|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sir Harry's important political godfather, Sir Walter Bullivant, live?
2. When the old man confronts Hannay, Hannay as Ainslie confesses he did what?
(a) Came from Paris.
(b) Stole a car.
(c) Works for Black Stone.
(d) Stole some money from a car.
3. Hannay knows his cover will be blown when what happens?
(a) They see his picture in the paper.
(b) When he speaks.
(c) When they torture him.
(d) The men come and identify him.
4. Who lies for Hannay when the police come?
(a) Bullivant's wife.
(b) Bullivant's chauffeur.
(c) Bullivant's butler.
(d) Bullivant's neice.
5. Hannay remembers the cryptic phrase "Thirty-Nine Steps" from Scudder's notebook, and also notations about "high tide" arriving when?
(a) At 10:17 p.m.
(b) At 12:17 a.m.
(c) At 9:17 p.m.
(d) At 11:17 p.m.
6. What must Hannay be careful to avoid?
(a) Too much sun exposure.
(b) Being spotted by the enemy.
(c) Several tripwires set throughout the property.
(d) Moving too quickly.
7. What does Hannay feel instinctively?
(a) He should go home.
(b) He should hide.
(c) He still has a crucial part to play in the whole affair.
(d) He will not survive this ordeal.
8. Of what does Hannay accuse the men in Trafalgar Lodge?
(a) Not paying their rent.
(b) Breaking a noise violation.
(c) Being Black Stone and traitors.
9. An upscale private beach known as what is a likely spot?
(a) The Sea.
(b) The Ruff.
(c) The Ocean.
(d) The waves.
10. What happens when Hannay and Alloa meet eyes?
(a) The slightest spark of recognition in Alloa's eyes.
(b) They recognize each other from school.
(c) Hanny begins to cry.
(d) They glare at each other.
11. He hitches a ride from one of Turnbull's companions, named Hislop, who is what?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A cattle herder.
(d) A merchant.
12. Where is this place near?
13. Hannay then has Scaife go down to the beach and count what?
(a) Each step for each staircase.
(b) The number of ships.
(c) The number of sailors on the ship.
(d) The number of piers.
14. Hannay waits until nightfall to do what?
(a) Search for Black Stone amid the rubble.
(b) Go back to the house.
(c) Call his Sir Harry.
(d) Run away.
15. Hannay decides to go with his gut, and hours before Black Stone is to escape with the intelligence, Hannay does what?
(a) Rings Trafalgar Lodge's doorbell.
(b) Breaks down the door of Trafalgar Lodge.
(c) Calls his men to gather for a meeting.
(d) Plans how he will sneak into Trafalgar Lodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once in the dovecot, what does Hannay do?
2. Finally arriving at a quaint fisherman's pond and feeling somewhat at ease, Hannay idly whistles what tune?
3. Who does Hannay bump into?
4. Why does Hannay know about explosives?
5. How do the men react to Hannay's accusations?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)