|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After two meetings with Ben, what does Ochs think about his story involving the murder of Horn?
2. Due to Ben's mental health issues, what does Ochs begin to feel for him?
3. What role does Ben say he played in the assassination of Horn?
4. What is Ochs Jones's profession?
5. After vising New York, where does Ochs go next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ochs go after his meeting with Ben Toy, and what events follow?
2. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
3. How does Berryman get assigned the job to assassinate Jimmie Lee Horn?
4. Explain the crime that Ben commits after accepting the order to kill Horn.
5. Who is Johnboy Terrell and what is his relationship with the Southern man?
6. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
7. Describe the profession of Ochs Jones.
8. In Part 2, why does Ochs return to Long Island, and what information is he given?
9. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
10. How does Ochs's opinion of Ben change from his first interview to his last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4, Ochs receives a letter from a customs inspector. What does the letter say? What is the connection between the information in the letter and Berryman's visit to New York City? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 7, Ochs visits Joe Cubbah in prison. Why does Ochs do this? What does Cubbah admit to Ochs? Did Ochs's visit help his research in any way? What led Ochs to Cubbah in the first place? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 3
Johnboy Terrell is killed at the end of the story. Readers don't find out who his murderer is. What could the lack of knowledge about who kills Johnboy lead readers to feel? Do any particular characters in the story come to mind as to who Johnboy's killer is? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)