|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ochs describe the Quinns?
2. What are Berryman's thoughts about the car that drives past his house several times?
3. Where does Ben go in the midst of a nervous breakdown?
4. Where is Johnboy when he encourages a friend to run for the senate seat Horn is after?
5. What does Oona assure Ochs about Berryman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Horn is on television?
2. What happens when Berryman goes to Bert Poole's house?
3. What does Ochs say about Oona's parents, the Quinns?
4. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
5. Describe the meeting between Berryman and Johnboy.
6. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
7. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
8. So far in the story, what things has Berryman done that could label him as someone who does not care about his own safety?
9. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
10. Why does Ochs go to Thomas Berryman's house, and how does he describe Oona Quinn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 5, Martin Weesner is introduced, but only survives one scene. What was Martin's role in the story? How did he become involved with Joe Cubbah? What was the result of his involvement with Cubbah? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4, Thomas Berryman goes to Texas to visit his ill father. When Berryman visits his sick father, what emotional response do readers feel towards him? Does the scene allow readers to see Berryman from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, Ochs receives a phone call with news that excites him as well as causes a dramatic incline in the story. What news does the phone call bring him? Why is he excited? Could the call help Ochs's investigation? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)