|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Berryman do with ipecac syrup?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Pours it in the toilet.
(c) Sells it.
(d) Poisons himself.
2. Where was the Southern man from?
(d) New York City.
3. Who is Johnboy's sworn enemy?
4. What is the location of the mental hospital Ochs visits?
(a) Long Island.
5. Who does Ben inform that he is being followed?
(c) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ochs find out when he receives an exciting phone call after meeting with Ben a second time?
2. What company do the three brothers own?
3. What word does Ochs use to describe Johnboy?
4. Where does Ochs Jones work?
5. What happens to Jimmie Lee Horn at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ochs returns to Tennessee after visiting Ben in the mental institution, what does he learn about Berryman? Why is it important?
2. What is Ochs Jones investigating when the story begins, and why?
3. What happens that causes readers to become more aware of the emotional state of Ben?
4. Who is Johnboy Terrell and what is his relationship with the Southern man?
5. What happens to Ben after accepting the order to kill Horn?
6. Who works on the Bowditch ward at the William Pound Institute, and why is this person important to Ochs's investigation?
7. What makes the Southern man so mysterious in the story?
8. What does Ben Toy inform Ochs Jones about Thomas Berryman's last job when he was hired as a hit man?
9. Why is Ochs sent to Long Island?
10. What does Ochs ask the guard at the mental institute to do for him, and what events follow his request?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)