|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What race is Horn?
2. Why is the Southern man murdered?
3. Who is ordered to murder the Southern man?
4. Where was the Southern man from?
5. What does Berryman do with ipecac syrup?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ochs go after his meeting with Ben Toy, and what events follow?
2. What does Ochs ask the guard at the mental institute to do for him, and what events follow his request?
3. How does Berryman get assigned the job to assassinate Jimmie Lee Horn?
4. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
5. In Part 2, why does Ochs return to Long Island, and what information is he given?
6. When Ochs returns to Nashville after visiting Ben Toy, who does he have a meeting with, and why?
7. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
8. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
9. Why is Ochs sent to Long Island?
10. What makes the Southern man so mysterious in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Ochs's second meeting with Ben, Ben expresses why he was admitted to the mental institution. Why is Ben institutionalized? Who admits him? Was anything done in order to help Ben's depression?
Essay Topic 2
Ochs finds out from his bosses that he is being sent to Long Island to visit the William Pound Institution. Ben Toy, a patient at the mental institute, says he has information about the murder of Jimmie Lee Horn. When Ochs finds out he is being sent to interview Ben, he believes the trip to Long Island will lead to a dead end. Why might Ochs think this? Does the fact that Ben is in a mental institution have anything to do with Ochs's opinion? Are there any other occurrences in the book that show Ben as someone who is not taken seriously, due to his mental issues?
Essay Topic 3
In Part 3, Oona Quinn is introduced for the first time. What role does Oona play in the story? Is she important to the investigation Ochs is conducting? What is the significance of her relationship with Thomas Berryman?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)