|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Henry when the novel opens?
2. How does Margaret react to learning that James has stayed for a while with Lady Heron?
(a) She kills herself.
(b) She doesn't care anymore.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is happy, since Lady Heron is her friend.
3. How does Margaret learn that baby James has died?
(a) From a messenger.
(b) James tells her.
(c) She sees it in a dream.
(d) She is there when it happens.
4. What has happened to the woman James first fell in love with?
(a) She has been exiled.
(b) She is killed by Margaret.
(c) She was poisoned.
(d) She was killed for treason.
5. Who remains constantly by Margaret's side after she learns her first-born son has died?
(b) No one; she is terribly alone.
6. Which children does James say he wants to bring to the castle?
(a) Random children from the town.
(b) His nieces and nephews.
(c) His other illegitimate sons.
(d) His other illegitimate daughters.
7. Who is angry at James for staying at Lady Heron's for too long?
(b) The Earl of Angus.
(d) No one; no one knows where he is so he doesn't get in trouble.
8. What country does Henry invade shortly after the second baby James is born?
9. What does Margaret say is the main thing influencing her desire to have James stop with his affairs?
(a) Her pride.
(b) The horrible gossip she has to endure.
(c) How expensive it is to feed all these people in the castle.
(d) Her desire for revenge.
10. What kind of father does James want to be?
(a) Absent but powerful when he is present (rarely).
(b) Cruel and distant.
(c) Any kind other than how his own father was.
(d) Strict but fair.
11. Where is James living when he is 15?
12. What kind of birth does Margaret have with her first born?
(a) A very long but easy one.
(b) An easy one.
(c) A magical one.
(d) A difficult one.
13. How old is Mary when the novel opens?
14. Who is the king when "The Thistle and the Rose" opens?
(a) Henry VII.
(b) Henry Jr.
(c) Henry II.
(d) Henry V.
15. Who helps Margaret make plans to flee the country with her children?
(b) Lord Home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the birth of Margaret's second child a bit disappointing?
2. Why does Margaret lie in her letter to Henry, saying the birth of her next child is imminent?
3. What does Margaret eventually realize after baby James dies about how James treats her in regard to his political affairs?
4. What does Margaret think about during the childbirth of her first born?
5. How old is Margaret when she first becomes pregnant?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)