|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house does Ochs visit at the beginning of Part 3?
2. Who threatens Horn when he's on television?
3. How does Ochs describe Oona?
4. What does Ochs believe his article about the murder of Horn will do to the Quinns?
5. What day(s) of the week did Oona and Berryman stay together a few weeks before Horn's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
2. Describe the meeting between Berryman and Johnboy.
3. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
4. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
5. Describe the role of Horn's adviser during Horn's political campaign.
6. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
7. In what way does Berryman show a lack of friendship toward Ben?
8. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
9. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
10. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Berryman is preparing himself for the assassination of Horn, he notices that his hands are shaking. What does this tell readers about Berryman? Could shaking hands before committing a crime cause readers to feel unexpected sympathy towards him? Are there any other possibilities as to why Berryman's hands could be shaking before he goes to assassinate Horn?
Essay Topic 2
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 5, Martin Weesner is introduced, but only survives one scene. What was Martin's role in the story? How did he become involved with Joe Cubbah? What was the result of his involvement with Cubbah? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)