|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When arriving in Nashville, where does Berryman go?
2. What kind of adviser does Horn hire for himself?
3. What does Berryman do before traveling to Nashville?
4. What is Berryman's father's profession?
5. When Horn is on a live television broadcast, what is he doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
2. So far in the story, what things has Berryman done that could label him as someone who does not care about his own safety?
3. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
4. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
5. Describe the role of Horn's adviser during Horn's political campaign.
6. When Ochs returns to Nashville in Part 4, who is being investigated and what is the importance of the investigation?
7. In what way does Berryman show a lack of friendship toward Ben?
8. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
9. Who is Oona Quinn?
10. What happens when Berryman goes to Bert Poole's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
Essay Topic 2
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 3, Oona Quinn is introduced for the first time. What role does Oona play in the story? Is she important to the investigation Ochs is conducting? What is the significance of her relationship with Thomas Berryman?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)