|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Berryman goes to see Johnboy, what does Johnboy do?
2. What does Ochs begin to believe about Oona after meeting her?
3. What are Berryman's thoughts about the car that drives past his house several times?
4. Why does Berryman run an errand for himself when he normally would not?
5. Where did Berryman and Oona stay a few weeks before Horn's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the letter Ochs receives due to his newspaper articles so important to the story?
2. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
3. Explain the meeting that takes place when Berryman takes Oona to New York City.
4. Describe Ochs's writing career for the newspaper in Part 4.
5. What does Ochs wonder about Oona after hearing her stories involving the murder of Horn?
6. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
7. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
8. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
9. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
10. Describe the meeting between Berryman and Johnboy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ochs is writing a book the events that led to Horn's assassination; the story will also reveal the true murderer. Ochs already knows a vast amount of information on Horn due to his research as well as the articles he has written on Horn. How does Ochs describe Horn? What could Ochs's opinion of Horn mean for his investigation? Is he biased due to his previous following of Horn and his career?
Essay Topic 2
After his meeting with Ben Toy, Ochs begins to feel sympathy for him, making it possible that he will forget that Ben is a cold-blooded killer. What could the sympathy Ochs begins to feel towards Ben do to his judgment? What result might sympathy bring to Ochs as the story continues?
Essay Topic 3
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)