|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hired Thomas Berryman to kill Horn?
2. Where is Ochs when he receives an exciting phone call after meeting with Ben a second time?
3. What state does Ochs Jones work in?
4. Who accepts the job for Berryman to kill Horn?
5. What does Ben feel caused him to have to enter the William Pound Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, why does Ochs return to Long Island, and what information is he given?
2. Where does Ochs go after his meeting with Ben Toy, and what events follow?
3. What makes the Southern man so mysterious in the story?
4. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
5. What causes Ochs to be unhappy during his final meeting with Ben?
6. What facts arise that lead Ochs to believe Ben's story of Horn's murder?
7. What happens that causes readers to become more aware of the emotional state of Ben?
8. Explain the crime that Ben commits after accepting the order to kill Horn.
9. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
10. Describe the profession of Ochs Jones.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 3, Oona Quinn is introduced for the first time. What role does Oona play in the story? Is she important to the investigation Ochs is conducting? What is the significance of her relationship with Thomas Berryman?
Essay Topic 2
Johnboy Terrell is killed at the end of the story. Readers don't find out who his murderer is. What could the lack of knowledge about who kills Johnboy lead readers to feel? Do any particular characters in the story come to mind as to who Johnboy's killer is? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, Ochs receives a phone call with news that excites him as well as causes a dramatic incline in the story. What news does the phone call bring him? Why is he excited? Could the call help Ochs's investigation? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)