|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is Berryman's apartment located?
2. What does ipecac syrup mimic?
3. Where does Ochs return to at the beginning of Part 2?
4. Due to Ben's mental health issues, what does Ochs begin to feel for him?
5. What could Ochs's feelings towards Ben cause him to forget about Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
2. What causes Ochs to be unhappy during his final meeting with Ben?
3. What facts arise that lead Ochs to believe Ben's story of Horn's murder?
4. Explain the crime that Ben commits after accepting the order to kill Horn.
5. What happens to Ben after accepting the order to kill Horn?
6. When Ochs returns to Tennessee after visiting Ben in the mental institution, what does he learn about Berryman? Why is it important?
7. What makes the Southern man so mysterious in the story?
8. Where does Ochs go after his meeting with Ben Toy, and what events follow?
9. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
10. How does empathy play a part in the relationship between Ochs and Ben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 7, Ochs visits Joe Cubbah in prison. Why does Ochs do this? What does Cubbah admit to Ochs? Did Ochs's visit help his research in any way? What led Ochs to Cubbah in the first place? Justify your response by using examples from the reading.
Essay Topic 2
When the story ends, Joe Cubbah is the only one who is able to finish his assignment. What does Cubbah's ability to do his job show about his personality? What characters are not able to finish their assignment? Explain your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 5, Oona is instructed to board a plane to Nashville, Tennessee in order to meet Berryman. Oona says she does not know why she is going to meet him, but she goes anyway. What does this tell readers about Oona's personality? Why does she trust Berryman even after she finds out he is a hit man about to assassinate a political figure?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)