|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ochs find at the house he visits in Part 3?
2. Where does Berryman's father live?
3. What kind of adviser does Horn hire for himself?
4. What does Oona tell Ochs about during their meeting?
5. Where does Berryman leave a note for Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
2. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
3. What happens when Berryman goes to Bert Poole's house?
4. Explain the meeting that takes place when Berryman takes Oona to New York City.
5. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
6. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
7. What happens when Horn is on television?
8. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
9. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
10. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnboy Terrell is killed at the end of the story. Readers don't find out who his murderer is. What could the lack of knowledge about who kills Johnboy lead readers to feel? Do any particular characters in the story come to mind as to who Johnboy's killer is? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
Essay Topic 3
In the Prologue, readers find out that Jimmie Lee Horn was the first black mayor of Nashville, Tennessee. Horn was killed during a rally on the Fourth of July. Does the race of Jimmie Lee Horn have any impact on what readers may think is the reason he was assassinated? Does the mention of Horn's race cause readers to jump to conclusions since it did not necessarily have to be acknowledged so quickly?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)