|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the location of the mental hospital Ochs visits?
2. What evidence is used in order to convict the murderer of Jimmie Lee Horn?
3. What causes Ben to become so scared in Part 2?
4. What race is Horn?
5. Who does Ben have information on?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
2. Who works on the Bowditch ward at the William Pound Institute, and why is this person important to Ochs's investigation?
3. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
4. What happens to Ben after accepting the order to kill Horn?
5. Why is Ochs sent to Long Island?
6. Describe the profession of Ochs Jones.
7. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
8. What makes the Southern man so mysterious in the story?
9. What news does Ochs receive while bathing in his hotel room?
10. In Part 2, why does Ochs return to Long Island, and what information is he given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4, Ochs receives a letter from a customs inspector. What does the letter say? What is the connection between the information in the letter and Berryman's visit to New York City? Cite examples from the text in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4, Thomas Berryman goes to Texas to visit his ill father. When Berryman visits his sick father, what emotional response do readers feel towards him? Does the scene allow readers to see Berryman from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 3
When the story ends, Joe Cubbah is the only one who is able to finish his assignment. What does Cubbah's ability to do his job show about his personality? What characters are not able to finish their assignment? Explain your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)