|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Berryman go before leaving New York City?
2. What day(s) of the week did Oona and Berryman stay together a few weeks before Horn's murder?
3. Who does Berryman see several times in Nashville that causes him to take an interest in this person?
4. How does Ochs describe Horn?
5. As a result of one of Ochs's articles, what does he personally receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
2. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
3. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
4. So far in the story, what things has Berryman done that could label him as someone who does not care about his own safety?
5. Who is Oona Quinn?
6. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
7. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
8. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
9. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
10. What does Ochs say about Oona's parents, the Quinns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 7, Ochs visits Joe Cubbah in prison. Why does Ochs do this? What does Cubbah admit to Ochs? Did Ochs's visit help his research in any way? What led Ochs to Cubbah in the first place? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Part 7, readers find out where the dead body of Thomas Berryman is found. What events happened previously that leads readers to know who discarded his body? Who did it? Does the involvement of this particular person in Berryman's death lead readers to become suspicious of them?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)