|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After meeting with Ben a second time, where does Ochs go?
2. What could Ochs's feelings towards Ben cause him to forget about Ben?
3. Where does Ochs Jones work?
4. Where does Ben work?
5. What does Ben feel caused him to have to enter the William Pound Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
2. Describe the profession of Ochs Jones.
3. In Part 2, why does Ochs return to Long Island, and what information is he given?
4. Why is Ochs sent to Long Island?
5. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
6. What happens that causes readers to become more aware of the emotional state of Ben?
7. When Ochs returns to Long Island, what information is he given?
8. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
9. What does Ochs ask the guard at the mental institute to do for him, and what events follow his request?
10. What facts arise that lead Ochs to believe Ben's story of Horn's murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4, Ochs receives a letter from a customs inspector. What does the letter say? What is the connection between the information in the letter and Berryman's visit to New York City? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4, Thomas Berryman goes to Texas to visit his ill father. When Berryman visits his sick father, what emotional response do readers feel towards him? Does the scene allow readers to see Berryman from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 3
When Berryman is preparing himself for the assassination of Horn, he notices that his hands are shaking. What does this tell readers about Berryman? Could shaking hands before committing a crime cause readers to feel unexpected sympathy towards him? Are there any other possibilities as to why Berryman's hands could be shaking before he goes to assassinate Horn?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)