|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was charged to the person's credit card who contacted Ochs due to his newspaper articles?
2. Who threatens Horn when he's on television?
3. What kind of adviser does Horn hire for himself?
4. What does Berryman promise Oona before leaving the beach house?
5. What does Berryman discuss with Oona the morning after he slips and tells her his secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Berryman goes to Bert Poole's house?
2. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
3. Explain the meeting that takes place when Berryman takes Oona to New York City.
4. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
5. What happens between Oona and Berryman during their weekend spent at Berryman's beachfront home?
6. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
7. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
8. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
9. In what way does Berryman show a lack of friendship toward Ben?
10. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
Essay Topic 2
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 4, Ochs receives a letter from a customs inspector. What does the letter say? What is the connection between the information in the letter and Berryman's visit to New York City? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)