|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Johnboy live?
2. Why is Ochs disappointed about the second meeting he has with Ben?
3. On what holiday does an assassination take place?
4. Who does Ben have information on?
5. How does Berryman get in touch with the men who hired the Southern man?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ochs returns to Tennessee after visiting Ben in the mental institution, what does he learn about Berryman? Why is it important?
2. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
3. What causes Ochs to be unhappy during his final meeting with Ben?
4. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
5. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
6. When Ochs returns to Long Island, what information is he given?
7. What happens that causes readers to become more aware of the emotional state of Ben?
8. How does Ochs's opinion of Ben change from his first interview to his last?
9. What facts arise that lead Ochs to believe Ben's story of Horn's murder?
10. What happens to Ben after accepting the order to kill Horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Prologue, readers find out that Jimmie Lee Horn was the first black mayor of Nashville, Tennessee. Horn was killed during a rally on the Fourth of July. Does the race of Jimmie Lee Horn have any impact on what readers may think is the reason he was assassinated? Does the mention of Horn's race cause readers to jump to conclusions since it did not necessarily have to be acknowledged so quickly?
Essay Topic 2
When Berryman is preparing himself for the assassination of Horn, he notices that his hands are shaking. What does this tell readers about Berryman? Could shaking hands before committing a crime cause readers to feel unexpected sympathy towards him? Are there any other possibilities as to why Berryman's hands could be shaking before he goes to assassinate Horn?
Essay Topic 3
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)