|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Recently Scudder stumbled upon a sinister international scheme to usher in a state of European anarchy, specifically to get Russia to declare war on what country?
2. Why has Hannay resolved to move back to the Cape?
3. That the murderer ransacked the apartment tells Hannay what?
4. As Hannay speeds along the moor roads in the stolen plainclothes officer's car, he thinks about what?
5. Hannay rides Sir Harry's bike where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hannay's travels up until he is taken in by a Scottish farmer.
2. Who are the first few visitors Hannay has? How does he deal with these people?
3. What is decided between Hannay and Sir Harry?
4. How does Hannay come to meet Scudder?
5. Upon what plan did Scudder stumble?
6. Where does Hannay decide to hide? How does this chapter end?
7. How does Hannay react to Scudder's murder?
8. What is Scudder's unfortunate circumstance? How does Scudder plan to save himself?
9. What leads to Hannay telling a large crowd a fictitious story about Australian politics?
10. How does Hannay end up being saved by a branch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard Hannay is the protagonist.
Part 1) How is he the protagonist? What is known about this character? How does the author make him accessible to the reader?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to Hannay? How is he like any other ordinary man?
Part 4) How does Hannay evolve throughout the story? How does the reader's understanding and perception of him also change?
Essay Topic 2
Hannay is a Renaissance Man.
Part 1) What is a Renaissance Man? How is Hannay a Renaissance Man?
Part 2) How does this seemingly ordinary man become a Renaissance Man? What does this say about other ordinary men and women?
Part 3) Describe someone in your own life who is a Renaissance Man.
Essay Topic 3
Disguise is a theme in this story.
Part 1) How is this a theme? How does this affect the plot and the sense of mystery and drama?
Part 2) How does the use of disguise change throughout the book? What is the purpose of this?
Part 3) What does the use of disguises reveal about Hannay? How does this support the idea that Hannay is both an ordinary man and a hero?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)