|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hannay realize about what he spots?
(a) It is a landing pad for the airplane that's been following him.
(b) It is the hideout of the enemy.
(c) It is Black Stone.
(d) It is a good place for him to hide.
2. Who does Hannay believe Alloa to be?
(a) A French diplomat.
(b) The Black Stone spy.
(c) A German.
(d) Black Stone.
3. What does Hannay do now that his suspicions are roused?
(a) He phones Bullivant.
(b) He phones Sir Harry.
(c) He phones the home of Alloa.
(d) He phones the police.
4. The fisherman then reveals himself as who?
(a) Sir Harry.
(c) Walter Bullivant.
5. What do they remember about Alloa?
(a) He did not speak much.
(b) He spoke a great deal.
(c) He was unhappy.
(d) He was odd.
6. What happens when "Murderer!" is cried?
(a) The entire neighborhood is roused.
(b) Hannay laughs.
(c) Everyone stares at Hannay.
(d) No one listens.
7. After the drive, Bullivant urges Hannay to do what?
(a) Lay low until after the meeting.
(b) Come with him.
(c) Search for Black Stone.
(d) Go home.
8. Is Hannay discovered?
(a) No, but almost.
(b) Yes, but he escapes again.
9. To what does Hannay wake?
(a) Dead silence.
(b) Men yelling at each other in the house.
10. What does Hannay not know about the materials?
(a) If they are explosives.
(b) If they are are poisonous.
(c) How to make them explode.
(d) How much is needed to blow out the door but not kill him.
11. Hannay decides to go with his gut, and hours before Black Stone is to escape with the intelligence, Hannay does what?
(a) Rings Trafalgar Lodge's doorbell.
(b) Plans how he will sneak into Trafalgar Lodge.
(c) Calls his men to gather for a meeting.
(d) Breaks down the door of Trafalgar Lodge.
12. After regaining his strength, now __________ days from the important "doom date" of the 15th of June, Hannay decides to go back into England.
13. They all make excuses for leaving, but Hannay tells them they're going nowhere, and he does what?
(a) Blows his police whistle.
(b) Gives the code phrase, "the eagle has landed."
(c) Calls the police on the phone.
14. Hannay knows his cover will be blown when what happens?
(a) The men come and identify him.
(b) When he speaks.
(c) When they torture him.
(d) They see his picture in the paper.
15. The story concluded, Hannay relates that shortly thereafter what war began?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The Great War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hannay kept locked away?
2. Do the military men believe that Alloa could have been an impostor?
3. Hannay remembers the cryptic phrase "Thirty-Nine Steps" from Scudder's notebook, and also notations about "high tide" arriving when?
4. Hannay then spends time spying on what?
5. The person senses Hannay's distress, asks no questions, and tells Hannay to hide where?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)