|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of one of Ochs's articles, what does he personally receive?
2. What does Horn's adviser tell him could cost him many white votes?
3. Why does Berryman go see his father?
4. Who is Oona Quinn in relation to Berryman?
5. Where is Johnboy when he encourages a friend to run for the senate seat Horn is after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
2. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
3. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
4. In what way does Berryman show a lack of friendship toward Ben?
5. Describe the role of Horn's adviser during Horn's political campaign.
6. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
7. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
8. Describe the meeting between Berryman and Johnboy.
9. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
10. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the story ends, Joe Cubbah is the only one who is able to finish his assignment. What does Cubbah's ability to do his job show about his personality? What characters are not able to finish their assignment? Explain your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
After his meeting with Ben Toy, Ochs begins to feel sympathy for him, making it possible that he will forget that Ben is a cold-blooded killer. What could the sympathy Ochs begins to feel towards Ben do to his judgment? What result might sympathy bring to Ochs as the story continues?
Essay Topic 3
Johnboy Terrell is killed at the end of the story. Readers don't find out who his murderer is. What could the lack of knowledge about who kills Johnboy lead readers to feel? Do any particular characters in the story come to mind as to who Johnboy's killer is? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)