|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state does Ochs Jones work in?
2. Who does Ben have information on?
3. How does Ochs describe the Southern man after hearing the events that led to his appearance?
4. What company do the three brothers own?
5. Who orders the hit on the Southern man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
2. When Ochs returns to Tennessee after visiting Ben in the mental institution, what does he learn about Berryman? Why is it important?
3. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
4. When Ochs returns to Long Island, what information is he given?
5. In Part 2, why does Ochs return to Long Island, and what information is he given?
6. Who is Johnboy Terrell and what is his relationship with the Southern man?
7. How does empathy play a part in the relationship between Ochs and Ben?
8. How does Ochs's opinion of Ben change from his first interview to his last?
9. Explain the crime that Ben commits after accepting the order to kill Horn.
10. What makes the Southern man so mysterious in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After his meeting with Ben Toy, Ochs begins to feel sympathy for him, making it possible that he will forget that Ben is a cold-blooded killer. What could the sympathy Ochs begins to feel towards Ben do to his judgment? What result might sympathy bring to Ochs as the story continues?
Essay Topic 2
When Jimmie Lee Horn is murdered, Bert Poole is stated as the murderer. What events led to Bert's charge of murder? What causes people in the story to firmly believe Bert was the killer of Horn? Was Bert framed? Cite examples from the text that support your response.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the story, one murderer has been killed. Who is it? What events in the story could lead readers to believe that the murderer expected a tragic ending for themselves one day? Cite examples from the text in order to support your response.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)