|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a result of one of Ochs's articles, what does he personally receive?
2. What does Oona say Berryman went to New York City to do?
3. What does Berryman promise Oona before leaving the beach house?
4. Where does Berryman's father live?
5. Who does Horn go visit at the police headquarters in Nashville?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Oona Quinn?
2. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
3. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
4. What happens when Horn is on television?
5. Explain the meeting that takes place when Berryman takes Oona to New York City.
6. So far in the story, what things has Berryman done that could label him as someone who does not care about his own safety?
7. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
8. What happens between Oona and Berryman during their weekend spent at Berryman's beachfront home?
9. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
10. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jimmie Lee Horn is murdered, Bert Poole is stated as the murderer. What events led to Bert's charge of murder? What causes people in the story to firmly believe Bert was the killer of Horn? Was Bert framed? Cite examples from the text that support your response.
Essay Topic 2
When Berryman is preparing himself for the assassination of Horn, he notices that his hands are shaking. What does this tell readers about Berryman? Could shaking hands before committing a crime cause readers to feel unexpected sympathy towards him? Are there any other possibilities as to why Berryman's hands could be shaking before he goes to assassinate Horn?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 5, Martin Weesner is introduced, but only survives one scene. What was Martin's role in the story? How did he become involved with Joe Cubbah? What was the result of his involvement with Cubbah? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)