|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who normally runs errands for Berryman involving the jobs he is going to perform?
2. Where does Berryman leave a note for Ben?
3. What does Berryman question Oona about the morning after he slips and tells her his secret?
4. What kind of house does Ochs visit at the beginning of Part 3?
5. Why does Berryman go see his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
2. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
3. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
4. When Ochs returns to Nashville in Part 4, who is being investigated and what is the importance of the investigation?
5. What happens when Berryman goes to Bert Poole's house?
6. What happens when Horn is on television?
7. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
8. Describe the role of Horn's adviser during Horn's political campaign.
9. What does Ochs say about Oona's parents, the Quinns?
10. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his meeting with Ben Toy, Ochs begins to feel sympathy for him, making it possible that he will forget that Ben is a cold-blooded killer. What could the sympathy Ochs begins to feel towards Ben do to his judgment? What result might sympathy bring to Ochs as the story continues?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, one murderer has been killed. Who is it? What events in the story could lead readers to believe that the murderer expected a tragic ending for themselves one day? Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 5, Martin Weesner is introduced, but only survives one scene. What was Martin's role in the story? How did he become involved with Joe Cubbah? What was the result of his involvement with Cubbah? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)