|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Berryman when he thinks about where he would like to retire?
2. How does Ochs describe the Quinns?
3. What kind of house does Ochs visit at the beginning of Part 3?
4. What does Berryman discuss with Oona the morning after he slips and tells her his secret?
5. After Berryman goes to see Johnboy, what does Johnboy do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Horn is on television?
2. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
3. What does Ochs wonder about Oona after hearing her stories involving the murder of Horn?
4. What does Ochs say about Oona's parents, the Quinns?
5. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
6. In what way does Berryman show a lack of friendship toward Ben?
7. So far in the story, what things has Berryman done that could label him as someone who does not care about his own safety?
8. What happens when Berryman goes to Bert Poole's house?
9. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
10. Describe the role of Horn's adviser during Horn's political campaign.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4, Thomas Berryman goes to Texas to visit his ill father. When Berryman visits his sick father, what emotional response do readers feel towards him? Does the scene allow readers to see Berryman from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the story, one murderer has been killed. Who is it? What events in the story could lead readers to believe that the murderer expected a tragic ending for themselves one day? Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)