|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Southern man's profession?
2. Who is ordered to murder the Southern man?
3. What is Jimmie Lee Horn's profession?
4. After meeting with Ben a second time, where does Ochs go?
5. What does Ben feel caused him to have to enter the William Pound Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ochs returns to Long Island, what information is he given?
2. Why does Ochs appear cautious of Oona after hearing her stories about her involvement with Berryman and the plan to murder Horn?
3. Describe the profession of Ochs Jones.
4. How does Ochs describe Jimmie Lee Horn?
5. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
6. Why is Berryman's visit to Texas important to the story?
7. Discuss the role of Martin Weesner in the story.
8. What happens to Johnboy Terrell at the end of the story?
9. In what way does Berryman show a lack of friendship toward Ben?
10. How does Berryman die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 7, Ochs visits Joe Cubbah in prison. Why does Ochs do this? What does Cubbah admit to Ochs? Did Ochs's visit help his research in any way? What led Ochs to Cubbah in the first place? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 2
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 3, Thomas Berryman spends a weekend at a beach house with Oona Quinn. What does Berryman let slip to Oona? How does his slip cause Oona to be involved in the plan to kill Horn? Was the slip good or did it lead to trouble? Use examples from the reading in order to justify your response.
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)