang Theory.
• Ye Zhetai’s wife, Shao Lin, leads the charge against...
This section contains 3,058 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)