|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Berryman leave a note for Ben?
2. Where does Berryman say he wants to retire?
3. What does Horn's adviser tell him could cost him many white votes?
4. What does one of Ochs's articles for the newspaper he works for receive?
5. Who does Horn go visit at the police headquarters in Nashville?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
2. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
3. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
4. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
5. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
6. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
7. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
8. What happens between Oona and Berryman during their weekend spent at Berryman's beachfront home?
9. When Ochs returns to Nashville in Part 4, who is being investigated and what is the importance of the investigation?
10. What does Ochs wonder about Oona after hearing her stories involving the murder of Horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the story ends, Joe Cubbah is the only one who is able to finish his assignment. What does Cubbah's ability to do his job show about his personality? What characters are not able to finish their assignment? Explain your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 7, Ochs visits Joe Cubbah in prison. Why does Ochs do this? What does Cubbah admit to Ochs? Did Ochs's visit help his research in any way? What led Ochs to Cubbah in the first place? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 3
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)