|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Margaret escapes after Harry is thrown in jail, what kind of power does Angus have?
2. What is the only good thing to come of Henry's wife's death?
3. What lie of Angus's does Margaret believe when she returns to Scotland?
4. What does Margaret admire about Albany and his wife?
5. What changes the people's minds about Albany's plans to invade England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Angus have that Margaret eventually learns when Margaret returns to Scotland?
2. What makes Margaret give up on the idea of divorce when she first considers it seriously?
3. How do Katherine and Henry react to Margaret's plans for divorce?
4. What weighs heavily on Henry's mind about his marriage to Katherine?
5. Why does Angus fight Margaret's divorce request?
6. Why are people afraid to oppose James when he demands that Parliament recognize him as king?
7. What notable change does Margaret see in her son after he speaks to Parliament?
8. How does James Hamilton make Margaret feel?
9. Why does Margaret think Harry is the ideal mate?
10. Why does Angus want to go after Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose the point when Margaret finally becomes her own person in the novel and discuss when this moment is, how the reader knows this transformation has taken place, and at least two literary devices Plaidy uses to convey to the reader that such a transformation has occurred.
Essay Topic 2
Is Margaret a feminist? Use direct evidence from the text as support for your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Chose one child character from "The Thistle and the Rose" and discuss three ways that this specific child influences the story. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)