|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the first time Ochs arrives at the mental hospital?
2. Why does Ochs go to a mental hospital?
3. Where was the Southern man from?
4. What does Ben feel caused him to have to enter the William Pound Institute?
5. Who is Johnboy's sworn enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
2. What facts arise that lead Ochs to believe Ben's story of Horn's murder?
3. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
4. When Ochs returns to Long Island, what information is he given?
5. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
6. Where does Ochs go after his meeting with Ben Toy, and what events follow?
7. When Ochs returns to Tennessee after visiting Ben in the mental institution, what does he learn about Berryman? Why is it important?
8. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
9. How does Ochs's opinion of Ben change from his first interview to his last?
10. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 2, Ochs receives a phone call with news that excites him as well as causes a dramatic incline in the story. What news does the phone call bring him? Why is he excited? Could the call help Ochs's investigation? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 3, Thomas Berryman spends a weekend at a beach house with Oona Quinn. What does Berryman let slip to Oona? How does his slip cause Oona to be involved in the plan to kill Horn? Was the slip good or did it lead to trouble? Use examples from the reading in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 5, Oona is instructed to board a plane to Nashville, Tennessee in order to meet Berryman. Oona says she does not know why she is going to meet him, but she goes anyway. What does this tell readers about Oona's personality? Why does she trust Berryman even after she finds out he is a hit man about to assassinate a political figure?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)