|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does the story take place?
2. After vising New York, where does Ochs go next?
3. What word does Ochs use to describe Johnboy?
4. How long does Ben tell Ochs he's been seeing a psychiatrist?
5. Who accepts the job for Berryman to kill Horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Johnboy Terrell and what is his relationship with the Southern man?
2. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
3. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
4. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
5. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
6. What does Berryman notice about his hands before the rally, and what does it show readers about him?
7. What news does Ochs receive while bathing in his hotel room?
8. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
9. How does Berryman die?
10. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4, Thomas Berryman goes to Texas to visit his ill father. When Berryman visits his sick father, what emotional response do readers feel towards him? Does the scene allow readers to see Berryman from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 3, Thomas Berryman spends a weekend at a beach house with Oona Quinn. What does Berryman let slip to Oona? How does his slip cause Oona to be involved in the plan to kill Horn? Was the slip good or did it lead to trouble? Use examples from the reading in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 2, Ochs receives a phone call with news that excites him as well as causes a dramatic incline in the story. What news does the phone call bring him? Why is he excited? Could the call help Ochs's investigation? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,975 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)