|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Berryman leave a note for Ben?
2. What does Berryman let slip to Oona the night they were together before the murder of Horn?
3. Who does Ochs visit after meeting Oona?
4. When Berryman leaves the beach house after he finds the note from Ben, who continues to call him?
5. Who does Berryman see several times in Nashville that causes him to take an interest in this person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
2. What happens between Oona and Berryman during their weekend spent at Berryman's beachfront home?
3. So far in the story, what things has Berryman done that could label him as someone who does not care about his own safety?
4. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
5. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
6. Describe the role of Horn's adviser during Horn's political campaign.
7. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
8. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
9. Who is Oona Quinn?
10. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnboy Terrell is killed at the end of the story. Readers don't find out who his murderer is. What could the lack of knowledge about who kills Johnboy lead readers to feel? Do any particular characters in the story come to mind as to who Johnboy's killer is? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
After his meeting with Ben Toy, Ochs begins to feel sympathy for him, making it possible that he will forget that Ben is a cold-blooded killer. What could the sympathy Ochs begins to feel towards Ben do to his judgment? What result might sympathy bring to Ochs as the story continues?
Essay Topic 3
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)