Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does the story take place?
2. After vising New York, where does Ochs go next?
3. What word does Ochs use to describe Johnboy?
4. How long does Ben tell Ochs he's been seeing a psychiatrist?
5. Who accepts the job for Berryman to kill Horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Johnboy Terrell and what is his relationship with the Southern man?
2. Describe Ben Toy's profession.
3. What events take place when Berryman arrives in Nashville before Horn's murder?
4. What does the reader find out is the plot of the story after reading the Prologue?
5. What happens at the country club that gives readers a stronger understanding of the plot to kill Horn?
6. What does Berryman notice about his hands before the rally, and what does it show readers about him?
7. What news does Ochs receive while bathing in his hotel room?
8. What does Berryman do when he travels to Texas?
9. How does Berryman die?
10. What happens to Ben at the end of Part 3, and what does the event cause readers to think about him?
Essay Topic 1
When the story ends, Joe Cubbah is the only one who is able to finish his assignment. What does Cubbah's ability to do his job show about his personality? What characters are not able to finish their assignment? Explain your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 3, Thomas Berryman spends a weekend at a beach house with Oona Quinn. What does Berryman let slip to Oona? How does his slip cause Oona to be involved in the plan to kill Horn? Was the slip good or did it lead to trouble? Use examples from the reading in order to justify your response.
Essay Topic 3
When Jimmie Lee Horn is murdered, Bert Poole is stated as the murderer. What events led to Bert's charge of murder? What causes people in the story to firmly believe Bert was the killer of Horn? Was Bert framed? Cite examples from the text that support your response.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)