|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was charged to the person's credit card who contacted Ochs due to his newspaper articles?
2. What does Berryman discuss with Oona the morning after he slips and tells her his secret?
3. What kind of night does Oona say she and Berryman spent together a few weeks before the murder of Horn?
4. What does Oona say Berryman went to New York City to do?
5. What are Berryman's thoughts about the car that drives past his house several times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Berryman and Johnboy.
2. What does Ochs wonder about Oona after hearing her stories involving the murder of Horn?
3. What does Ochs say about Oona's parents, the Quinns?
4. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
5. What suspicious event occurs while Berryman is at his beach house?
6. What events take place right before Berryman leaves New York City, and what do the events cause him to do?
7. What happens when Horn is on television?
8. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
9. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
10. What happens between Oona and Berryman during their weekend spent at Berryman's beachfront home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the story, one murderer has been killed. Who is it? What events in the story could lead readers to believe that the murderer expected a tragic ending for themselves one day? Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ochs finds out from his bosses that he is being sent to Long Island to visit the William Pound Institution. Ben Toy, a patient at the mental institute, says he has information about the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. When Ochs finds out he is being sent to interview Ben, he believes the trip to Long Island will lead to a dead end. Why might Ochs think this? Does the fact that Ben is in a mental institution have anything to do with Ochs's opinion? Are there any other occurrences in the book that show Ben as someone who is not taken seriously, due to his mental issues?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 3, Thomas Berryman spends a weekend at a beach house with Oona Quinn. What does Berryman let slip to Oona? How does his slip cause Oona to be involved in the plan to kill Horn? Was the slip good or did it lead to trouble? Use examples from the reading in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)