|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There must also be how many steps at this location?
2. After the drive, Bullivant urges Hannay to do what?
3. Where might this staircase lead?
4. What do they remember about Alloa?
5. Hannay goes into formal service for his country as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hannay end up in the hands of the enemy?
2. How does luck come Hannay's way early in this chapter?
3. Describe Hannay's role in the plans to stop Black Stone from obtaining the key intelligence.
4. How does Hannay end up being chased by the police? How does this chase end?
5. What plan to stop the Germans do the military men have left?
6. Now locked in a room and guarded, what does Hannay decide to do?
7. How does Scudder's black book become useful again?
8. How does Hannay get the old man to reveal that he is the enemy?
9. How does Hannay become doubtful of his gut instincts?
10. How does Hannay come to believe the Black Stone spy is in Bullivant's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hannay's remarkable fortitude and strength of character is revealed?
Part 1) How is this hinted at early in the book? How is this fully revealed later in the book?
Part 2) What is the significance of this strength of character, when one realizes Hannay is an ordinary man?
Part 3) When has your own strength of character been tested or revealed? How did you feel after this? How can this help you relate to Hannay?
Essay Topic 2
Many chapters end in cliffhangers.
Part 1) Describe these cliffhangers. What is the purpose of these cliffhangers?
Part 2) how do these cliffhangers support this as an adventure story? How do they keep the plot progressing?
Part 3) How do these cliffhangers affect you as the reader? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Repetition is frequently used.
Part 1) What is repeated throughout this book? Why?
Part 2) How dos this repetition support the plot, themes, and the main character's personality?
Part 3) What other literary devices are used? How are they used? Why are they used?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)