|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ochs asks Ben's hospital guard to get for him after his first visit?
2. What causes Ben to become so scared in Part 2?
3. Who orders the hit on the Southern man?
4. Who is Johnboy's sworn enemy?
5. Who does Ochs visit the day after he investigates Berryman's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ochs ask the guard at the mental institute to do for him, and what events follow his request?
2. Explain the crime that Ben commits after accepting the order to kill Horn.
3. How does Berryman get assigned the job to assassinate Jimmie Lee Horn?
4. What happens to Ben after accepting the order to kill Horn?
5. How does Ochs's opinion of Ben change from his first interview to his last?
6. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
7. Why is Ochs sent to Long Island?
8. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
9. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
10. Who works on the Bowditch ward at the William Pound Institute, and why is this person important to Ochs's investigation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ochs is writing a book the events that led to Horn's assassination; the story will also reveal the true murderer. Ochs already knows a vast amount of information on Horn due to his research as well as the articles he has written on Horn. How does Ochs describe Horn? What could Ochs's opinion of Horn mean for his investigation? Is he biased due to his previous following of Horn and his career?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 3, Thomas Berryman spends a weekend at a beach house with Oona Quinn. What does Berryman let slip to Oona? How does his slip cause Oona to be involved in the plan to kill Horn? Was the slip good or did it lead to trouble? Use examples from the reading in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 4, Thomas Berryman goes to Texas to visit his ill father. When Berryman visits his sick father, what emotional response do readers feel towards him? Does the scene allow readers to see Berryman from a different perspective?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)