|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does the story take place?
2. After vising New York, where does Ochs go next?
3. What word does Ochs use to describe Johnboy?
4. How long does Ben tell Ochs he's been seeing a psychiatrist?
5. Who accepts the job for Berryman to kill Horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Johnboy Terrell and what is his relationship with the Southern man?
2. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
3. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
4. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
5. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
6. What does Berryman notice about his hands before the rally, and what does it show readers about him?
7. What news does Ochs receive while bathing in his hotel room?
8. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
9. How does Berryman die?
10. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Part 7, readers find out where the dead body of Thomas Berryman is found. What events happened previously that leads readers to know who discarded his body? Who did it? Does the involvement of this particular person in Berryman's death lead readers to become suspicious of them?
Essay Topic 2
The story involves the friendship and business relationship of Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. The two are the most prominent characters in the story due to their roles in the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. Describe the relationship between Ben Toy and Thomas Berryman. When did they meet? How did the two get entangled in the plot to kill Horn? Why did Ben disappear without telling Berryman where he was in order to keep a safe distance between them?
Essay Topic 3
Ochs finds out from his bosses that he is being sent to Long Island to visit the William Pound Institution. Ben Toy, a patient at the mental institute, says he has information about the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. When Ochs finds out he is being sent to interview Ben, he believes the trip to Long Island will lead to a dead end. Why might Ochs think this? Does the fact that Ben is in a mental institution have anything to do with Ochs's opinion? Are there any other occurrences in the book that show Ben as someone who is not taken seriously, due to his mental issues?
This section contains 1,975 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)